Neil Peart

Sloppy and Neil Peart just seem not to fit with eachother. After seeing Anatomy of a drum solo he's far from sloppy hes just very technical!

That's what I was refering to as being sloppy technique wise. I think there are several definitions of sloppy here. I'm not in anyway saying his playing is sloppy. But I feel his technique is sloppy.

I'm refering specifically to the big band ending from anatomy of a drum solo.

I don't want to sound like I'm bashing the guy. His technique is not bad. I don't want to make it sound like I'm saying it's terrible, because it's not. Far from it at that. It is just not as clean as it once was in my opinion (not his sound...don't think technique = sound). We can all agree he is a technical drummer and one of the best.

I am not a Rush fan and therefore never realy heard and got into his drumming, but I always heard that he was a great drummer and surely influenced or motivated many of us outthere, so I am pretty surpirsed to read so many critics on his playing.

I should chek out for myself, any recommendations of a live album ? (I love to listen to live albums that's where you can get a hold on perfromance)

Rush In Rio is supposedly an excellent DVD and good concert footage. I haven't personally seen it, but I've heard nothing but good things on this forum.

Crazy said:
I should chek out for myself, any recommendations of a live album ? (I love to listen to live albums that's where you can get a hold on perfromance)

Rush in rio is a cool DVD but maybe its just me but it seems like he lacked the energy in his playin...just seemed like you could tell hes been thru alot of personal trageties...

I think for a live Cd I would recommend Different Stages... To me he was really on top of his game at that stage of his career and its one of his best solos....

Anyone noticed all the washers and dryers in all of Rush's concerts?

Best Bass Amps ever!

Peart is amazing. I saw RUSH on the Roll The Bones tour in 92. Love their stuff in general and Neils playing in particular.

I have kinda gone luke-warm on their recent stuff (last album I got was Different Stages) but the DVDs are fantastic.

I've also got Work In Progress and agree that Neil's a down to earth and likeable guy, shame that he's had the world of crap happen to him in his life and glad he's come through it.

I need to get Anatomy Of A Drum Solo.

bonham990 said:
Anyone noticed all the washers and dryers in all of Rush's concerts?
Yes. Dont tell me u think that doesnt look cool. thats so original. im gonna use that one day heh heh.

Mediocrefunkybeat said:
Rush In Rio is supposedly an excellent DVD and good concert footage. I haven't personally seen it, but I've heard nothing but good things on this forum.
50,000 Brazilian fans singing every word (including YYZ) at the top of their lungs. This crowd gets really into it. While the video & sound quality aren't top-notch like their R30 dvd (they explain why it's not in the Rio documentary), I enojoyed this one much more because the crowd was obsessively into it.

south america must be a great place for touring...people are so passionate there. queen said that it was one of their favourite all time gigs... when freddy and brian did 'love of my life' the audience sang so loud that freddy stopped singing and let them do the song for him while he wept. when 50 000 non english speaking people do that to your lyrics...well, its got to be a high point in your career.

j

Neil Peart is one killing drummer. He definitely goes down in history as one of the greatest drummers. Neil Peart is the reason I started playing drums. I think Neil Peart does his solos in a way that makes it look easy for him.
Now let me talk about Rush. Even though I think Rush makes good music, there is something about them(not just Neil) that makes them musically inspiring. While many bands may just go on with the same style and music for decades, Rush has shown many changes. I know there are some that don't exactly like the 80's sound of Rush, but you have to admit that on every record; Geddy, Alex, and of course Neil show their instint mastery of their instruments. I find it unique that Rush has changed it's sound from time to time. They started with a Zeppelin Clone (their self titled debut with Rutsey) to an amazing hard proggresive rock band in the 70's. Just as this was a unique transition, the 80's held a new surprise. For one, I actually really like the 80's sound of Rush. Yes, you could say it does not have the hard sound of the 70's, yet you have to admit that they still had their own unique sound. And come on, at least they were not becoming sell-outs or pop stars. I even like the modern alternative sound to Rush. No matter what the sound, I always find Rush to be one of the best and most underrated bands in the world (though we as musicians recognize the talent of Rush, Rolling Stone magazine proves to still be an arragont group of music snobs; but that's just my opinion). Neil Peart is God!

PS. I have seen Neil play 3 times in my life (I am only 16)
-T4E Tour: Uniondale, NY (I was only 7, so I don't remember so much from that show except that I had bad seats)
-Vapor Trails: New York, NY: Live at the Garden (that was an amazing show; 3rd row seats from the front; sweet)
-R30: Virginia Beach, VA: I had good seats for this show. The only flop that happened was that Neil's Big Band sequencer hit a glitch and did not go. However, he still just played the part and did an amazing job. No matter how talented you are, there are always going to be flops now and then. It happens to every musician. Great show.

HOW ABOUT THAT NEIL PEART

Im a huge Rush fan, and avid drummer, with many albums and songs under my belt. As with any musician, our orchestrations, style, and musicianship mature over time. Seeing that Rush has been around for 30 some years, one can see the maturation process which has taken place over the 3 decades. My question to all of you is : what albums do you feel really feature Neil Peart at his peak of complexity and tastefullness? Or even what songs from certain albums feature these traits. I like all the 70's, 80's, 90's and latest drumming, but certain songs really stand out. Songs like Cignus X1 from Hemispheres, Jacobs Ladder from Permenant Waves, Marathon and Middletown Dreams from Power Windows, Peaceable Kingdom and Ceiling Unlimited from Vapor Trails, Chemistry and The Weapon from Signals. My list could go on forever and include every song! But what parts in songs, and what songs do all of you really respect and why?

I can't believe that Neil's technique is sloppy nowadays, around the nineties he underwent lessons with Freddie Gruber (who's taught Dave Wekl and Steve Smith) that refined his technique and approach to drums. The two albums and live albums after that period doesn't show his lack of energy or playing and from the Anatomy Of A Drum Solo only proves that he is as amazing as ever! Rush is definately a band to check out!!

HOW ABOUT THAT NEIL PEART

Im a huge Rush fan, with many songs under my belt. I am seeking out other Rush fans to see which songs they feel are the greatest, in terms of orchestration, and chops. Which songs do you feel, and or albums, showed Peart at his peak. For example, The Weapon and Chemistry from the album Signals. Cygnus X1 and Circumstances from Hemispheres. Marathon and Middletown Dreams from Power Windows and so on and so forth. Which parts in each song do you think feature greatness. Just curious as to what other Peart fans think about certain songs.

balboa said:
I am seeking out other Rush fans to see which songs they feel are the greatest, in terms of orchestration, and chops. Which songs do you feel, and or albums, showed Peart at his peak.

To be honest, I don't consider myself a Rush fan at all anymore. I was into them when I first started drumming in the mid-80's and I got a lot of inspiration from their 70's and early 80's output, but they don't do it for me personally now. Anything post-Signals is tough for me to deal with. However, I do have respect for them as players, as all-around good guys and as survivors. I also owe a big debt to them for my early development musically, I'm just not into the Rush thing anymore. BUT ...

...at the time I would've said Hemispheres. The band arrangements as a whole and Neil's drumming in particular are interesting. I think Moving Pictures rocks more overall, but in that different "every-song-on this-album-could-possibly-be-a-single" kind of way.

Last edited:
Drummers like Dennis Chambers, Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colaiuta, Adam Nussbaum, Chad Wackerman and Jack DeJohnette completely and totally blow Neil Peart away. It doesn't matter if they're not rock drummers and he is. Neil Peart has to be one of the most overrated drummers of all time. I'd bet at least one in five drummers that graduates from the Berklee of music every year can do everything that Neil Peart can do including the odd time. The only difference is he's in huge band that's been huge for a long time and they're not.

Jason Dorn said:
The legend he has probably been the second most influential rock drummer of all time behind John Bonham. I love everything about his playing his consistancy is second to none every note is played as intended the stick is the same height from the head the attacking angle the same. A machine he flows seamlessly through odd time and complicated multi time patterns. I noticed very early on long before I thought of becoming a drummer that there was something special about his playing he really took the progressive styling to a whole new level. I hear a Billy Cobham influence in his playing but where Billy had a little bit of slop (not a slam it was because he was pushing the boundrys and believed in preserving the integrity of the live performance) Neil strived to nail every part exactly the same every time. I have so much to thank this man for he has filled me with joy listening to his playing. He made me want to become a drummer I have only been playing 5 yrs but have been airdrumming since I can remember because of him. Also he has been an inspiration to me in life to continue drumming with the passion he has after the horrible tragedies in his life ( he lost his wife and daughter in the same year) drives me to overcome any obstacles in my life. Alot of people would say he is busy and doesnt play in the pocket but if you listen closley you will notice that he has a great ability to use space and not crowd the beat at all the appropriate moments. Imo the whole drumming world is a better place because of him.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Neil_Peart.html

Few people know that the late Johnny Carson was a drummer. He would have on his show as often as possible Buddy Rich. I saw Buddy one night talking to Johnny, when Johnny asked if he had seen the Rolling Stones at Madiso Square Garden. Buddy said "Yeah" and they have the worst drummer he had ever seen". Johnny just lost it laughing. he than asked who he thought was a good rock drummer. Buddy answered "Neil Pert".
Neil Pert's inspiration was Buddy Rich.

the skin man said:
Drummers like ... blow Neil Peart away.

Blah blah blah. Dude, that may well be true in some subjective way, but back in the 1970s when I first heard Neil, nobody was doing what he was doing. It's one thing to come along afterwards and cop somebody's licks, but to create the style in the first place, that's something much more important and valuable. I could play all Neil's parts too if I chose to, but that wouldn't make me the groundbreaker that he is.

the skin man said:
Drummers like Dennis Chambers, Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colaiuta, Adam Nussbaum, Chad Wackerman and Jack DeJohnette completely and totally blow Neil Peart away. It doesn't matter if they're not rock drummers and he is. Neil Peart has to be one of the most overrated drummers of all time. I'd bet at least one in five drummers that graduates from the Berklee of music every year can do everything that Neil Peart can do including the odd time. The only difference is he's in huge band that's been huge for a long time and they're not.

n00b post of the day award goes to you !

Bravo !

Back