Barriemore Barlow

Yeah, now we need you to go shoot a VID of him, Bernard!.. would be great to see him play again. He was so far ahead of most of his contemporaries, technique wise, IMO.

In an era of bashers and thrashers, he, Bonham & Mitchell, really stood out for their technique.

I wholeheartedly agree with you here Aydee. And I don't wish to hijack this thread because it is for Barriemore, but may we add Aynsley Dunbar to your list of drum technique players amongst the bashers and thrashers of that era ? ( and now back to B.B. )

I reckon Barriemore Barlowe is absolutely amazing. The fills during the intro to "No Lullaby" on Bursting Out are immaculate. I learned to play kit by playing along with Thick As A Brick (when it was still fresh..). I read in a Modern Drummer interview dated sometime in the early '80's that Barlowe's favourite drummer was Harvey Burns who played on the Cat Steven's classics - Tea For The Tillerman etc.. I don't think of Burns as a technician like Barlowe, but when it comes to pure musicality, they both sit right in the pocket... Not just tub thumpers.. musicians!

I am a Tull fan for sure. He is am amazing drummer. I never got to see them when he was in the band. I have seen them with Doane Perry multiple times. Always a treat, Ian is the consummate showman. They must have been something to see back in the day.

Glad to hear he may be playing again--it would be great to see him at work again.

Greetings from Barcelona!

The last notice I have is Mr. Barlow is playing with Roland Chadwick in a project called "Native Tongue".
You can check it here: http://cdbaby.com/cd/rolandc4 and listen some tracks.

I've been a fan of Barlow's drumplay since 80's when I discover him and tried to make a tribute web, but my skills are not enough (like my english!).
Whatever, you can find it here (in spanish): http://awebando.iespana.es/index.htm
Unfortunatedly is not actualized (and works very bad), but there is some information about his carreer after Jethro Tull.
I put a little video of Barlow playing a little solo at youtube too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIeh89f6mD0
It's from an USA tour at 1976.
I hope this can help to remember this great drummer. I am glad to see him at drummerworld!

Hello Sergio. Barriemore Barlow is my favorite drummer and I have searched for any transcripts of his playing. Do you have any drum transcriptions from Songs From the Wood or Heavy Horses (in addition to No Lullaby)? I would love to see any that you have. Specifically, the time signature on Hunting Girl has me a little baffled. Thanks.

Hey!

just saw this, yes I did transcribe the whole second half of A Passion Play myself. Some parts just list the time signatures and the grooves but most of it it's note-for-note. I can make copies and send them to you. I also have the whole Minstrel In The Gallery album transcribed if anyone wishes to have those, Baker St. Muse and all, and most Tull songs with Barrie like Dark Ages, No Lullaby and many more.

I can not find that mag Drum Head over here. Any chances of someone getting it for me in change of some Barlow transcriptions? Even just photocopies of the Barrie interview?

Sergio

Re: Any Barriemore Barlow fans out there?

Yes, i'm a big fan of him. Please give greetings....

Bernhard

John Bonham on Barriemore Barlow:
"the greatest Rock Drummer England ever produced"

Yes, i'm a big fan of him. Please give greetings....

Bernhard

John Bonham on Barriemore Barlow:
"the greatest Rock Drummer England ever produced"

I certainly will, but please feel free to tell him yourself on our board if you'd like.

Cheers.

Paul

Bernhard is absolutely right. Word was that Bonham was actually in awe and intimidated by BB, and would try and avoid gigs that featured them both on the same bill.

Interesting. I never heard that although I've read John thought Barrie was quite good.

In my very humble opinion, "Thick As a Brick" is one of the greatest rock-n-roll records ever, and Barriemore's performance on it is one for the ages.

Bernhard is absolutely right. Word was that Bonham was actually in awe and intimidated by BB, and would try and avoid gigs that featured them both on the same bill.

Yes I heard that also but I also heard they were good friends too. JT's "Cross Eyed Mary" & "Aqualung" are some of my favs by him.

Bonzolead

Yes I heard that also but I also heard they were good friends too. JT's "Cross Eyed Mary" & "Aqualung" are some of my favs by him.

Bonzolead

I am pretty sure that Clive Bunker played drums on "Aqualung" and not Barriemore Barlow. Hmmm. I'll have to look that up.

Yessir I was a Jethro Tull fan when their first album came out. Always loved the drumming in Jethro Tull. Awesome. I used to listen to those early albums over and over. I thoroughly enjoyed the article linked to at the bottom of that Wikipedia page, where Ian Anderson talks about all his drummers - http://www.tullpress.com/mddec90.htm

I am pretty sure that Clive Bunker played drums on "Aqualung" and not Barriemore Barlow. Hmmm. I'll have to look that up.

Yep. Barriemore's first album with Tull was "Thick as A Brick". I found their sound, style and feel pretty similar - earthy, rocky timekeeping with flamboyant tom flourishes. I wonder how much of that was Ian Anderson's doing? Barriemore had to navigate the more complex arrangements; his work on TAAB was jaw-dropping in its tighness and flexibility.

Great band, although two of my favourite somgs of theirs are from the Bunker era - "My God" and "Living In The Past". My fave Barrimore work is the first 10 mins or so of TAAB.

Just want to say how much BB's drumming was and continues to be inspirational. I saw Tull 3 times in the 70's, and Barrie's drumming was always spellbinding. His solos evolved substantially each time I saw him. The last time I saw Tull, UK was the warm up band in Nov 1979. I was in drummer's heaven as a young Terry Bozzio took center stage with UK and blew everyone's mind. Tull did their Stormwatch tour, complete with a stage set up that looked like a ship. Barrie's solo that night was somewhat like Conundrum, but with an added section that contained linear grooves with cowbell interspersed, it sounded like his version of Steve Gadd, but still original. Now 30 years later, Barriemore Barlow still holds my interest, even next to Virgil Donati, Vinnie Colaiuta, and the current greats.

Was in Guitar Center in Boston yesterday, saw the Drumhead Magazine and grabbed it right up--I was going to post it here, but I see somebody already saw it.

Great interview--now I understand why he had disappeared from sight for so long.

Delighted that Bernard noticed and put him on the site--that was a real omission in my view. He's absolutely a great, great drummer, and I am glad to see him here. Nice work Bernard!

Glad to hear he may be playing again--it would be great to see him at work again.
Another BB fan here - having not seen this old article, why did he disappear?
What is he up to these days?

Hello from Brisbane, Australia! Just joined Drummerworld especially so I could add my voice to the chorus of appreciation for the work of the awesome Barrie. Ever since I heard TAAB in 1972 I've been a fan, in fact it's partly his fault that I started playing. I saw Tull in 1974 and 1977 at Festival Hall in Brisbane and to this day I can't think of any other show to top them, especially the first one. Sensational! Thanks guys. And thanks Barrie, I don't know if you visit this forum but cheers for the inspiration, I hope all is well with you and long may you play!

Rosko

Hey!

just saw this, yes I did transcribe the whole second half of A Passion Play myself. Some parts just list the time signatures and the grooves but most of it it's note-for-note. I can make copies and send them to you. I also have the whole Minstrel In The Gallery album transcribed if anyone wishes to have those, Baker St. Muse and all, and most Tull songs with Barrie like Dark Ages, No Lullaby and many more.

I can not find that mag Drum Head over here. Any chances of someone getting it for me in change of some Barlow transcriptions? Even just photocopies of the Barrie interview?

Sergio

Hello Sergio,
I am Honza from Prague, Czech republic, I play in a band called "Bratranci Veverkove Jethro Tull Tribute Band" for 2 years. Barry Barlow is my the most influent drummer among all drummers in the world. I am just amazed of his style of playing. You can watch some You Tube things of our gigs here in Prague. We do have friends among Jethro Tull Tribute bands in the world, Beggar's Farm or Mother Goose from Italy as well. Our guitar player writes down all the notes which he transcribes from hearing to the music software (Guitar Pro, Sibelius etc.). But I am very interested of your work. Now I am approaching to the Minstrel In The Gallery song. It is really hard to play. Could you please inform me or help me with some special breaks which Barry plays? I would be very grateful of any hearing from you.
Best wishes in 2011.
Honza

Last edited:
Back