Breaking Vic Firth Drum Sticks?

D Money

Has anyone else used Vic Firth's Nylon tip sticks? I bought a ten dollar pair from the music store and one stick cracked in half in a matter of minutes! I have heard very good things about Vic Firth Sticks but whenever I buy Vic brand sticks, they seem to break so easily. I ended up buying some Vater brand sticks and they work great! I am really surprised.

I've been using VF nylon tip sticks exclusively for almost 10 years, and have only come across a few sticks that split unexpectedly after just a little playing. Wood is organic, and any manufacturer's stick is subject to weaknesses, and strengths (ever used a stick until it finally wore down and started to flex, but it never actually broke?)

Nobody can truthfully claim that their wood stick lasts longer. there are just too many variables when using wood.

Bermuda

I used Vic Firth sticks for the better part of 20 years always breaking after 3-5 sessions or so. Figured I was just a hard hitter and would have to live with it. A year ago I switched to pro mark oak sticks. I have never broken one and they stay "together" longer keeping the balance good for quite some time.

I've never had any Vic Firth sticks break unexpectedly, they splint and wear out until they lose the feel entirely. Playing roughly 15 hours a week, I switch once a month or so. I've recently started using the 5AN as well, I'm very pleased with them. The wooden tips seems to split pretty easily, which is mainly why I switched to nylon tip, but the nylon brings out a brighter, more crisp stick attack on the ride which is perfect for my Sabian 3 point ride.

I find the VF sticks very durable, therefore I've used them almost exclusively for almost ten years. However, I've had some sticks breaking prematurely. Here's a thread discussing the issue. http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96205

I had a few VF 5A's split exactly the same way that you showed in the pics in your link over the space of a couple of weeks; one pair after less than 10 seconds. But overall, I've stuck with VF for over 15 years.

Nobody can truthfully claim that their wood stick lasts longer. there are just too many variables when using wood.

Very, very true.

A year ago I switched to pro mark oak sticks. I have never broken one and they stay "together" longer keeping the balance good for quite some time.

That's the only other wood stick I really like, and had used those back in the "Golden Oak" days and loved the feel. I don't recall them outlasting other sticks though, which is why I was always on the search for a better stick. I'd tried all of the great (and not-so-great) synthetics, none of which were permanent either. RiffRite came the closest to a wood feel at the time, but they were obscenely expensive - $34/pair in 1984 - and were gone by the late '80s. Mainline came along in 1995 and were fabulous, but they also went away within 5 or 6 years.

Given that wood sticks are the ones that persist, we just have to accept that they typically sooner than we'd like.

Bermuda

Has anyone else used Vic Firth's Nylon tip sticks? I bought a ten dollar pair from the music store and one stick cracked in half in a matter of minutes! I have heard very good things about Vic Firth Sticks but whenever I buy Vic brand sticks, they seem to break so easily. I ended up buying some Vater brand sticks and they work great! I am really surprised.

I don't know what my deal is, but I break Vic Firth and Zildjian sticks within minutes. Pro Mark last a few weeks, Vater a few months.

Must be how they cut along/against the grain, lathe them, etc and how that aligns with how I play. I dunno. I don't get it. Been playing for 30 years...been my experience since day 1 with all stick brands.

When I play solo snare drum or orchestral, I only play Vic Firth, but on a drum set, they don't work for me.

Just broke a pair of Vic Firth 8DN's that I've been using every day for 6 months. Pretty satisfied with those...

My pair of VF sticks lasted for 7 months before a crack started developing on the mid-taper part. I was so impressed that I bought another pair. We'll see how long this new pair will last. If it lasts as long as the first pair, I'm sticking with them (pun intended).

I've been playing Vics exclusively the last two years and sure, I've had a few break, but then, I play hard. I can't remember any breaking in half within a week except for some maple sticks I bought several years ago; the maple sticks I've been using recently have lasted for months.

Every brand is going to have a few duds now and then. It happens but I do know Vic Firth has some rigorous testing processes including tone-matching within a few hz, to match pairs of sticks. That's quality.

On a personal note I've never liked Vic Firth because they feel artificial to me. My favorite drummers use Vic Firth. However I play Pro Mark. Vic Firth is in no way bad quality though, actually quite the opposite. I'm sure if you called them they'd make it up to you in some way.

I used to break Vic Firth sticks every 2 weeks and I moved over to Vater because I love their Nude Series, which I've found to be more durable. However, I did have one that broke off a huge chunk after minimal playing. I wish I could be refunded 5 bucks cuz now I have this single stick that doesn't have he same weight as any of my others.

I used to use Vater 5A sticks, pretty durable, but didn't feel thick enough for me, so I bought some Vic Firth Rock sticks, they work pretty well.

i use Vic Furth "metal" wood tip, i play hard at times, but ive used them for years, i find them mostly durable,(its a heavy stick) but sometimes u do get a bad batch & they break w minimal use. could be a weak part of the tree, but they r perfect for me...i used to use the "Rock crushers" & was very pissed they stopped makin them, they were very durable!! it was a darker wood, (dont know the wood)strong!!...then i went to metal because it was as close to the "R.Crusher" i could get but not as durable but i still like them.

I do not remember the last time I broke a stick. They have mostly been Vater, with some Vic Firth and ProMark. Peace and goodwill.

I used to read about guys always breaking their 5 A/B sticks, and complain. I told some to go to a 2B and play the same as they did with the 5s. Breakage dropped dramaticly. We need to be reminded that we should not get in a rut with what we like, but should match the stick to the scene. If you need to play louder, consider or change the amplification set up.

I've never had any Vic Firth sticks break unexpectedly, they splint and wear out until they lose the feel entirely. Playing roughly 15 hours a week, I switch once a month or so. I've recently started using the 5AN as well, I'm very pleased with them. The wooden tips seems to split pretty easily, which is mainly why I switched to nylon tip, but the nylon brings out a brighter, more crisp stick attack on the ride which is perfect for my Sabian 3 point ride.

Allow me to quote myself here, to say that this is the opposite of my experience with VF sticks lately. The last 4-5 pairs 5AN have snapped prematurely. A reason for this may be that my playing technique has changed, I don't chug away on the edge of the hi-hat, and I've developed good precision for rimshots, involving less force on the hoop and more on the drumhead. As a result, the damage done to the sticks is a bit of splinting on the taper, and marks along the shaft, until they just snap. Still breaking a pair every months or so, but I probably don't even play 7 hours a week now... more time spent on the pad.

The logical answer here is that I should be using a bigger stick, but even 55A feels too big and 5B is certainly out of the question. Or is it a matter of getting used to?

I've used VF sticks for a long time.........................normally they just whittle away, like every stick does, but they have been pretty durable over the years.

I had a pair last year, that just split in half....................not a "normal" break, just broke right in the middle of the stick. I contacted VF, and they took care of me. Hands down, the best customer service I've ever experienced.

Back