Gene Hoglan

Re: gene hoglan

I love his work with Strapping Young Lad. I don't like his drumming with Death. He's very fast, powerful, tasteful, and has an excellent technique. I really don't understand why drummers like he stay (relatively) unknow.

I have been eating like a sumo wrestler lately trying to gain some weight.I think that the big Hoglan belly lends toward better balance or something.I saw him here in Tampa and he was playing with 10 lb wieghts on his ankles.He said he usually does it just at practice but he felt like wearing them that day.His dbl bass work was hella fast.Gene is a real monster.

I love his work with Strapping Young Lad. I don't like his drumming with Death. He's very fast, powerful, tasteful, and has an excellent technique. I really don't understand why drummers like he stay (relatively) unknow.
Gene is NOT relatively unknown..
For drummers who want to know more about MEAN GENE do a search on
Dark Angel,Death (some of the most TECHNICAL METAL ever recorded)
SSL and anything with Devin townsend as devin has about 100 projects going..
you will find tons on this moster player...
I felt like a midget standing beside him..........
Tim

Gene is NOT relatively unknown..
For drummers who want to know more about MEAN GENE do a search on
Dark Angel,Death (some of the most TECHNICAL METAL ever recorded)
SSL and anything with Devin townsend as devin has about 100 projects going..
you will find tons on this moster player...
I felt like a midget standing beside him..........
Tim

Wow! Tim Waterson :)!

What I meant is that Joey Jordison, for example, is more known than Gene, whether it's within the drummers community or in general public. Travis Barker also. Although, so far, Gene's work is more impressive than theirs (for me at least). He's just not in a commercial band that makes people talk about.

The number of replies on this thread is the proof (5 so far). Should anyone start a thread on Jordison, he'll get some 30 replies pretty quickly (well, maybe not :) ).

PS: Strapping Young Lad is probably my favourite metal band, so I know Gene's work and bio pretty well. I've listened to the Symbolic record by Death as well. Anyone should listen to Alien (by Strapping). Some of the most violent, psychedelic, abstract and complex metal record made. A perfect showcase of Gene's capacities!

Gene is sick. I loved his work on the Alien album but live he's even sicker! By the way, I still don't get how he can play like that with those enormous boots...

Wow! Tim Waterson :)!

What I meant is that Joey Jordison, for example, is more known than Gene, whether it's within the drummers community or in general public. Travis Barker also. Although, so far, Gene's work is more impressive than theirs (for me at least). He's just not in a commercial band that makes people talk about.

The number of replies on this thread is the proof (5 so far). Should anyone start a thread on Jordison, he'll get some 30 replies pretty quickly (well, maybe not :) ).

PS: Strapping Young Lad is probably my favourite metal band, so I know Gene's work and bio pretty well. I've listened to the Symbolic record by Death as well. Anyone should listen to Alien (by Strapping). Some of the most violent, psychedelic, abstract and complex metal record made. A perfect showcase of Gene's capacities!
\

Joey and Travis play in commercially successfull RADIO bands so of course they are going to more known to the general poplulous....
Some of the best drummers are relatively unknown to the rest of the world
Tim.

gene has had a few features in modern drummer which is a good thing.he is just one of the best drummers out there.im very much looking forward to his dvd!

I find Gene's playing so good that its almost comical. I think that he is one of the most underrated metal players out there. People are constantly talking about Jason Bittner, Joey Jordison, and Chris Adler; all good drummers, but Gene is in a category by himself. I cannot wait for his DVD.

Gene has been there from the beginning. He held Dave Lombardo's kick drum in place during the recording of "Chemical Warfare". Who would have known that that Dave's "Roadie" would turn out to be a monster in his own right?

Hoglan and Townsend rule!!!

Agree with the above statement, I remember being 17 and hearing Darkness Descends when it first came out in '86, that record blew me away, virtually nothing had come close to the impact that record had at the time for me, nothing that came before it came close to its brutality,unfortunately it was overshadowed in the media by Reign In Blood however for song complexity and structure if not production i feel that this record pipped Slayer's offering......just.... and it was all down to Gene's virtuoso performance, the guy was 17 and played better then than most metal drummers will ever play, the guy was and is raw talent, his type and certainly his style of playing is almost impossible to learn or teach for that matter......... a drumming legend.

Gene is the man. His work with Death is incredibly technical and punishing. He does blazing double-bass while wearing shitkicking leather boots. Just an amazing drummer all-around!

I also believe he now plays with ankle weights on, this is just plain ridiculous as if we didn't already know he his superhuman....lol

Gene, along with playing on the Dethklok (fictional cartoon metal band) CD that comes out tomorrow, will be part of a Dethklok touring lineup! Mike Keneally will also be filling one of the guitar slots.

I'm very excited to go see this if it comes anywhere near me. I've never seen Gene live before and it will be nice after seeing too many metal bands that can't deliver a live performance that comes close to what they recorded on CD.

Article with more info about Dethklok tour lineup

Gene is a great guy, great drummer and a inspiration for all metal drummers.
I lived in van (where hes from) and met him a few times at local metal shows. It would be like 40c in the club and he would be wearing boots and full leather with a leather trench coat. Thats dedicated!!!!!!

Back