Studio apartment drumming

I've played drums for 10+ years now and I recently moved to a large city into a studio apartment. I'm not playing in any bands here and probably won't be for a while, so my drumset will be on an extended vacation in the closet unfortunately.

I don't want to not play drums though of course, so my question is, what would be a good electronic kit for someone with (very) limited space?

I looked at this (Yamaha DD-65) but I can't even tell if that's worth it, seems more like a toy. I also am considering the Alesis DM6. I know these things mentioned aren't anything great but I just need something cheap I can jam on so I don't fall out of practice. Help!

Been living in an apartment for last two years....practice pad ,set of Roland HD-1 and a set of Pearl Rhymm Travels. All in a large closet. The HD kit has built in pedals...no floor vibration. Just as important to reduce as sound.
All trade offs, but allows one to continue to work on drumming. Denis

The Yamaha DD-65 is mostly a toy, and also surprisingly noisy, and that noise rules it out for you.

The Roland HD-1 is compact but has some positioning compromises. All e-Kits can be folded up to a degree, without completely disassembling or unplugging anything. If you want to eliminate floor vibration and still have a real kick pedal feel, there is a new product that claims to do it, inexpensively but I have not personally tried it. It has great reviews though. It is the http://triggera.com/kick-pedal-trigger/#.

I don't know if the size of your budget matches the tiny size of the apartment, but if not, you can get a pretty normal electronic drum set like a Yamaha DTX5xxK or a Roland TD-11 and it will not take up a lot of room. About the same floor space as a four place dining set.

You should not serve dinner in a studio anyway. Better to play the drums I say. :)

Last edited:
If you are short on cash, Roland HD1, Yamaha DXT Xplorer etc.

If you want mid-tier stuff (around $800-$1000) = Roland V-Drums TD4-K2 or TD4-KX2

If you want higher-end stuff ($2000) TD9

Funny you should mention it, moved from a big house with a music studio/ drum shed to a two bedroom studio. I have a Roland TD 9 and it is working out great. I do worry that the base drum hitting the trigger makes a thud thud thud for the guy downstairs so I work on stick combo's in the morning and then get thumping later.

The Roland kit has been great, I took it with me to Iraq, two other cities and it works great. I just put the speaker in storage since I only use head phones. Good luck finding one in the right budget and quality, they are surely out there.

If you are short on cash, Roland HD1, Yamaha DXT Xplorer etc.

If you want mid-tier stuff (around $800-$1000) = Roland V-Drums TD4-K2 or TD4-KX2

If you want higher-end stuff ($2000) TD9

I second this one. Mesh pads are worth it if you can fit it. I can fit my TD4-KX2 onto a traditional sized welcome door mat. I just pull out the throne and play. Very compact. The HD1 is even more so.

I've played drums for 10+ years now and I recently moved to a large city into a studio apartment. I'm not playing in any bands here and probably won't be for a while, so my drumset will be on an extended vacation in the closet unfortunately.

I don't want to not play drums though of course, so my question is, what would be a good electronic kit for someone with (very) limited space?

I looked at this (Yamaha DD-65) but I can't even tell if that's worth it, seems more like a toy. I also am considering the Alesis DM6. I know these things mentioned aren't anything great but I just need something cheap I can jam on so I don't fall out of practice. Help!

Hi There!

Its totally what you can afford, I decided to start to lean to play in October, and I had a very limited budget, 100 UK pounds lol, which doesnt even buy a second hand roland. I got loads of people playing the "roland or yam" record on loop, but for me, it was a case of buy a second hand DM6 clone, or dont learn at all, for for me I made the right choice and got the second hand DM6 clone, which was a local collection only, second hand, and miss advertised on ebay, so someone was looking out for me there. I havent looked back once. I have started swapping parts, I changed the drum module to a trigger IO and run it through addictive drums, I also moved the old hi hat to an extra and got a roland CY-5. Its a bit of a project kit, but I actually find it good fun as a project kit, upgrading and replacing. Theres some vids on my youtube if you are interested on what its like playing, I'm not very good yet, but getting better all the time, which I wouldnt be if I had hung on and saved up for something more expensive.

All i wanted to say was that if like me you dont have the budget for a second hand roland, then better with an alesis than nothing! I have got quite attached to mine now!

My next project for it is a tennis ball platform to stop floor vibrations, which is basically a sheet of 18mm MDF with some holes in it, some tennis balls in the holes raising it from the floor and carpet over the top.

Back