job opportunity- can't make the decision

Seasonedpro

Just came here to vent really. Maybe a way to organize my thoughts. Have been offered a decent job and it comes at a time where my family is needing more money. We aren't in dire need of money but a little extra cushion never hurt. I've got 2 kids. newborn and 2 yearold. The job is working 2nd shift OR working 3rds. I'm a family guy. I love our evening times together, our playing outside time, our dinners together at the table, night time reading and playing. I eat it up and it makes me whole. We can't afford for me to do 3rds (10pm-7am) because the kiddos would need daycare longer and where we live daycare costs are high. I'd basically be going to work to pay for daycare...doesn't make sense. There there is 2nds. 2-11pm. M-F Daycare costs would be down but I would not have any evenings at all with my family outside of the weekend. Makes me sad to think of all the time I would be missing with my family working in production plant. I already dislike production plants because of my past history. Usually unpleasant personalities that hate their job and feel the need to bring in personal drama or start some of their own. Then you add in the fact that production plants do numbers on your wrists and arms from all of the twisting, pulling, grabbing and motions. (I already have damage to my wrists that have messed with my dexterity).

But the money is good. 16/hr to start 20/hr in 2 months and then on up. It would be a cushion for sure. That's where it ends for me though. That's the only pro. MONEY

Am I a total idiot for choosing family time over a better than average job? I sure feel like one.

I'm 32

Am I a total idiot for choosing family time over a better than average job? I sure feel like one.

I would say no, but only you can decide if you can adjust your reading time, meal time etc. The 2 year old and the newborn will adapt more quickly than you, and still love Dad for any time spent with them. Maybe by the time the kids are a bit older you can get on a first shift and make life better. Good luck.

Or you could pass on the job and be happier.

When you are on your deathbed, not many people say...Gee, I wish I would have worked more. I think if you need more money, maybe try to think of a different way of getting it? What you are giving up can't be priced. A factory job will probably always be there. It sounds very depressing. Either that or tell them if they want you it has to be on the shift you choose. Can't hurt to try for that.

When in doubt, always choose family time over money.

Or you could pass on the job and be happier.

When you are on your deathbed, not many people say...Gee, I wish I would have worked more. I think if you need more money, maybe try to think of a different way of getting it? What you are giving up can't be priced. A factory job will probably always be there. It sounds very depressing. Either that or tell them if they want you it has to be on the shift you choose. Can't hurt to try for that.

Larry are you becoming a philosopher? That was deep... Another thing to do would just be to casually look at other job opportunities. You may just find a good paying job with hours that you can work. Don't do anything that could mess up your family though... Think anything big over and talk to them (or just her) about it.

I turned it down. You just can't put a price on valuable family time. Guess I'm blessed to have a family I love to be around. Gigs are getting us by for now. Will just have to get creative with work and look for a better solution.

Thanks fellas for letting me pour my brain out.

I turned it down. You just can't put a price on valuable family time. Guess I'm blessed to have a family I love to be around. Gigs are getting us by for now. Will just have to get creative with work and look for a better solution.

Thanks fellas for letting me pour my brain out.

.............good for you...............nothing more important on this earth than spending quality time with people you love.

Back