electric dilemma

cupcrazy4

Hey Guys,

It's been a while since I posted here. I'm starting my 2nd year at university and I'm excited because now I have a room big enough to fit a drum kit! All of last year I couldn't play my drums because my room in residence was a broom closet. Unfortunately, I can't play my acoustic because of noise constraints (I can't/ it's not worth it to soundproof because I'm moving out in april).

Anyways, bring me to my dilemma: I need an electric kit but I don't know much about them. I'd be using the kit hopefully for a very long time, mainly for practicing, having fun, and maybe even some gigs??! Who knows. I've been hemming and hawing over either the Roland td4, td9, or td12.

The cool thing is I found a td 12 "in pristine condition" for $3200 (Canadian $) that includes throne, kick, HH stand. Aparently without extras that retails for $4300 + tax. Should I get it? I have to make up my mind quick because the guy says it's going to sell fast. The td9kx is 2999 with tax anyways, so I feel like I'm getting a good deal. But is it really worth all that money? I'd have to see if my parents will lend me money.

it depends really, what size of kit do you usually play on? If it's a bit bigger then maybe the extra pads of the TD12 will benifit you but otherwise then the td9 should be okay, but i reckon to be able to get the TD12 for a small amount more isn't a bad deal.

If the TD12 kit really is in good nick then the TD12 seems good value. If you want to move them around a lot then the TD9 is more compact. If you want to spend the minimum and save up for an acoustic kit when you graduate then the TD4 makes sense!!!

Not much help am I?

Davo

thanks for the advice guys, but that kit dissapeared. I did find: "[a] TD-8 brain, Roland PD 120 dual zone snare, Roland Cy12H hi-hat, 3 pintech 10" toms,pintech 10" bass drum (all of them are mesh), 2 cymbals, 2 dingbats, rack, pedals, cables" in 'great shape' for $850 without a snare stand. Problem is, the kit is 7 years old. Should I be worried that the drums are just going to kick the bucket soon? He said he hasn't played them much, and they never left home.

Do you think I should buy them?

Er no.

The CY12H Hihat only really works with the TD12 and TD20. Why anyone would marry this with a TD8 is beyond me. It sounds like a bag of bits and it would be difficult to resell.

Sorry, that's possibly not what you wanted to hear.

Davo

Hmmm. Well the Roland website says the CY12H is compatible with all sound modules. I'm not really interested in reselling it though. Hopefully I'll just play it until it dies.

Er no.

The CY12H Hihat only really works with the TD12 and TD20. Why anyone would marry this with a TD8 is beyond me. It sounds like a bag of bits and it would be difficult to resell.

Sorry, that's possibly not what you wanted to hear.

Davo

You can use a V-Cymbal with the TD-8 (any software version), and also with the TD-10, TD-7, TD-6, SPD-20, SPD-1, and HPD-15 by setting their trigger parameters properly. Bow shots, edge shots, and choking techniques are possible. For details on setting the trigger parameters, refer to the owner's manual for each product.
Notes:
When you're using a V-cymbal that allows both bow shots and edge shots (bell shots), connect it to a trigger input that is compatible with rim shots.
The HPD-15 does not allow choking techniques.
The SPD-6 is not equipped with a trigger input, therefore it cannot be used with V-Cymbals.
The three-way trigger of the CY-15R and CY-12R/C is available only with products that support this function. As of April 2005, these are:
- TD-20
- TD-12
- TD-10 with a TDW-1 that has been updated for V-Cymbal Control
- TMC-6

Quoting Roland here ...

Let's say I do play on big drums. Would buying an electric kit with smaller heads force me to improve my sticking and accuracy?

it depends really, what size of kit do you usually play on? If it's a bit bigger then maybe the extra pads of the TD12 will benifit you but otherwise then the td9 should be okay, but i reckon to be able to get the TD12 for a small amount more isn't a bad deal.

Probably. Plus the rims are triggered to different sounds and so it is really obvious when you rim shoot unintentionally.

Davo

Tried a few Rolands and i got the 12's so would suggest those. They almost feel like real drums with those mesh heads, the brain unit has excellent flexibility and yes the cymbals are surprisingly good sounding (for electronic). Frankly, the hi-hat is still too limited, yet they are electronic drums so drum/cymbal intricacies will be lost to some degree. Still, for electronic th 12 was impressive. i voted with my wallet and got them until i could go back to acoustic. Do not underestimate the way the Roland's produce their sound and the stunning array of customizations available. Get a memory card to backup your custom kits!

Back