Genres that you won't play?

Don't get a choice if I'm honest. If I thought about the crap I get asked to play in a wedding season I'd cry...welling up now!

Playing what the audience wants to hear these days. It sucks your soul out and fills your wallet.

Man I miss the days when we did prog. Unfortunately you can't headbang or dance in 15/8 :)

I don't play and hardcore stuff with double bass blast beats or growling and screaming. I can not even listen to it let alone play it. Old country not so much.

I remember my old cover band.

We did sort chronological thing, slighly adjusted for intensity/heaviness.

I was ok with most it, but somewhere in the first set we did "It's a heartache", which make me cringe.

To be honest about rituals, those days it was pretty much set. Unless we were stomped for time, which happened a couple of times, it was just checking in to the hotel relaxing and having a nice long dinner with the band.

These day I just try to stretch out so I wake up and get going like other days and I avoid eating anything heavy. If I got up late, which I often do on weekends, I might still be running on the oats with protein powder I had for breakfast.

The genre I won't play is the beatles or led zeppelin.

>Now I'm not opposed to any kind of music and listen to a lot of alt-rock, metal, etc. and I think I could play it if I wanted to, but I'm pushing 60 pretty hard. I just don't see myself playing that stuff anymore. Maybe 20 years ago...

Anybody remember Mick Jagger saying he'd rather be dead than sing Satisfaction after 40?

say it ain't so! Out of curiosity what kind of music do you play?

Heavy rock; short of metal. Think Clutch, Kyuss, High on Fire.

I play covers every week as well, and lots of popular ones, but I can't stand playing the beatles for the 6000th time, same for zepp. I loved the music growing up, but OD'd on it a long time ago. And frankly, as much as I loved Zepp, I never really understood the beatle mania.

There are so many songs to play, and we still have to play "come together" every damn week?

Actually, I would play something like helter skelter or don't let me down, but they are unpopular, at least around here. Everyone just wants to hear the same thing they heard 10 minutes ago on the oldies station driving to the bar. Lastly, especially on the drumming front, almost nobody plays zep with the right feel. There's a reason bonzo was bonzo and all of us aren't.

I'm drawing the line at Polka, disco, and metal...the latter because I will never have the speed or stamina.

Well plenty of music I'm not too fond of (like country and rap-or country/rap="crap") but none I'd dismiss from playing drums to though-now how well I'd do it is another issue but I'd give any a shot-even metal. I've played in country bands decades ago but played waltzes, polka, etc with an orchestra, some big band and jazz gigs too. All out of my comfort zone-but heck if you attest to be a drummer seems you need to step up to the plate and give it a shot. I did this Dixieland jazz band gig that was a blast-I'd never done anything like that. I've grown fond of playing music I don't like and also playing songs I don't like-because it's not about me but the song.

I think it would be more accurate to there are things I prefer not to play. I don't care much for country or top 40, for example, but I'm sure being a member of the backing band for somebody like Ariana Grande is a better living than I make currently.

I could never be in a tribute/only covers band. Just the thought of it makes me cringe.

+1

Tried it. Battled my way on for like 18 months in a "we'll punk up old classics" band.

Then they got a rock singer chick and after a short while I thought "F>>> THAT"

I agree. Soul destroying and about the most boring thing I can imagine. I'd rather be in the office than do it.

Also, tribute bands are total frauds. They can clearly play, but opt to plagiarise usually making large sums of money without contributing back to the original artist. Makes me sick to the core. And far too many doing the same shitty stuff thinking they're somehow special because they dress up and act like cocks

+1

Battled my way on for like 18 months in a "we'll punk up old classics" band.

Then they got a rock singer chick and after a short while I thought "F>>> THAT"

I agree. Soul destroying and about the most boring thing I can imagine. I'd rather be in the office than do it.

Also, tribute bands are total frauds. They can clearly play, but opt to plagiarise usually making large sums of money without contributing back to the original artist. Makes me sick to the core. And far too many doing the same shitty stuff thinking they're somehow special because they dress up and act like cocks

Never understood the whole tribute band scene.

I can understand the money making aspect of it but it has destroyed local music scenes throughout the UK because venues know they can pack a building and charge a hefty whack on the door.

I've done a few support slots and came across a Queen tribute who were Morrissey level up themselves. Did support a Zep tribute once and the drummer let me have a blast on his amber vista which was cool.

I do ok from the functions stuff and we do treat it like a job and not Woodstock, we'd go insane otherwise. Don't think I could do it if I wasn't with good friends.

Heavy rock; short of metal. Think Clutch, Kyuss, High on Fire.

I play covers every week as well, and lots of popular ones, but I can't stand playing the beatles for the 6000th time, same for zepp. I loved the music growing up, but OD'd on it a long time ago. And frankly, as much as I loved Zepp, I never really understood the beatle mania.

There are so many songs to play, and we still have to play "come together" every damn week?

Actually, I would play something like helter skelter or don't let me down, but they are unpopular, at least around here. Everyone just wants to hear the same thing they heard 10 minutes ago on the oldies station driving to the bar. Lastly, especially on the drumming front, almost nobody plays zep with the right feel. There's a reason bonzo was bonzo and all of us aren't.

I understand the feel thing about zep tunes. I never played them in my youth because of that reason. The singer in band I left last October was a big LZ fan and did an ok job on the vocals and a real good job on some songs. We played several songs. My drumming on Rock and Roll never stopped evolving as I tried to incorporate more and more nuances. Same with Whole Lotta Love. Thre is just so much to JB's playing! They insisted on doing the orgasmic section and I thought it was crap. But I really learned some things trying. I also think it is very difficult to do a good enough job on the vocals for Beatles songs. They insisted we play Paperback Writer and I thought we did a crap job on it.

Never understood the whole tribute band scene.

I can understand the money making aspect of it but it has destroyed local music scenes throughout the UK because venues know they can pack a building and charge a hefty whack on the door.

I've done a few support slots and came across a Queen tribute who were Morrissey level up themselves. Did support a Zep tribute once and the drummer let me have a blast on his amber vista which was cool.

I do ok from the functions stuff and we do treat it like a job and not Woodstock, we'd go insane otherwise. Don't think I could do it if I wasn't with good friends.

VERY good point. And something I've spent years arguing. These guys dressing up have done more damage to the live music scene than any number of kids going out playing their original stuff for free/cheap !!

Totally agree.

I take it you haven't met the Sex Pistols Experience...JEEESSSSUUUSSS Christ. Johnny Rotten (wannabe) continues the sneering crap-act before and after performances. How, how.....WEIRD is that? Bass player acts Sid Viciousy similarly until you get talking to him and find out he teaches trumpet at a local school ANARCHY PERSONIFIED

[\QUOTE] I take it you haven't met the Sex Pistols Experience...JEEESSSSUUUSSS Christ. Johnny Rotten (wannabe) continues the sneering crap-act before and after performances. How, how.....WEIRD is that? [/QUOTE]

Yeah, just don't get why on earth anyone would want to spend the whole time dressing up and acting like someone else.

If you haven't already seen it, I recommend watching season 2 ep 7 of Flight of the Conchords.

I never could stand set lists without variation or dynamics. My YT channel makes clear that I have no direction at all :) Just as long as the other musicians are happy with what I'm doing ...

And on a related note, what type of a woman won't you bed?

Latin. You all seem to have an agreed upon definition of that term. I'm curious as to what that is. I would guess that it basically means Bossa Nova and the like. Anything else that you would throw in that bag?

"Latin" means any music that you're too white to play. For me that'd be anything Brazillian, like real proper Brazillian.

Usually it means Brazilian (bossa nova, samba, baiao) or Cuban (a variety of styles that usually get called "salsa"). Brazilian styles most often get played in jazz groups, Cuban styles usually get played by bands dedicated to that style.

I guess that's where my confusion comes in. I am used to the Brazilian styles, usually in a Jazz context being called Latin. Where it just seems odd to me for Son and Salsa to be called that and unless you are doing Songo, Timba, or maybe Santana songs the drum kit just doesn't really go there. Keeping in mind that I am a bongocero and conguero before I am a kit player.

alparrott playing cumbias and flamenco. Now that is unusual and more power to ya.

Yeah, I don't know. It's almost a meaningless word. When somebody tells me we're playing something in a "Latin" feel, I assume they don't know their styles, and it could be anything. I would never automatically assume they mean samba or bossa. Something like Nutville or Manteca is obviously supposed to be some kind of quasi-Cuban feel-- or any tune that alternates between a swing and Latin feel. When somebody says 6/8, 12/8, or 3/4 Latin, they mean that Cuban-type feel. Sometimes they'll say Latin and it's a cha cha.

Typical of U.S. and british people, there are 19(nineteen) countries in Latin-America, 18(eighteen) of them talk in spanish and all that you can come when you hear the word "latin" is Brasil and Cuba...

Back