Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Agd8

Can you please break down the fill you did just before the last chorus of "Sound Of Muzak" on your Modern Drummer performance?

Thanks again to Terry Branam for the great transcriptions.

Hi mabhz

I´m glad to hear you have fond memories of the time spent here with Heitor. By the way, he just dissapeared! At least, we dont hear from him for quite a long time now.

I knew he moved to LA more than 10 years ago. In fact the last time I saw him was there in 1998.

Has "anyone" from Brazil already aproached you concerning this? Is anything already in the process (like Sonor Brasil sponsoring or something like that)?

no - nobody has approached me concerning drum clinics in Brazil.

Hi heaven'stef

I enquire about the hardware/cymbal holder you use for the 5 custom bells/chimes, is it Sonor or a different maker? If you (or anyone else) could give me a hint...

It is made with the Sonor 'Basic Arm' parts...but the lowest three cymbal holders had to be customised so that the threads go a lot lower than usual. That way those 3 cymbals can be lower than the higher two. Does that make sense?
IMG_1081.JPG

Hi HutchinsonDrummer

I was just wondering if when you first joined PT, how much of an interest you had in the band's music. Did you like their music? I know you've stated that you were ready to finally join a band, but didn't know if their music prior to you joining was a big factor for you or not.

I wasn't following PT and didn't really know their music - nor was I really looking for a band to join. I had heard a little bit of their stuff through Richard Barbieri and I thought it was interesting. When the opportunity arose and I was asked to join - then I thought it was worth a go. After that I thought it was probably a good time for me to try being in a band anyway.

cheers
Gavin

I absolutely love your Vic Firth signature sticks. My favorite color too ! They just feel so right. So versatile. Great job ! They are my favorites overall, and I have a lot of styles, all Vics of course.

Hi heaven'stef

I enquire about the hardware/cymbal holder you use for the 5 custom bells/chimes, is it Sonor or a different maker? If you (or anyone else) could give me a hint...

It is made with the Sonor 'Basic Arm' parts...but the lowest three cymbal holders had to be customised so that the threads go a lot lower than usual. That way those 3 cymbals can be lower than the higher two. Does that make sense?
View attachment 48647

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,
thanks a lot for your reply, 'course it makes sense. Did Sonor customise the 3 holders for you or did you do it yourself? Or should I ask, would it be possible to customise them myself?

Thank you, once again, apprechiate you're taking your time to answer all those questions, I think I can speak for all us us here.
Kind regards

Stefan

Last edited:
Hi Gavin, I've got a question about your custom chimes.

You've said before you have made them yourself - but those 5 chimes you play nowadays seem to have a full "Zildjian" logo. It is pretty unusual for a 14" and bigger cymbals to have the "Zildjian" logo so close to the bell. Are those some new chimes, that Zildjian made for you? If so, is there any way of buying them :)? They should make that "Gavin Harrison signature chimes"!

Thanks in adv.

Here's more info on how Gavin made those bell cymbals:

http://www.askgavinharrison.com/articles/152-What-are-the-little-splashes-to-your-left-bells-

That inspired me to do some myself... Modded 6 (cracked) cymbals into bells - and got addicted doing more in the future. Need to build a cymbal holder now.

@ Meksyk
If you browse a bit through this thread you'll find some more info on those bells. The link I mentioned is repeatedly brought up in the thread, too. Do you have cracked cymbals? Modify them! (I didn't have any cracked cymbals but bought some off Ebay.)

@Arky

Yea, I have seen that, but what I mean - it seems like those aren't the custom cymbals made by himself anymore. I'm talking about those that he uses nowadays, cuz in the past they were surely custom-made. Now - they all have full ZIldjian logo, and Zildjian doesn't place the logo so close to bell on it's crashes etc. So it looks like those aren't chimes that Gavin made himself anymore, but some new that Zildjian made for him. That's what I'm curious of : p.

Hi section8usmc

I absolutely love your Vic Firth signature sticks. My favorite color too ! They just feel so right. So versatile. Great job ! They are my favorites overall, and I have a lot of styles, all Vics of course.

thanks - I'm really enjoying playing them too.

Hi heaven'stef

Did Sonor customise the 3 holders for you or did you do it yourself? Or should I ask, would it be possible to customise them myself?

Sonor did it for me - but you could do it yourself if you have the correct tools. You need to make the thread go all the way to the bottom - then you can cut off the excess off the top.

Hi Meksyk

You've said before you have made them yourself - but those 5 chimes you play nowadays seem to have a full "Zildjian" logo. It is pretty unusual for a 14" and bigger cymbals to have the "Zildjian" logo so close to the bell. Are those some new chimes, that Zildjian made for you? If so, is there any way of buying them :)? They should make that "Gavin Harrison signature chimes"!

yes I made the original set myself - and then I sent them to Zildjian and they made a couple of sets for me. That's why the logo is there - but I don't believe they make them for general sale - sorry.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Meksyk

yes I made the original set myself - and then I sent them to Zildjian and they made a couple of sets for me. That's why the logo is there - but I don't believe they make them for general sale - sorry.

Aww, such a pity :<. By the way, could you give us your current cymbals setup? I'm confused, because Wikipedia, Zildjian site and your official site - all say different things :p.

Hey Gavin,

I noticed on the photo of your chimes that on the hi-hat is written "Lab prototype".

Are you "testing" new hihats for Zildjian?

Cheers,
Dre

cheers
Gavin

It was a possibility at one point that they were considering making them for mass consumption though? I thought I remember hearing when they first made them for you, that there was potential for a general retail release?

I've been listening to Storm Corrosion and was curious if when Steven and Mikael sent you the music if they told you specifically what they had in mind for the percussion work, and didn't want anything to stray from their idea? Or if they gave you a basis and you free-styled it based on those specifications?

Gavin,

I had a question about recording songs. What instruments usually get recorded first? Does it change often and does it depend on who you're recording with? (I.e. - PT or you an 05Ric).

Also, the rapid fill you play on Illusion @ 3:27 sounds like multiple triplet flams with double bass in between. Very eclectic fill!

Thanks for your time :)

Re: Gavin Harrison

Hi Gavin,

I am learning The Sound Of Muzak, and for practise I am following what you play on your modern drummer version (as best I can). I don't suppose you have a drumless or vocal track? That'd really be great :) oh and also if its not too much to ask, do you have a transription for that fill you do into the first chorus in you modern drummer version? look forward to hearing from you soon

All the Best

Sam

P.S. Rhythmic Designs is really great :D

Last edited:
Hi Gavin,

I know that the question of playing live or touring with OSI has come up a few times in the past couple of years. In a recent interview with Jim Matheos, he commented about, among the different topics, the recent label switch to Metal Blade and the positive feedback with regards to the new disc. Although he went on to say that playing live wouldn't be the easiest thing to pull off, he wasn't they weren't ruling it out.
With P.T. on a bit of an extended break, (your upcoming tour with 05Ric, notwithstanding) and the potential support of a bigger label, has any "serious" talk about playing live been brought up for either later on in the year or at some point in the not too distant future?

thanks!
mc

Hi Meksyk

By the way, could you give us your current cymbals setup? I'm confused, because Wikipedia, Zildjian site and your official site - all say different things :p.

The Wiki one is probably the most accurate in terms of what I use with Porcupine Tree - but I do change (from time to time) my hi hats, ride cymbals and crashes. For instance at the moment - here in my studio I am using a pair of 14" K Constantinople hi hats - a 19" K Custom Dark crash - an 18" Armand Crash - a 20" Custom Dark Complex ride plus the usual chinas and bell cymbals.

Hi Drizzle

I noticed on the photo of your chimes that on the hi-hat is written "Lab prototype".Are you "testing" new hihats for Zildjian?

No - these are the new K Constantinople Hi Hats 14" (the final prototypes before they were released) so they are the same as the ones you'll find in the shops. Very good they are too!!!

Hi gibeachhead

It was a possibility at one point that they were considering making them for mass consumption though? I thought I remember hearing when they first made them for you, that there was potential for a general retail release?

It's always a possibility.

I've been listening to Storm Corrosion and was curious if when Steven and Mikael sent you the music if they told you specifically what they had in mind for the percussion work, and didn't want anything to stray from their idea? Or if they gave you a basis and you free-styled it based on those specifications?

They pretty much knew exactly what they wanted. The only thing I really added was a few mad drum fills in one song.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

I had a question about recording songs. What instruments usually get recorded first? Does it change often and does it depend on who you're recording with? (I.e. - PT or you an 05Ric).

It normally starts with who's writing it. If it's a song Steve is writing then probably he'll record some guitar or piano. Then he might add some other things - so when I get to record I'm usually playing to a demo - and some (or all of that demo) might get replaced later on. It might turn out that my drums are the first of the things that end up being final. Does that make sense? I might even rerecord the drums after I've heard what everyone else is playing on top - because maybe I can find a better part that fits the overall picture. So it's a kind of ever evolving demo - into the final thing.

Also, the rapid fill you play on Illusion @ 3:27 sounds like multiple triplet flams with double bass in between. Very eclectic fill!

I don't know what song you mean. What is "Illusion"?

Hi Sam Sanders

I am learning The Sound Of Muzak, and for practise I am following what you play on your modern drummer version (as best I can). I don't suppose you have a drumless or vocal track? That'd really be great :) oh and also if its not too much to ask, do you have a transription for that fill you do into the first chorus in you modern drummer version?

I can't give you the recording of that song. There is however a drum-less (and vocal-less) version of it out there somewhere made by a German Drum magazine called Drumheads. They recorded a play along version that was once on their cover mount CD a few years ago.

Hi tradgrip

I know that the question of playing live or touring with OSI has come up a few times in the past couple of years. In a recent interview with Jim Matheos, he commented about, among the different topics, the recent label switch to Metal Blade and the positive feedback with regards to the new disc. Although he went on to say that playing live wouldn't be the easiest thing to pull off, he wasn't they weren't ruling it out.
With P.T. on a bit of an extended break, (your upcoming tour with 05Ric, notwithstanding) and the potential support of a bigger label, has any "serious" talk about playing live been brought up for either later on in the year or at some point in the not too distant future?

I'd love to play live with them - and it's been a source of discussion between us - but there's nothing to report at the moment.

cheers
Gavin

Gavin,
Sorry for the confusion. The fill I was referring to was on the "water slips" song from ur newest album w Ric. I guess my media player incorrectly labeled it as illusion. I have no idea why it would do that. Haha

Thanks

Cheers Gavin, I wasn't expecting any kind of drumless track at all so thats made my day :D thank you ever so much!

Sorry to keep on, but is there a chance you or Mr. Branam have that first MD Sound of Muzak fill transcribed at all?

Thanks again

Sam

Gavin,

Thanks for taking the time to answer so many questions!

What was it like playing the Buddy Memorial? I've long considered these events the "Super Bowl of drumming". Did they film for a home video release?

Thanks!

-Huge Fan

Gavin
I was listening to Bonnie the Cat, and was wondering how you feel the main groove of that song. To me it seems like a bar of 7/8, a bar of 5/8, and a bar of 2/4. This all adds up to 4/4 time, but what's the best way, in your mind, to feel this? Regardless, it's still an extremely tasteful groove!

The way I hear it is a 7 and a 9, with the vocals keeping the 4/4 time (the "ands" during the 7 and then the downbeats during the 9).

(sorry for the double post)

There appears to be a real market for drum-less tracks.

I respectfully suggest looking into that market...I think $ could be made releasing either a multi-tracked version of songs where the purchaser could drop out the tracks he cares to or simple mixes with specific instrument dropped out.

I would also consider the idea of a DVD showing the actual studio recorded performance(s)...

Specialty releases with a target market of musicians...all at a near criminal elevated price...which I and many others would likely pay...with a smile while we hold our hands in the air during the mugging : ).

...could then have a sponsor flip the bill for a competition showing the best substitution parts.(drums, guitar, vocal, bass, keyboard, kazoo...etc)...great advertising for the sponsor as well as Porcupine Tree/05ric...whatever other project.

Your playing as well as the playing of the musicians you gravitate to REALLY appeals to the musician crowd amongst many other crowds...and I for one would love an expanded interactive experience...at a price range I would expect to be well beyond a usual CD/DVD.

Thanks for all the etudes!

Back