Gavin Harrison here!

Hi supermac

Have you had any thoughts about taking the 05ric stuff out live, with a small 4-5 piece band maybe?

I'm always thinking about it - there's just a lot of logistics to consider first.

Hi kevlionel

I have a question regarding the PT gig at the Royal Albert Hall in October.
Are you allowed to reveal some details about this special show?

No because it will only trigger the most incredible amount of moaning and complaining from some fans who always post on certain forums. No matter what we do - it won't please everyone.

I've never been in the Royal Albert Hall, however, I assume that it is a very beautiful venue and kind of a "prestige location". I'd like to ask if playing there is kind of "special" to you? Any special feelings about it?

It's a really nice venue - I've played there before with Level 42.

Hi Florian

A quick question regarding your touring, I'm curious as to whether or not you have a 'rider' or not contractually.

Yes we do - but I can't reveal the specifics of it.

Hi carlos ramos

I want to ask you something about accuracy and WOA you talked before.
I know that that is Impossible that any drummer can be 100% on spot with click all times
but how do you consider as a good WOA?

That's a kind of personal preference. What I might find unacceptable - someone else think is fine. I'd hope to get within about 10 milliseconds - I think tthat would satisfy my Window Of Acceptability. The real important part is that you're consistent. If your snare is about 15ms behind the beat pretty much all the time - that will be your groove. If it's not consistently in the same zone - it won't sound good. Same with the bass drum and hi hat of course.

i record myself and when i go and analyze, normally i tend to be like 1/64 note antecipated to click. sometimes in worst parts maybe 1/32 note. can you talk more about accuracy and how to develop this. and about a good acepptabe WOA. i think half 1/64 was good.

In my experience most people play in front of the beat somewhere between a few milliseconds and a couple of weeks!! When you hear a drummer playing right on the beat - they sound laid back relative to the other musicians who might be playing in front. You can't really measure in 1/64ths because it would be a different amount of milliseconds depending on the tempo.

cheers
Gavin

Thank you gavin. I will record all my sessions, and see my progress.

One more question.
do you have some good exercices to have that laid back feeling? I think my groove can become better, as close as I play to the click. i tried a few exercices. i turn the click on, then grab a stick and then, try to really catch the clik and stop hearing it. i don´t know if this helps me. but i really have to concentrate and relax, and it is not an easy one.
I´m hoping i can change my groove by practicing this or another exercices....

Gavin,

I know you are in to some older music and some old r&b etc. Have you heard of Diane Birch ? Her debut is called Bible Belt and I have to say it is some of the best blue eyed soul I have ever heard. The album really sounds like it was recorded 35 years ago in places and I think this is a good thing. She has an amazing voice and writes all her own music. Cindy Blackman on drums for some tracks and some great session guys on some others. If you havnt heard her you might want to check it out.

See ya may 1st in Ohio !!

Hi Gavin,

have U ever tried snare drums with those big thick maple rims and, if so, what do U think of the resulting sound?

Thx a lot,
Ste

Hi Gavin,

A small question about displacement. I was listening to the Brighton Dome 1994 concert with Level 42. On the track Mr Pink, there are some parts where it seems you displace the snare, though it seems you are following the keyboard/horn accents. It might sound silly but do you think that the principles of displacement (and for that matter also overriding and substitution) also work for other instruments (like keyboards)?

Btw, received my copy of the Incident DVD-A. Sounds wonderful and the video of Octane Twisted is a nice bonus! (Loved that one during the show). Hope to see you guys playing in Holland this year. The RAH show is sadly sold out, as are your sonor drumclinics :(

Hi carlos ramos

do you have some good exercices to have that laid back feeling? I think my groove can become better, as close as I play to the click. i tried a few exercices. i turn the click on, then grab a stick and then, try to really catch the clik and stop hearing it. i don´t know if this helps me. but i really have to concentrate and relax, and it is not an easy one.
I´m hoping i can change my groove by practicing this or another exercices....

I think it's something you need to really hear and feel. Listening to 'laid back' players is probably the most useful thing. It took me a long time to try to get that sound into my playing.

Hi Liquid_Drummer

I know you are in to some older music and some old r&b etc. Have you heard of Diane Birch ?

No - but I'll try to check out her stuff - thanks.

Hi steste50

have U ever tried snare drums with those big thick maple rims and, if so, what do U think of the resulting sound?

I've never owned one - but I've played a few and quite liked them. You get a nice thick sound from the rim shots.

Hi SantiBanks

A small question about displacement. I was listening to the Brighton Dome 1994 concert with Level 42. On the track Mr Pink, there are some parts where it seems you displace the snare, though it seems you are following the keyboard/horn accents. It might sound silly but do you think that the principles of displacement (and for that matter also overriding and substitution) also work for other instruments (like keyboards)?

Yes the displaced snare hits are to follow the keyboard accents. You can apply the concepts of rhythmic illusions to keyboards. If the melodic part you are playing is very strong and easily recognisable - then you could play it in a displaced position - or play it in a different subdivision. There's a good example of 'melodic displacement' in Black Dog by Led Zeppelin

cheers
Gavin.

Gavin,

What do you believe are the advantages/disadvantages of using smaller sticks or larger sticks (thickness, length, etc.)? How large of an effect do you think the size of a players hands have on the ability of using certain sized sticks?

Thanks in advance

Hi Gavin,

Any news on when the Anesthetize DVD (tilburg) is up for sale? Will the special edition be up on Burning Shed as well?

cheers!

Hi gibeachhead

What do you believe are the advantages/disadvantages of using smaller sticks or larger sticks (thickness, length, etc.)? How large of an effect do you think the size of a players hands have on the ability of using certain sized sticks?

That's a hard question because some folks like playing with smaller/larger/thinner/thicker sticks. Obviously if you want to play really loud a bigger stick is the way to go. If you have really big hands - then small sticks feel uncomfortable and vice versa. I think it's too much of a personal preference to really answer properly.

Hi karan.patil

Any news on when the Anesthetize DVD (tilburg) is up for sale? Will the special edition be up on Burning Shed as well?

Announcement to be made any day now. Yes the special edition will be available via Burning Shed and the regular edition should be at our upcoming live shows too.

cheers
Gavin

Gavin,

I have searched the internet high and low and not been able to find much info on drumming and caloric burn.

As there are so many styles in drumming involving different dynamics and force I seems that a baseline or average would be hard to establish. Do you have any knowledge on this subject ? Anyone ?

Oh and by the way, when you are in Cinci on May 1st you might want to check out the pub that is right across the street from the venue. If you can stomach a hamburger on show day they have about 200 different ways to make one and I believe that they have veggie burgers in the same number of ways. Awesome food (if it is still there).

Gavin,

I've been pondering this question, and it might possibly be the dumbest question you've ever read, but here goes. What do you think your drums sound like if you placed the microphones near the bottom heads of the drums? Do you think there would be less or more resonance? The only positive thing I can see coming out of that would be that you wouldn't have to dodge and/or worry about smashing a microphone with your drumstick.

Thanks for your time

Eric

Gavin,

I have searched the internet high and low and not been able to find much info on drumming and caloric burn.

As there are so many styles in drumming involving different dynamics and force I seems that a baseline or average would be hard to establish. Do you have any knowledge on this subject ? Anyone ?
This is the only study related to physical effects of drumming that I'm aware of:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ummers-fitter-footballers-say-scientists.html

Nice find. I changed my diet just a bit and the pounds just fell off. I guess it was the drumming. Dropped 30 pounds and now at my ideal weight. Thank you drums !

Hi Liquid_Drummer

I've no idea. I didn't really start burning calories until I started riding a bicycle.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

What do you think your drums sound like if you placed the microphones near the bottom heads of the drums? Do you think there would be less or more resonance?

It sounds nasty. All the ringing that you don't really want.

Cheers
Gavin

P.S some funky samples of Ed Poole's album over here on his player http://www.myspace.com/edpoole

Hi, I'm excited to hear that the Anesthetize DVD will be available soon, but was wondering why Stars Die and Prodigal from the Tilburg sets will not be included on the DVD. I'll still get it for sure though and sorry if this has already been asked. Thanks

Hey Gavin!

Thank you for taking time to answer us fans, inspire us and helping us improve as musicians, I and I guess all the others here appreciate it! :)

I was just wondering if it was possible in someway to get the drumless "Slippin' Away" - track that you play with on a couple of videos in youtube.

Thanks in advance!

Hello Gavin.
There's a small rhythmic illusion you do twice in the live version of "Hatesong" (from the "Arriving Somewhere" DVD) But I transcribed from 8:14 onwards (On this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4f3PoAoNqA&feature=related, and yes it sucks that a lot of this material is all over the web for free, but at least more people get to see some quality stuff from you guys) Anyway, is it something like that?. Well, I really like the feel of that illusion, so I hope you can give me some insight on it. Thanks!

Fox.

Attachments

• Hatesong Drum Illusion.jpg
    Hatesong Drum Illusion.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 2,244
Hi Gavin,

how are you doing!?

I've got one question about O-Rings..
I made one of an old Practice Pad like this:
http://store.drumbum.com/media/drum-practice-pad.jpg

My ring is about 2cm wide and is about 2mm thick.
When I use it with my 14" Snare Drum (Sonor Artist Vintage Maple) and I play ghost notes very silence, I can't hear the snare wires any more. You may know what I mean.

Do you have any tips how I can solve the problem? Or is the problem, that the O-Ring is to thick?!

Thank you very much
David

Hi Adam8

I'm excited to hear that the Anesthetize DVD will be available soon, but was wondering why Stars Die and Prodigal from the Tilburg sets will not be included on the DVD.

There just wasn't room to fit all that onto a DVD - I believe it's already way over two hours.

Hi Anders Slåke

I was just wondering if it was possible in someway to get the drumless "Slippin' Away" - track that you play with on a couple of videos in youtube.

Sorry - I don't give away my backing tracks. You could do what I did and pay a keyboard player to make the track for you.

Hi Fox622003

There's a small rhythmic illusion you do twice in the live version of "Hatesong" (from the "Arriving Somewhere" DVD) But I transcribed from 8:14 onwards (On this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4f3P...eature=related, and yes it sucks that a lot of this material is all over the web for free, but at least more people get to see some quality stuff from you guys) Anyway, is it something like that?.

It sounds more triplet based to me.

Hi Kalma

My ring is about 2cm wide and is about 2mm thick.
When I use it with my 14" Snare Drum (Sonor Artist Vintage Maple) and I play ghost notes very silence, I can't hear the snare wires any more. You may know what I mean.
Do you have any tips how I can solve the problem? Or is the problem, that the O-Ring is to thick?!

Yes WAY too thick. That would kill any snare drum. You need to make them out of old drum heads.

cheers
Gavin

Hello Gavin.
There's a small rhythmic illusion you do twice in the live version of "Hatesong" (from the "Arriving Somewhere" DVD) But I transcribed from 8:14 onwards (On this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4f3PoAoNqA&feature=related, and yes it sucks that a lot of this material is all over the web for free, but at least more people get to see some quality stuff from you guys) Anyway, is it something like that?. Well, I really like the feel of that illusion, so I hope you can give me some insight on it. Thanks!

Fox.

Hi Fox,

Maybe i'm wrong, but I would have write this fill like this:

edit: Gavin answered faster than me...! :)

Attachments

• hatesong - live.jpg
    hatesong - live.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 2,259
Back