Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin,

Just wanted to say that I really loved your work with Antoine Fafard on "Peace 4 Four". I noticed a lot of, what I would consider, tempo changes in that piece (excuse the pun). Would the change in tempo be what you call "metric modulation"? I noticed a lot of triplets on the bass/guitar during these "tempo shifts" and thought maybe they just went from 4/4 to 12/8?

I've also been enjoying your work with Ed Poole. It seems there is NO genre you cannot play, at least in my opinion. Everything from the heaviest PT song to the lightest and funkiest Ed Poole song, you just seem to nail everything perfectly. Did you have to study each genre individually? Or is it more just a culmination of all the different artists you've worked with over the years?

Thanks for your time :)

Last edited:
Hi Rítmico

On your last answer you told that there is a possibility to release a book with the transcriptions of PT songs. I'm really happy with this.Can you include a cd of play-along tracks (without click) like you did with Rhythmic Design book? It's difficult find good books, with song tracks with the option "without click".

I did think long and hard about that option - but there are a lot of problems with it regarding copyright.

The Yamaha 9000 on e-bay is your famous snare? The snare that inspired you to create the Protean?

No - it's one of my spares.

Thank you Gavin to help us during many years. A happy new year, and I hope that some day you visit Brazil with PT or 05Ric, or alone to make a clinic... If drums are a problem, You can use mine, It's a SQ2 inspired in your black and white tribal finish (same sizes and thickness).

OK thanks.

Hi Illusion1409

A big problem for me, when playing with friends who have guitars and basses, is snare buzz. If I'm not playing I often find myself having to switch off the snares. I've looked online at various solutions, but was curious as to your methods - how do you cope with such an annoyance?

If I have time I turn the snares off when I'm not playing.There's not much you can do about it. Being in close proximity - you will have that problem. Try cutting down some old snare wires to just 8 strands and see if that helps.

Hi aksnitd

1. I noticed you play a marimba on 19 Days. You mentioned earlier that you don't practice with it but I wanted to ask do you ever compose melodies with it to present to either O5Ric or Porcupine Tree? Also, on 19 Days, in the video, there is a shot of you playing another melodic percussion instrument which looks like a number of small metal plates struck with a hammer. Which instrument is this?

No I don't really compose on the marimba. The only time I did was on the "19 Days" tune. The instrument that appears later in the song is Gamelan (played by my friends Dave Stewart and Barbara Gaskin).

2. You've mentioned that the ideas that you send to O5Ric usually have some basic bass and guitar riffs along with the drum rhythms. Do you ever do this in PT or are your contributions to PT limited to drum ideas?

Yes I have done this with PT. "Nil Recurring" is a good example of that.

3. You mentioned the only electronic drum equipment you use is the Korg Wavedrum and even then, usually not in a live setting. Is it because you are afraid of electronics conking out in the middle of a gig, Spinal Tap style? Also, have you ever used the Wavedrum or other electronic pads to compose melodic ideas or grooves for presentation as song ideas?

I haven't found a band that I felt I wanted to use the electronics in. I've had my moments in the past triggering electronics and playing them from an Octapad - but I never really loved doing it.

4. Are there times when you don't feel like practicing drums and you go play guitar or bass instead or do you only play guitar and bass as compositional tools when you are working on drum ideas?

I do occasionally play the bass or guitar but I'm pretty bad at them so it only lasts a few minutes before my fingers hurt or I've run out of ideas. I tend to only pick them up once I have an interesting drum pattern that I want to play to.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

Just wanted to say that I really loved your work with Antoine Fafard on "Peace 4 Four". I noticed a lot of, what I would consider, tempo changes in that piece (excuse the pun). Would the change in tempo be what you call "metric modulation"? I noticed a lot of triplets on the bass/guitar during these "tempo shifts" and thought maybe they just went from 4/4 to 12/8?

There were no tempo changes - only illusions of such with the use of metric modulation.

I've also been enjoying your work with Ed Poole. It seems there is NO genre you cannot play, at least in my opinion. Everything from the heaviest PT song to the lightest and funkiest Ed Poole song, you just seem to nail everything perfectly. Did you have to study each genre individually? Or is it more just a culmination of all the different artists you've worked with over the years?

I don't really like to think about genres.There's just good music and bad music in my opinion. I approach it all the same - try to make the time feel good and find something interesting to play. Simple!!!

cheers
Gavin

Hey Mr. Harrison,

I just wanted to tell you that you are a great inspiration to me, an 18-year-old American percussionist. Your drumming shows me just how musical, tasteful, and creative drum set playing can be.

Do you have any plans to play in the US anytime soon? I'd gladly travel to attend a clinic or show of yours.

Thank you for your time,
Sam

Gavin toured the States towards the end of last year.

Yes, but I couldn't make it to any of the dates. So I'm hoping he's planning to come back soon.

And another question for Mr. Harrison: How can I begin to incorperate rudiments into my drum set playing? I've been working on fills based on the left flam triplet, and it really inspires me to bring in other rudiments to my set playing. Any advice on how to do this?

Thank you,
Sam

Hey Gavin!

My question is about A Status and B Status. Your opinion is that the drummer should never wade from the A Status (as per Rhythmic Illusions and numerous other materials). But most of the time, when playing an illusion what we strive for is to make it feel as much as how it feels when we play the original B Status, while still anchored to the original Status/tempo.

Since many drummers extensively use programmed metronomes live (like I do, and you've stated you do most of the time as well), why not just change the clicks up at that point? Or even just the accents if it's the same feel/subdivision (straight or triplet). Why not embrace the B Status instead of playing "against the grain" (metronome), and forcing a foreign beat to feel as natural as possible? After all, we do have the metronome to keep us anchored. I'm not suggesting this out of an inability to play in the A status, but if what we are looking for is to fit a different tempo as naturally as possible into another one, why not just play that tempo?

I know, this concept sort of ruins the magic. But I'm very eager to hear your thoughts!

All the best,

Fox

Hello Mr. Gavin.

Could you share some thoughts about Your choice of a drum stool? Did You use round-shaped stools in the early days? How did Your leg performance and overall leg feel change after You started using bicycle saddle-shaped? I am after getting a new drum stool after using a cheap Mapex round seat stool for 3 years. Of course I do not expect my legs to play faster or easier after I get a bicycle shaped one, but I do believe that it should let the blood flow more freely and thus make it easier to play.

Looking forward to hearing Your opinion on this.
Thanks.

Cheers from Lithuania!

Hi Samshster

Do you have any plans to play in the US anytime soon? I'd gladly travel to attend a clinic or show of yours.

No plans at the moment other than I'm pretty sure King Crimson will be playing in the States later this year - I don't exactly where yet.

How can I begin to incorperate rudiments into my drum set playing? I've been working on fills based on the left flam triplet, and it really inspires me to bring in other rudiments to my set playing. Any advice on how to do this?

Here's a very interesting site with a huge amount of hybrid rudiments http://www.ninjadrummist.com/drum-rudiments/rudiment-encyclopedia/ you might find some that you'd want to work out on the drumset. It's not really about how many rudiments you can play but how inventive you can make them around the drums.

Hi Fox622003

My question is about A Status and B Status. Your opinion is that the drummer should never wade from the A Status (as per Rhythmic Illusions and numerous other materials). But most of the time, when playing an illusion what we strive for is to make it feel as much as how it feels when we play the original B Status, while still anchored to the original Status/tempo. Since many drummers extensively use programmed metronomes live (like I do, and you've stated you do most of the time as well), why not just change the clicks up at that point?

At the moment that I might feel inspired to play some kind of 'rhythmic illusion' during a fill or solo section I wouldn't have time to stop and program the metronome. I only superimpose these illusions for a very short amount of time and I don't know exactly when I might do them. I just hear them as syncopation.

... if what we are looking for is to fit a different tempo as naturally as possible into another one, why not just play that tempo?

If I was setting up a modulation to go into another tempo - and it was part of the arrangement of the song - then yes I would program the click to change into the new tempo. If the 'implied tempo' change was just for a bar or so - I wouldn't bother.

Hi scottishhaggis

Could you share some thoughts about Your choice of a drum stool? Did You use round-shaped stools in the early days? How did Your leg performance and overall leg feel change after You started using bicycle saddle-shaped? I am after getting a new drum stool after using a cheap Mapex round seat stool for 3 years. Of course I do not expect my legs to play faster or easier after I get a bicycle shaped one, but I do believe that it should let the blood flow more freely and thus make it easier to play.

I've used the saddle shape for many years now - and feel more comfortable on it than a round one. For the past few years I've used the Porter & Davies BC2 and my one has the saddle shape to it.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin

Have you ever used brass snare drums? May i ask about your point on them?

Thanks
Gustavo

Last edited:
Hi Gavin,
I wasn't on the forum for ages. Since I'm looking for more information about sonor Prolite series i think about asking you question as you have recently opprotunity to play Prolite drums on your Canada clinic tour.
Can you compare those drums to your maple SQ2? Mainly Vinage shells are the same but the hardware and suspensions change the sound which is better in SQ2 series? did you notice any other differences? Can you compare prolite sound to any other drums?

Do you have any SQ2 set made from beech wood? I'm condireing in ordering SQ2 made from beech once prices are slightly better than maple.

Thank you in advance for your help!!!

I hope you will be visiting Poland soon as hope that you will be able to play in Center on North!!

regards,
Rafal

I don't mean to sound like a huge fan who think's you're god reincarnate, but is there anything you can't do, or really struggle with? I've seen videos on YouTube and everything seems so effortless - do you really find such complex arrangements so easy?

Hi Gus

Have you ever used brass snare drums? May i ask about your point on them?

Many years ago I used to play a couple of Ludwig brass snare drums and I liked them very much. I haven't played one lately.

Hi dejus

Since I'm looking for more information about sonor Prolite series i think about asking you question as you have recently opprotunity to play Prolite drums on your Canada clinic tour.
Can you compare those drums to your maple SQ2? Mainly Vinage shells are the same but the hardware and suspensions change the sound which is better in SQ2 series? did you notice any other differences? Can you compare prolite sound to any other drums?

I really enjoyed playing the Prolite series - and in many ways they are the same as the SQ2s with the vintage shells. I couldn't notice a sound difference due to the hardware mounts but I haven't done a controlled studio A/B test either. I haven't really played any other manufactures drums for the last 13 years so I don't know what to compare them with.

Do you have any SQ2 set made from beech wood? I'm condireing in ordering SQ2 made from beech once prices are slightly better than maple.

I don't have a Beech SQ2 so I can't help you with that - but I have never played a bad sounding Sonor "Made In Germany" drumset.

Hi Illusion1409

I don't mean to sound like a huge fan who think's you're god reincarnate, but is there anything you can't do, or really struggle with? I've seen videos on YouTube and everything seems so effortless - do you really find such complex arrangements so easy?

thanks. Of course when you see a clip of me playing something complex on YouTube - don't forget I rehearsed the hell out of it before I went on stage.

cheers
Gavin

Gavin:

I thoroughly enjoyed your clinic hosted by Vic in Chicago last fall. I've been playing your signature model sticks ever since they first came out. All of a sudden, recently, I've had two break on me within 5-10 minutes of playing them. Do you ever get a "bad" set of sticks or have them break soon after playing a new set?

Hi Gavin,
Thanks that you have time to reply on my post. This is always great to hear from you.

I'm more and more convicing myself to choose Prolites instead of SQ2 as mainly is should be really similar especially the shell quality is the same.

Firstly I need to sold my Masterworks set up to get new drum. I think Sonor would give me more open and warm sound I'm looking for right now.

Keep drumming and all the best for you.

Rafal

Hello Gavin,

I was fortunate to meet you in person and see your clinic at Vic's (Martyrs) in Chicago last fall. It was wonderful. Thank you for such a great clinic and thank you for being here and sharing your thoughts and experience. I would also like to thank you for producing your lesson dvds and books which I have purchased and am learning a lot from. I hope to see you on tour again someday.

Best regards,
Scott W.

Hi Gavin,

I like listening to music, different kinds of music, like yesterday I was listening to a lot of David Gilmour, today I gravitate towards Metallica, a couple of days ago I was watching PT Octane Twisted dvd - what do you listen to these days?

Also, could you name some of your favourite recordings? (of yourself playing drums of course), not necessarily complicated drum parts you like, but songs.
Although I like rhythmic illusions, complicated patterns and so on, I'm more interested in songs - making music.

Thanks, m.

p.s. taking the time to answer all these questions is really cool on your part, just by doing this you prove, apart from being an absolute amazing drummer/musician that you are a really nice guy too!

What happens now polyrhythm

Hi Gavin,
I have been trying to get my ears around the section that starts with the distorted guitar coming in at about the 5 minute mark. It's in 5/4 (a loop used in another song im pretty sure) after 8 bars you come in with i think a 3/4 on the ride but I haven't got a clue what you playing for the backbeat.
Please come visit Glasgow if your doing clinic tours again, it would be great to have youb here, thomas lang is gonna be here soon and thats a real treat but if i was honest I prefer your style!

Many thanks,
Tam Hewitt-Baker

Hi all
so many pages here that it must already be listed .....

Fear of a blank planet BUT that wall of notes at 4 mins ??
starts on about beat 4

im guessing that its a lot along the lines of loads of 5 groupings
can anyone point me in the direction of whats really going on ha... YIKES !
Thanks

Hi Gavin,

I signed my Sonor endorsee contract this morning...super excited to get my hands on your signature snare, it's apparently on the water from Germany, heading to Africa as I type this :)

I'm getting an Ascent as well. Have you played on an Ascent kit? I'm interested in what you may have to say about it. I play pop, country and small jazz gigs mostly (though I'm taking the plunge and getting a Martini as well...should be interesting!) and I'm hoping the Ascent's beech sound will be what I'm after: sustain, but not as much as maple and more than birch; great tone.

Anyway, great to see you here. Any plans to come to South Africa?
Cheers

EDIT: What are the chances! The Sonor AR guy says you'll be here in April! Looking forward to meeting you in Johannesburg. I'll bring my Protean and a felt tip marker :)

Last edited:
Hey Gavin,
do you know the SONOR Pure Canadian Snare Drums? Have you tested or even played them? If yes, what's your opinion on these 13 ply Canadian Maple Drums?

Thanks.

Keep up your great work
Kind regards
Stefan

Back