DW Go Anywhere Practice Kit - Your opinions!

Zorlee

Hi!
I'm moving out after this summer, and will have limited drumset-sessions. Therefore I'm looking for something that will help me keep my hands and feet in shape.
I've been looking at the DW Go Anywhere Practice Kit. I tried to search, but didn't find a thread where there were some in-depth feedback on how this thing works. How does it feel? How is the quality? Can it handle a lot of hours of practise, or will it break? Thanks :)

Yours sincerely,
Zorlee

PS: If there's already a thread like this, just direct me to it, and delete this thread. All I want is some solid information :)

Its well made, feels great and it's expandable. You don't normally 'bash' on a practice pad set. Great for warm-ups, sticking, footing and working out songs. This is the best pad set on the market right now IMO. Portable, quite and useable. I know of nothing better that's available.

Attachments

• PADTS5.jpg
    PADTS5.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 364,863
it seems like a really good design.
i was thinking about getting it, but my friend who owns it said not too.

he said that you need to really tighten the wingnuts to keep the pads in place,
which ends up shaving some of the metal off.

Thank you very much for the videolinks! :)
The thing I worry about is: Is it silent enough to not piss of your neighbours? I'm not talking about if you live in a house, but if you live in an appartment - will it annoy the people living over/under/next to you?
Thanks... =)

Gum-rubber pads hommie, your blender makes more noise. You could build an isolation mat to sit them on. Only thing quiter would be mesh heads.

QUOTE=thesilentnoise;448225]it seems like a really good design.
i was thinking about getting it, but my friend who owns it said not too.

he said that you need to really tighten the wingnuts to keep the pads in place,
which ends up shaving some of the metal off.[/QUOTE]

I mentioned wadding up a little piece of aluminum foil and putting it in the screw holes to stop slipping. Well, my original fix-thought was a BB (BB-Gun), but I didn't have one.

Just had the carpet changed in the living room and found one 'Underneath it all'. it fits and it holds great. So try a BB in the screw hole for extra holding power.

since i'm in the military and had to live in the dorms (barracks) for a while, i HAD to get something to practice on b/c i couldnt handle the withdrawals from playing anymore. my girlfriend bought the practice kit for me for christmas (yeah, i know, she's awesome). its so much better than just playing on a single pad. especially with a pedal attached to it. i think my drumming has actually improved since practicing on it. its really quiet, so there shouldnt be an issue as far as noise. obviously i'd rather have the real deal, but for my circumstances, this will do just fine. i would say go for it. i do kinda have an issue with the nuts not staying tightened, but its really not that big a deal. just keep a drum key handy.

I am going to buy one tomorrow.

If you hit hard, a drum set fitted with mesh heads is more bueno.

These DW pads are hard and if you like to wail it can get loud and make your hands sore... way louder than mesh heads anyway. You can wail for hours on mesh heads and your hands don't suffer.

The big plus with mesh heads is you're beating on a real kit (your kit) with all the correct, real life heights/angles and distances, and they's cheap!

I owned the DW kit for a while and although it was really quiet in a music store where I tried it out, once I got it home and played on it, it was no longer completely silent. Didn't have any problems mentioned about things loosening up, though. It's built pretty well. But I ended up returning them. The feel is of a hard rubber pad. I know one must compromise, but I don't have to do that anymore since I live in a house and can practice during the day on the real thing.

When I lived in a townhouse connected to four other units, I bought me those Real Feel neoprene pads and put 'em on the drums and the cymbals. Alot quieter and I was sorta' playing my own drums. No one noticed I was playing the drums there. If I had a second cheap-o kit and outfitted it with mesh heads, that I would consider the ultimate.

Back