Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Thanks for the link :)

I think the Signet drums sound really good! Ludwig's clear heads are pretty bright and ringy too, so if they sound good with those, they'd sound great with some coated heads IMO.

That's my thinking as well, coated or the right 2-ply will really warm them up.

Will have a chance later in the week to start working with therm.

Bermuda

Thanks for the video Jon :) I'm very used to listening through camera audio. To me, the differences did translate (I am listening through good reference gear though). Signet & Keystone sat with a similar voice to me, even allowing for the different heads. Keystone was slightly shorter voiced. I expected that due to hardware mass reduction on the Signets. Classic maple really stood out though. A substantial difference in the fundamental of the toms (especially the mounted tom), but the bass drum is where I heard the biggest difference. Very nice! The Legacy bass drum was much more tame, as were the toms. In fact, apart from tuning, the Legacy's sat nearer the Keystone than the Classic Maple. Would be great to hear a better honest capture (room sound, not close mic's) of all the kits. I know time was short, but a bit more playing at different dynamics would be great too :)

Of the 4 kits set up for comparison, the Classic Maple and Keystone sounded best to my ear. The Legacies spoke nicely, but weren't quite as full and 'round', and the Signets sounded different due to the clear heads, at least in person. Unfortunately, the first hit of the Signets clamped-down the camera's limiter, and it had a strange dynamic at first, but the sound is definitely in there.

Bermuda

Of the 4 kits set up for comparison, the Classic Maple and Keystone sounded best to my ear. The Legacies spoke nicely, but weren't quite as full and 'round', and the Signets sounded different due to the clear heads, at least in person. Unfortunately, the first hit of the Signets clamped-down the camera's limiter, and it had a strange dynamic at first, but the sound is definitely in there.

Bermuda

Yep. The Classic Maples sounded great to me too. But I'm biased ;)

Although, unlike Andy, I would say all the kits have that intangible Ludwig sound. I've always felt Ludwig kits need some tweaking and elbow grease to experiment to get to your sound, but once you're there, you got it! They're like a slightly wild child out of the box that needs some taming. Whereas when you go play Yamaha, Tama, or Pearl kits, they have this tendency to sound somewhat EQ'd and docile. Both good, just different approaches. But I do love that Ludwig sound for controlled out-of-control-ness ;)

[A good analogy of this would be to look at Remo's black dots. They call them 'controlled sound', but they're really anything but - it takes care to make them sound good]

Damn!!!

I might have to go and order some classic maples now!

My wife is not going to be happy with you Bermuda!

;)

Mark

Nice, and they were definitely applauding for me... very happy that I stopped!

This didn't sound bad at all, but there are differences between the series that didn't translate, such as the warmth & oomph of the Classic Maple kick, which was really really nice!

If anything, it serves to confirm what I said about the new line fitting nicely with the others.

Bermuda

Actually I could hear that the classic maples kick was much bigger. Apart from the last kit the toms sounded mostly the same, but I have played a keystone a few weeks ago and I thought it was really good, am a big fan of the look too.

I'm very impressed what Ludwig as achieved with the Signet kit. This sets a new standard of innovation and high quality homeland products.

Any chance of Ludwig making a concert tom version? I bet they would sound great!!!

Sign me up for an 8,10,12,13,14 tom, 16 floor (no bottom head), 14x22 or 20 inch bass drum configuration :)

I'd love to see some new, classic sized concert toms from Ludwig! But those are an uphill battle themselves. There's just not a renewed demand for them, because everyone thinks they know what concert toms sound like, and that's not what they want. Of course, they only know that '70s padded, dry sound, and won't give them a second chance. That's another discussion for another thread.

Ludwig never stopped making them, and most companies still offer them in their concert percussion lines (which is where the name comes from... not rock concerts.) If they did re-introduce them for kits, it would probably be the Keystone, or more likely Classic Maple. Legacy would be cool, but they don't make 6 or 8" Legacy toms (can't put the rings in them in those sizes.)

Signet toms would be really easy to convert on your own though, just remove the bottom heads, pull the lugs out, and voila! Sizes are 8/10/12 rack, and 14 & 16 floor. Not a whole set, but close enough!

Bermuda

I saw a set today at GC in the ebony finish. $799 for 12,14, 20. American made kit that looks great, likely sounds great and at a price point you would expect from imports. I honestly think Ludwig has a winner on their hands. The kit seems to lend itself to being road worthy because it is so simple.

I got Musician's Friend's newest catalogue in the mail today. Had some silly British invasion theme on the cover, not sure what was up with that....

Anyway, I flip to the back part to look at the drum gear and lo and behold the Signet kits are featured on there but with what I assume is the incorrect sizes. The 3 piece kit is listed as 22x18, 16, 12. Pretty sure that's not right.

I saw a set today at GC in the ebony finish. $799 for 12,14, 20. American made kit that looks great, likely sounds great and at a price point you would expect from imports. I honestly think Ludwig has a winner on their hands. The kit seems to lend itself to being road worthy because it is so simple.

Are you in Germany now?

I'd love to see some new, classic sized concert toms from Ludwig! But those are an uphill battle themselves. There's just not a renewed demand for them, because everyone thinks they know what concert toms sound like, and that's not what they want. Of course, they only know that '70s padded, dry sound, and won't give them a second chance. That's another discussion for another thread.

Ludwig never stopped making them, and most companies still offer them in their concert percussion lines (which is where the name comes from... not rock concerts.) If they did re-introduce them for kits, it would probably be the Keystone, or more likely Classic Maple. Legacy would be cool, but they don't make 6 or 8" Legacy toms (can't put the rings in them in those sizes.)

Signet toms would be really easy to convert on your own though, just remove the bottom heads, pull the lugs out, and voila! Sizes are 8/10/12 rack, and 14 & 16 floor. Not a whole set, but close enough!

Bermuda

If you haven't already, check out C&C's instagram and the like. They too are trying to start a concert tom revival. They have an acrylic kit already rocking.

Last edited:
One thing's for sure about the Signets - they sure created a buzz on the forums.

That's true, more because they're so misunderstood than that they're either great, or terrible. The truth is, very few people really know much about the drums, and even fewer have been hands-on with them the way just a few people in Monroe, and I have been.

I'm definitely in a unique position to help correct some misconceptions, and discuss what these drums are about. I'm not trying to convince anyone to like the drums, and you can't really arrive at a conclusion unless you hear them and hopefully play them. I would just prefer people to have sufficient, correct info before deciding that they love or hate the drums, or that the concept is silly or brilliant, or whatever, and without the benefit of even hearing them.

Not like this is the first time people have expressed opinions based on partial and incorrect info gleaned from sources who are not in a position to know the facts, or who have not had any experience with the product.

Bermuda

My issue is the interior of the drum that had no heads looked clean

Signet_03.jpg

Yet all toms that were assembled, there was shell damage at nearly every lug hole. It was a bit hard to photograph given the lights hitting the drum head produced a lot glare into the camera, but it was very visible.

Signet_01.jpg

Signet_02.jpg

Which you could say, no big deal, it's not that bad, but none the less, it reflects sloppy workmanship.

My issue is the interior of the drum that had no heads looked clean

Signet_03.jpg

Yet all toms that were assembled, there was shell damage at nearly every lug hole. It was a bit hard to photograph given the lights hitting the drum head produced a lot glare into the camera, but it was very visible.

Signet_01.jpg

Signet_02.jpg

Which you could say, no big deal, it's not that bad, but none the less, it reflects sloppy workmanship.
so should their quality department discard all of the shells with tearout? is there tearout under the washers of most of the drum shells out there on the market?

Of the kits at NAMM, a couple were hand-drilled protoypes, and weren't intended to be sold (I have some of those drums now.) The partially assembled kit was done on a C&C machine and reflects what the stores will be selling.

There wasn't an intention to hide anything by putting heads on the other kits, although it was important to show and demonstrate a kit that the dealers can expect from Ludwig, so that's the one chosen for closer inspection.

Bermuda

Back