How do you get out there?

Liaztraht

Silver Member
How is it you find a good band to gig with?
I would love to do small gigs, but every band I've been in either just wants to cover bands I don't care for, are unreliable always forgetting their guitar parts and not showing for practice, or want me to do crazy things out of my skill level, that don't fit the music.

I've done rock, black metal, grunge, funk and others, but they all end the same.
My current band is black metal, but there is no scene for it here, and the guitarist is always so high/drunk that he can't remember anything we write. So there are no shows we could play.

I play anything, preferring a solid beat and groove over fancy show.

I would just like some tips, pointers and stories of how you found yourself a gig worthy band.

Open mic blues jams is as far as I had to go. Not sure if they have equivalent jams in your preferred genre. But if they do, try going there. They get to see you play, you get to see them play, and the rest takes care of itself.

Open mic blues jams is as far as I had to go. Not sure if they have equivalent jams in your preferred genre. But if they do, try going there. They get to see you play, you get to see them play, and the rest takes care of itself.

That is basically how mine started. Showed up with my kit at a friend's, and I was the only one who could play it with the right punk and thrash influence.

First thin g I would do is distance myself from this guitar player. He will do nothing but give you a bad reputation. Second if the type of music you are playing has no audience in your area , switch. Play what draws a crowd and stop trying to force you style on the available audience., You can't sell Christmas trees in the summer.

I've been trying. The only thing around here is hardcore. And not the good kind. I hate playing breakdowns. XD

I don't know where to look for good old rock around here.

I can get another guitarist, but he is thirty miles away with no car. Can't afford the gas

Then you need to leave and come to Los Angeles ;)

Oooh I wish I could...

I can pay guitar too, but drummers are rare around here. At least ones that can pay solid enough...

I looked on a map and you live in a beautiful area! but ya its far from any city that would have many clubs/bars gigs. Crescent City? Medford? Yreka?

Either move or drive to where the action is.
As for finding people, craigslist musician ads...but it takes time (many, many months and trials) to find the right people with the same interest, genre, time commitment, etc. In my experience, there can be several flakes to weed through.

I agree with Grunter if you want to gig, your genre has to fit with that. Good old rock and roll has to be playing somewhere in your neck of the (red)woods.

I looked on a map and you live in a beautiful area! but ya its far from any city that would have many clubs/bars gigs. Crescent City? Medford? Yreka?

Either move or drive to where the action is.
As for finding people, craigslist musician ads...but it takes time (many, many months and trials) to find the right people with the same interest, genre, time commitment, etc. In my experience, there can be several flakes to weed through.

I agree with Grunter if you want to gig, your genre has to fit with that. Good old rock and roll has to be playing somewhere in your neck of the (red)woods.

I actually moved from there recently. Same state, but in wimer, part of rogue river. I have closer accesses to the bigger towns, but still have y trouble finding people.

Back