...for the jazz cats ...

4c1c41e9_CompleteLiveatthePluggedNickel1965CD1-ColumbiaLegacy1995.png

I finally got my hands on a copy of this(it's out of print so I had to go with a less than dignified approach :(). It's amazing! I never get tired of listening to these guys. Just hearing the different approaches to the same song between two nights is enlightening enough. Highly recommended.

Ref the Plugged Nickel sets...I was there on Friday night and it remains one of the best live
performances I have had the pleasure to take in.

I don't know where to post this so Brady, if you happen to read this I have attempted 4 times
to reply to your pm but they evaporate....I have no idea why I can't reply, much to say.
I will continue trying.

Ref the Plugged Nickel sets...I was there on Friday night and it remains one of the best live
performances I have had the pleasure to take in.

I don't know where to post this so Brady, if you happen to read this I have attempted 4 times
to reply to your pm but they evaporate....I have no idea why I can't reply, much to say.
I will continue trying.

Yeah, that shutdown really screwed things up for a while. I couldn't see any threads last night. I actually had to engage in a conversation with my wife. :)

I got the PM's though. Thanks for sharing so much.

Now he sings.....bought it in 69' and it has been a favorite over the many years....love playing along with it. Never saw this video before...nice!

I love some of the old jazz album covers! Especially Jim Flora:

SAM_3352.JPG

Came across this tonight ... the groove and vibe are killer ... this one's for you, Larry 8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxwAvS3mUi8

Nice, Grea.

Part of the rich history of the incredible Blue Note label (which, if you're not familiar with it, you should check out here and here) is their album cover art, designed by the great Reid Miles.

out+to+lunch.jpg

4c1c41e9_CompleteLiveatthePluggedNickel1965CD1-ColumbiaLegacy1995.png

I finally got my hands on a copy of this(it's out of print so I had to go with a less than dignified approach :(). It's amazing! I never get tired of listening to these guys. Just hearing the different approaches to the same song between two nights is enlightening enough. Highly recommended.

Did I tell ya, or did I tell ya??

It's a work of art. Incredible stuff.

spinning this right now

just a phenomenal record ...... phenomenal !!!!

jamalt.jpg

My teacher passed me the Nickel sessions last week, actually he gave me his expansive hard drive and told me to go to town with it so I went a little bit overboard jaja. I still haven't listened to them, Branford Marsali's Braggtown caught me offguard and I haven't been able to stop listening to it, especially the beautiful ballad Hope. Anyways this week I'll definitely sink my teeth (ears?) into the Nickel sessions, can't wait!!!

I stumbled across something online, a master graduate thesis about Elvin Jone's playing style. It's basically a very in depth analysis, discussing his time feel, ride pattern and approaches, complete with transcriptions, comparisons with other drummers, discography, history and the whole nine yards. I'm not too sure if I'm allowed to post something like this...anyone interested feel free to send me a private message.

Has this been put up here? Straight No Chaser? Monk, Nellie, and lots of scenes that'll make you emotional. Great music, by the greatest jazz musician/composer then, now and forever.

Listen to that band, his quartet. There are moments when it sounds like they're playing free jazz. And Ben Riley, he needs to be checked out more.

Has this been put up here? Straight No Chaser? Monk, Nellie, and lots of scenes that'll make you emotional. Great music, by the greatest jazz musician/composer then, now and forever.

Listen to that band, his quartet. There are moments when it sounds like they're playing free jazz. And Ben Riley, he needs to be checked out more.

Ben Riley is absolutely one of my favorite drummers of all time

Ben Riley is absolutely one of my favorite drummers of all time

Absolutely!

I was only casually aware of him until I saw him on the Art of Playing Brushes DVD. I've since checked out quite a bit of his catalog.

A seriously underrated drummer.

Absolutely!

I was only casually aware of him until I saw him on the Art of Playing Brushes DVD. I've since checked out quite a bit of his catalog.

A seriously underrated drummer.

he was the first jazz drummer that I heard myself in ....if that makes any sense to you

we have these natural tendencies and ways of comping and phrasing things that turn up in our playing from either tunes we have heard or things we practiced endlessly or maybe just the way we feel the music .......and when I hear Ben Riley I hear my tendencies all over his playing .
it was so reassuring to hear because I frequently war with my tendencies and try to break them ......Bens playing convinced me to embrace them and perfect them

it was such a warm feeling when I realized it and from that very second on I held a special spot in my heart for that mans playing

I thought this was pretty cool and figured you guys would dig

Clark Terrys phone book from the 1960s....check out some of those names

clarkterryphonebook.jpg

I have a general jazz drumming question.

I never learned to feather the bass drum as I played. I play a ton of rhythms in my foot so (a la Elvin Jones) mainly because I never learned this method. As of recently, I have been practicing a little bit and playing 4 on the floor when I am not adding other rhythms in the right foot. I was just wondering what your opinion was on this technique - does it actually do anything (sorry if that sounds incredibly ignorant, but I really don't know).

Thanks,
Leo

I never learned to feather the bass drum as I played. I play a ton of rhythms in my foot so (a la Elvin Jones) mainly because I never learned this method. As of recently, I have been practicing a little bit and playing 4 on the floor when I am not adding other rhythms in the right foot. I was just wondering what your opinion was on this technique - does it actually do anything (sorry if that sounds incredibly ignorant, but I really don't know).

Thanks,
Leo

its original purpose was to back up the bass player and add some percussive attack to the walking quarter note before proper amplification when playing with big bands and sort of became tradition

it is still taught as the proper way to learn jazz drumming before branching off into more contemporary approaches

it became less necessary in the bebop and post bop era but a lot of those guys still feathered ....and still today if you watch guys like John Riley and Jeff Hamilton you will see them feathering

it is really meant to be felt and not heard.....it does give the music a real hard swing when played properly

I find myself feathering on certain tunes out of habit.....on certain tunes and tempos it just feels appropriate and really helps drive the music

Last edited:

Thanks,
Leo

I like keeping a soft pulse going on the bass drum, just like you say you've been doing it. Do it, and make it your own.

Back