DSLR Cameras

jakester

So im trying to determine which camera to get. Should i get a Nikon or a cannon DSLR. Feel free to post some pictures for me to see the difference between the two brands.

My girl has a Cannon 50D she's crazy about. She tells me (much like drums) once you get into that pro-ish level, the differences are negligible. That being said her camera was 1800 bucks, I don't know if you're looking to spend that kind of money...

another question how did you set the your profile to every time you post the links under you name is always the same

It's in your "User CP" tab on the top left. After that, "Edit Signature" should be on the list on the left side of the page. Use that to add a signature, which you can put a link in.

I've used both Nikon and Canon professional models ($5,000 plus) and I'll tell you this: they're both about the same. Like anything, it's the brain behind the camera just as its the brain behind the drum kit that is the most important. You can check my photo blog and there's no way you could tell what I shot a picture with. One is not better than the other.

It's not so much the camera, but the lenses you need to be thinking about. I'm not familiar with what's out there now, I own a Nikon D70s which is 5+ years old and it does everything I need.. I think a google search for 'Nikon vs Canon' should give you some insight.

What is your budget? I have a 500.00 Sony with multiple lenses, bayonet mount, that does me just fine. I shoot large resolution photos that don't fit on this website so I can't show you. Bo has good equipment, but as was mentioned, lenses are the answer. Learn to shoot in proper lighting for the best photos. You don;t need a 5000.00 camera just to shoot ariound. I have a smaller camera that I use to shoot around the house and at drum clinics so I can fit them to DW's format. It also does small movies that I can load to YouTube. First your budget, then your primary use. BUt don't limit your self to only a few brands.

I've used both Nikon and Canon professional models ($5,000 plus) and I'll tell you this: they're both about the same. Like anything, it's the brain behind the camera just as its the brain behind the drum kit that is the most important. You can check my photo blog and there's no way you could tell what I shot a picture with. One is not better than the other.

She is right bud once you get to that level its all about who is behind the camera not the camera itself. My facebook page in my sig is a link to just a few of the pictures I have taken with a Canon T1i.

My Budget is around 1500 For the camera and the accessories
Would this be a good deal:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+E...ryId=pcmcat180400050006&id=pcmprd171400050021

Yeah if its your first DSLR and your new then sure its a great camera but if your budget is 1500 I would suggest something like this.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+E...?id=pcmprd171400050023&skuId=9999171700050023

And then you only need a tripod and maybe a different lens but you'll be surprised on how well the stock lenses are.

Not to confuse even more but as I said, the camera doesn't really matter, at your point on the learning curve, the lens isn't really gonna matter right now either. Lots of people have done great photos with the kit lens too, ya know. Once you learn how to operate the new machine you need to learn how to light things up and you'll need to get into off- camera lighting if you want anything to look professional. Mosey over to www.strobist.com to see what people can do with their one external speed light. If you're into photography at all you should be impressed.

One tip from this very amateur photographer.

Learn how to shoot manually. Turn off all the automated settings on your camera (after you've had a play, of course) and learn how to adjust aperture, focal length, exposure, etc. This will give you a much better understanding of what is actually going on when you take a picture and align you with the principles to produce better automated shots. Unlike with film, you get instant feedback with what you're doing. It's much easier to learn now that it was even fifteen years ago - speaking from experience.

Not denigrating automation at all but I only own one camera with automated features. It's not easy to produce good shots without them (which is why I'm still on a steep learning curve) but I feel as though I understand what I'm doing even if it will only improve through practice. Automation is there to help you but you shouldn't be using it for everything all of the time. With these modern DSLRs, it's quite possible to pick and choose which settings you want to be manual and use these to great effect.

^ this is very true. In my job (tv cameraman) we don't even have auto focus or auto exposure, though it's somewhat easier with video anyway.

Using at least the shutter or aperture priority modes is a good place to start, from there you can just use +/- exposure compensation. And make sure your ISO setting is not set to 'auto' too.

^ this is very true. In my job (tv cameraman) we don't even have auto focus or auto exposure, though it's somewhat easier with video anyway.

Using at least the shutter or aperture priority modes is a good place to start, from there you can just use +/- exposure compensation. And make sure your ISO setting is not set to 'auto' too.
Hey Kettles. Would you give me a Christmas present and change your avatar. I really hate looking at that guys face. I keep linking that picture to you, and I know nothing about you besides that you have good taste in drums. :)

Not to confuse even more but as I said, the camera doesn't really matter, at your point on the learning curve, the lens isn't really gonna matter right now either. Lots of people have done great photos with the kit lens too, ya know. Once you learn how to operate the new machine you need to learn how to light things up and you'll need to get into off- camera lighting if you want anything to look professional. Mosey over to www.strobist.com to see what people can do with their one external speed light. If you're into photography at all you should be impressed.

X2

As a professional photographer for the past 17 years I can tell you that in the right hands a good photographer can create (in most cases) the same image with a $500 camera vs a $5000 camera. It's all about taking the time to learn how to use it and for the love of Pete turn it OFF OF AUTO!!!

Learn about the ISO, White Balance,depth of field, how to read the internal light meter and get correct exposures and such. Like MFB said learn to shoot in manual so you truly understand how things work together.

The strobist is an incredible site.

Nikon vs Canon makes no difference, it's a matter of what feels best to you, which one is most comfortable in your hands and has menus that make the most sense to you. If you are wanting to seriously buy one look at www.bhphotovideo.com that's where I pretty much purchase most of my gear from

X2

As a professional photographer for the past 17 years I can tell you that in the right hands a good photographer can create (in most cases) the same image with a $500 camera vs a $5000 camera. It's all about taking the time to learn how to use it and for the love of Pete turn it OFF OF AUTO!!!

Learn about the ISO, White Balance,depth of field, how to read the internal light meter and get correct exposures and such. Like MFB said learn to shoot in manual so you truly understand how things work together.

The strobist is an incredible site.

Nikon vs Canon makes no difference, it's a matter of what feels best to you, which one is most comfortable in your hands and has menus that make the most sense to you. If you are wanting to seriously buy one look at www.bhphotovideo.com that's where I pretty much purchase most of my gear from

I just got the new B&H catalog in the mail today. Always WAY too much stuff I want to buy when I start looking through there.

Back