Evans G Plus, a superior resonant head

Just to clarify gentlemen, a G1 and a Genera are both 10 mil. The Genera Reso is made of a slightly softer material.

I've been thinking of trying the clear G pluses as reso's under clear G2's. Anyone still using this combo with good results?

I experimented with EC2's as reso's for 3 days with not good results. They would be great in an all cement drum booth though.
The Genera is 7 mil. Softer plastic creates a better resonant head. The EC Resos, which are far more resonant than G1's, are 10 mil, but are made with a much softer plastic. G Pluses should make a good resonant head, but the softer plastic EC Reso might be more resonant.

Ok let me clear this up.

Thinnest to thickest:

Genera Resonant Glass/Black - 7mil ultra clear film
Genera Resonant = 10mil ultra clear film
Genera G1 = 10mil cloudy/hazy film
EC Resonant = 10mil ultra clear film
Genera GPlus = 12mil cloudy/hazy film

The Genera Resonant heads, while as thick as the G1s are much brighter sounding, which sort of counteracts the whole warm, fat sustain you were going for in the first place. Regular G1s are the better of the two here. The EC Reso are supposed to give a warmer sound though. The Genera Glass are the thin ones, but again are the brighter sounding film. Less sustain, and brighter tone=thin sounding drums.

I get a good sound from Vintage E's/Reso Glass combo. Would like to try coated E's/coated A's, anyone try this combo?

I had a customer come in with a 12" Sonor 3005 tom. The drum was completely dead before (g2 coated over g1 clear) no matter how you tuned it, it just didn't sing out like 3005's usually do.

We ended up putting an ec2 coated over a g plus coated. the drum sounded amazing!! Really warm fat tone with excellent sustain (even though it was coated). Obviously the clear would have an even longer sustain but for the sound he wanted the coated was just perfect.

I would love to hear a gplus coated over a gplus coated for a nice warm super fat tone.

God Bless,

dxtr

Ok, I'm slightly confused. How would my toms sound with G2's over g plus? Do I have to use G1's instead?

Ok, I'm slightly confused. How would my toms sound with G2's over g plus? Do I have to use G1's instead?

No, you don't have to use G1s, but that's what most guys use, or any other 10mil clear single ply reso such as Remo Ambassadors.

Use the G-plus as a reso if you want to increase sustain. (More mass = more sustain, assuming the same number of plies.)

I use them to equalize the sustain among the toms. G1s go on the toms that sustain the most, G-pluses on the toms that sustain less.

I run G2's over G pluses and love the sound. I like to get maximum unmuffled sustain from every piece, but drumtechdads method is a good one if you don't like too much sustain

I am using coated heads. Do I have to use clear to get this reaction or will the G2 coated over g plus clear work as well.?

The coated heads are a little warmer sounding, the clears give you more attack. I like the attack, but you may not. But the coated heads will work nicely if you like the coqated sound

Ok, I am now a believer!!! Went out and bought Gplus's for my 10 and 12 in toms and switched the batter heads to coated G1's. The toms sing like never before and believe me I have tried a lot of different resoheads. This combination is truly awesome!!!

Hi everyone,

I have been following this thread closely; it seems like there are a lot of interesting things people have been trying out and with good results for them!

I want to replace my tom heads soon, so I thought I could get some advice here on head choices/combos. First off, my tom sizes are 12x9 rack and 16x16 floor. One thing that I want to work on when changing heads is getting more even resonance between these two drums. The 16 is so boomy, while the 12 is much more controlled; I don't like how they sound together at all.

So, from what I'm hearing on this discussion, I can use the resonant heads to even out the sustain. The sound I'm looking for overall is a warm sound with a lot of tone, a slightly focused attack, and good articulation. So, basically, a sound that when you hit the drum, you get a little attack and clear resonance without a lot of overtones in the way of the drum's fundamental note.

I'm thinking that on the 12x9 I would try a G1 over a G1 and on the 16x16 G1 over a G2? I would rather shorten the sustain on the 16 with a 2-ply head to match the resonance of the 12, than increase the sustain on the 12 with a G Plus or EC on the resonant side to equal the boom of the 16.

Anyone have any comments/suggestions/experiences or whatever to help achieve the sound I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance!

Ok, I am now a believer!!! Went out and bought Gplus's for my 10 and 12 in toms and switched the batter heads to coated G1's. The toms sing like never before and believe me I have tried a lot of different resoheads. This combination is truly awesome!!!

Yea man Evans heads are great. The G plus is the resonant head of choice for me. I used to be a Remo/Zildjian guy, but now if I had to choose, no contest Evans and Sabians.

I used to use clear G1's over clear G pluses, but went to clear G2's over what else G Pluses. Doommmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Yea man Evans heads are great. The G plus is the resonant head of choice for me. I used to be a Remo/Zildjian guy, but now if I had to choose, no contest Evans and Sabians.

I used to use clear G1's over clear G pluses, but went to clear G2's over what else G Pluses. Doommmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Try G1's over the pluses, WOW!!!! clean clear crisp articulate warm!!!!! I think I just peed my pants......damn.

This is a great thread! I have two new kits on the way and was thinking about head choices.

Last year I purchased a set of Evans clear G Plus for use as batters. As you may or may not know, the G Pluses are a 12 mil film, where clear Ambassadors and G1's are a 10 mil film. So I changed to G Pluses on the batters over G1's and I took them to one gig. The G Pluses lacked the attack I like...When I hit my toms with the G Pluses, instead of hearing "Dooom", I heard "Oooom" So off they came.
So today, ever the tweaker, I decide that I want to try the G Pluses as reso heads. I've gathered here that a thicker head will vibrate longer and have a warmer sound than a thinner head.

That's exactly what the result was. My toms note sang noticeably longer, with definite added warmth. I like an open and lively completely unmuffled tom sound with a crisp stick attack. My toms with the G Pluses over the G1's are noticeably better sounding than the same tom with the G1's over the G1's. It kept the attack of the 10 mil film, but sang longer and warmer. I was very pleased with the improvement and the first thing I had to do was to say it here...G Plus Clears make superior sounding reso heads! I'd recommend giving them a try.

I've been using 2 ply heads on the bottom of floor toms for a deeper tone. It's an old trick.

Thin heads make drums sound thin. There's no way you can get a fat sound out of a thin head. At least I didn't.

For accuracys sake, the G Plus is a single ply head. I guess next I should try G2's over G2's and see how THEY sound. I want the longest note possible, but not at the expense of crispness and attack. I'm very happy with my current setup, but will experiment further w/ G2's.

Anyone have any opinions on G Plus as batters?

Back