Re-Plating Hardware

Muckster

Platinum Member
I'm currently restoring a 60's era Ludwig snare and have decided to re-plate the hardware.
I talked with Drum Doctors and they said they could do what ever i wanted (chrome, brass etc..). The quoted me a reasonable price but i was wondering if anyone out there knew of any other drum restoration shops i could compare to.

I've talked to local plating places around my area and their quotes are outrageous.

Thanks.

How do they charge? Per piece, or for "X" amount of lugs it's "this" much?
How about shells, or did you get that far?

The local places probably don't do a lot of "drum stuff", so they may be giving you the "PITA job price".

How do they charge? Per piece, or for "X" amount of lugs it's "this" much?
How about shells, or did you get that far?

The local places probably don't do a lot of "drum stuff", so they may be giving you the "PITA job price".

Karl,

I sent them a list of what i wanted done and pics to show condition of the parts. They quoted off of that. Didn't get into shells because i can do that myself. Yes, the local places told me i had too little to be competitive and you are right, they are not drum friendly.

I've had a replater give me a quote recently for replating some lugs, a strainer and butt and i was quoted £175. I bought new direct from Tama in the end and it cost me about 30% of that quote.

Mega rip off.

I've had a replater give me a quote recently for replating some lugs, a strainer and butt and i was quoted £175. I bought new direct from Tama in the end and it cost me about 30% of that quote.

Mega rip off.

I would have done the same but these parts are vintage, there is no buying "new."

Do you GOTTA have the vintage parts?

New lugs would probably be less money than a re-plate, and you'll get 2 sets of screws that would fit any depth shell.
The new ones also don't have the springs in them.

Unless there's a difference in the shape of the older lugs, and you GOTTA have "real" vintage parts for some reason....

I'm not saying "just get new parts" because I KNOW (from experience haha!) if you just have to have something a particular way, that's the way ya want it.

If you went with new lugs, you could always off the old one's on eBay too...

Just somethin' to throw out there.
Good luck!

+1 I have to agree with Karl.The collectable value of that drum is really not much if its a supra,because there were tens of thousands made,and the drum is being rechromed,which also devalues it.You can't possibly recoupe your investment here,as there are plenty of drums out there in collectable original condition.All you have is a player,so using new hardware is the cheaper way to go.

Steve B

Back