Americans eating Aussie foods and giving impressions.

Always hilarious to see the Yanks chow down on Aussie cuisine (it never ends well).
If it's not chock full of sugar and fat- it must taste bad right?

God, you lot are a bunch of simpletons!! :)

Milo: Is nothing more than chocolate flavouring. So surprisingly enough it tastes just like chocolate milk. Also works a treat when sprinkled on vanila ice cream. I can only take it by the reactions that Yanks are neither familiar with chocolate nor milk. Little wonder the great empire has fallen.

Chicos: Couldn't agree more. Horrible, horrible tasting things that we use as a closely guarded national gag and all giggle relentlessly as we feed 'em to American tourists.

Chicken flavoured chips: Self explanatory really. Not my personal choice (that would be a good old plain potato chip....or crips for the dim witted on the other side of the Pacific), but as you noted by the reactions there, the majority actually thought they were ok.

Pizza shapes: Agreed. These things do NOT taste like pizza. Bloody tasty snack nonetheless though. I defy anyone who has started a box, to stop before they actually finish the thing.

Vegemite: Jesus. What can I say? Yanks.......you have absolutely no clue what subtlety and restraint are do you? Much in the same way that caviar is friggen horrendous when gorged with a shovel, vegmite is bound to come on a little strong when one consumes it by dipping a soup ladle into a jar. Here, we spread a small amount on our toast. Try it like that, you may be surprised. I have tunred both American and Canadian visitors onto our national spread by getting them to eat it as intended.

That aside, yes, there is no escaping the fact that Aussies are a weird bunch. This is what comes from being isolated at the arse end of the world. However, if you find us strange, then you've really gotta check out the Kiwis!! :)

tim-tam.jpg

018146.jpg

362488.jpg

And even though religious talk is banned:
tooheys-extra-dry-beer-online-1368422569.jpg

My bosses are both from Australia and divide their time between here and back home. They brought us some of those Tim Tams and... wow. One of the best things I've ever eaten. I've pretty much stopped eating sugar, so I'm not eating stuff like that now. But whoa, I would love to.

Vegemite is an ingredient. Thick toast or a fresh slice of bread, coated with butter and topped with a thin layer of Vegemite - THAT is how Australians eat it. Would you eat a teaspoon of anchovy? That's equivalent to what those tasters were doing.

Vegemite and Milo are not what you'd call good food but Chicos, crisps and Shapes aren't even food, they're edible mouth toys.

God, you lot are a bunch of simpletons!! :)
Huh? What's a simpleton? Are you trying to say I'm from a town named "Simple"?

Milo: Is nothing more than chocolate flavouring. So surprisingly enough it tastes just like chocolate milk. Also works a treat when sprinkled on vanila ice cream. I can only take it by the reactions that Yanks are neither familiar with chocolate nor milk. Little wonder the great empire has fallen.
We have a vile powder here that I think is the same thing, it pictures of cartoon rabbits on the container. It was sold to us by the Swedes, and that same company also has a pet-food division.

Chicos: Couldn't agree more. Horrible, horrible tasting things that we use as a closely guarded national gag and all giggle relentlessly as we feed 'em to American tourists.
I'm seeing a pattern here, because you said the same thing about Fosters. I now think you're just trying to minimize the embarrassment of enjoying horrible things. Here in the land of freedom, we just put either ketchup, corn syrup, or cheese on things that taste bad, sometimes all three, and then eat them anyway.

Chicken flavored chips: Self explanatory really. Not my personal choice (that would be a good old plain potato chip....or crips for the dim witted on the other side of the Pacific), but as you noted by the reactions there, the majority actually thought they were ok.
My only note here is that I fixed your incorrect spelling of "flavored".

Pizza shapes: Agreed. These things do NOT taste like pizza. Bloody tasty snack nonetheless though. I defy anyone who has started a box, to stop before they actually finish the thing.
They don't taste like pizza, and they are not shaped like pizza in any of it's forms. A slice shape would have been acceptable. Even round, fine. Square, sure it's a deep dish. Flipping hexagon? And we're the dim-wits? At any rate, now I have to go find some.

Vegemite: Jesus. What can I say? Yanks.......you have absolutely no clue what subtlety and restraint are do you?
Don't be rude. Of course we do. I just rented out a bit of our office space we weren't using to another company yesterday, so I was being sub lety, less than 24 hours ago.

Much in the same way that caviar is friggen horrendous when gorged with a shovel,
Non-sense. Don't knock shoveled fish eggs till you've tried em.

vegmite is bound to come on a little strong when one consumes it by dipping a soup ladle into a jar. Here, we spread a small amount on our toast. Try it like that, you may be surprised. I have tunred both American and Canadian visitors onto our national spread by getting them to eat it as intended.
I'll give vegemite a go. I think if I just mix it with some ketchup, I could get a spoonful down. Also Canadians will say they like whatever you give them on account if their irrational politeness and agree-ability. Try it next time. Give them dog food on a cracker. They'll say "MMMMMmmmm. That's good, eh?!"

That aside, yes, there is no escaping the fact that Aussies are a weird bunch. This is what comes from being isolated at the arse end of the world. However, if you find us strange, then you've really gotta check out the Kiwis!! :)
I doubt I need to. You sound exactly the same, so it stands to reason that you share all other qualities.

My only note here is that I fixed your incorrect spelling of "flavored".

Nope Watsy. "Flavour" is the actual English word. "Flavor" is just Webster's bastardisation to create a distinctive 'Marikan language.

I'll give vegemite a go. I think if I just mix it with some ketchup, I could get a spoonful down.

That's the first time I've seen anyone naive enough to sample Vegemite by the spoonful. As I said, it's like a spoonful of anchovies. Would tomato sauce help you get down a spoonful of curry powder?

I actually have a tin of Milo in the kitchen. Tasty stuff, I like to add a big spoonful to blended fruit and milk for a breakfast shake. I like it because it isn't too sweet. My relatives in Mexico drink Chocomilk, very similar.

I would very much like to try Vegemite. Can it be purchased in US stores? Maybe an international market or a specialty store.

I would very much like to try Vegemite. Can it be purchased in US stores? Maybe an international market or a specialty store.

A truly great midnight snack is fresh bread toasted, plenty of butter and a thinnish spread of Vegemite or equivalent - Mighty Mite, Promite, Aussiemite, Vege Spread (yeast and gluten free) etc.

Is vegemite the equivalent to the South African 'Marmite/Bovril'? Because that stuff on toast when you are hungover is the bomb

For this obvious bias of Vegemite over Marmite, I will not stand!

Vegemite is much more solid in its composition. Marmite has a lower viscosity and is therefore able to more ably blend with butter on toast and reach all parts of the slice. It's bloody wonderful stuff.

YUK!!! ...that's utterly disgusting Grea :(

Harden up, Henri! There's a decent chance that at some stage this century insects will form part of our staple diets :) Not that that's disgusting - kind of like prawns/shrimp.

For this obvious bias of Vegemite over Marmite, I will not stand!

Vegemite is much more solid in its composition. Marmite has a lower viscosity and is therefore able to more ably blend with butter on toast and reach all parts of the slice. It's bloody wonderful stuff.

My fave is Vege Spread, made by Freedom Foods (man). Again, lower viscosity plus being yeast and gluten free. Flavour-wise I can't tell much difference between the brands.

WTF is it? Just a sort of bitter/acidic taste, or something? How would bitter go with butter?

Am I really going to have to go try some? I actually do see it in local groceries...

WTF is it? Just a sort of bitter/acidic taste, or something? How would bitter go with butter?

Am I really going to have to go try some? I actually do see it in local groceries...

It's a malty yeast extract. It's not bitter, it's quite salty.

You are. Toast, butter and spread thinly. If you're new to it, then you should be able to see the toast through the spread.

Back