Skin me up, scotty. Aquarian vs. Remo 1 plys

JesusMySavior

Silver Member
Lerkin fer some new heads here. Preferrebly clear.

What's your experience with Aquarian Classic Clears on both the batter and the reso - and also, has anyone tried those black Classic Clears? Are they coated, or just colored?

Sound any different?

My kit is made out of Luan and Birch shells.

I'd like to say too that Evans is also a possibility too because I haven't ever tried a bad Evans head. G1? What's the tonal difference out of all three of these heads, if any?

Also, what's a good reso head? I want an open tone, but controllable. I have one Diplomat already for my 12" tom that I haven't put on (don't knwo why I bought it in the frist place) but if I go with the Aquarian Black Clears I want them on the bottom too.

Thanks!

I can tell you I put the Classic Clears on as Reso's. Not that you are after them but I put the singly ply coated as tops and they, in tandem with the Classic Clear reso's are smoking awesome! These replaced Remo heads.

Don't know anything about the black classic clears but my guess is they are the same as the clears.

The Evan's G1's are also nice heads.

Last edited by a moderator:
yep, black is the same just colored, I use the studiox as my batters on toms just for a little bit of control as i found the cc over cc just a bit too open, plus if you find the studiox too controlled just peel off the control ring and your left with a cc.

I have classic clears on the bottoms of my DW kit and I love them.

I have been using the coated version on top. Very nice warm sound with tons of attack.

I have no experience with the black version.

I'm pretty sure that black heads have a warmer sound to them, not as bright. Aquarian CC's are fine heads.

I went ahead and ordered classic clears, the clear ones, for my 12, 13, and 14 toms. I ordered them from MF because of the $20 off $99 or more deal. I also got a couple sweet CAD pencil condenser mics and some drum keys.

Hope it sounds stellar! Do these heads sound good both tuned high and low?

if single ply clear is you combo
this is a good deal:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ATT-DHAPACKI

$20 for a set..doesn't get any better

I just put these heads on my kit and they sound good - they might have a shorter life span than others I don't know yet for sure but that is what I have heard. The collars are very solid, they tune up real easy and have a drier sound than regular ambassadors.

Actually your probably gonna find they last twice as long as an evans and 3 to 4 times as long as remo.

if single ply clear is you combo
this is a good deal:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ATT-DHAPACKI

$20 for a set..doesn't get any better

I just put these heads on my kit and they sound good - they might have a shorter life span than others I don't know yet for sure but that is what I have heard. The collars are very solid, they tune up real easy and have a drier sound than regular ambassadors.

Actually your probably gonna find they last twice as long as an evans and 3 to 4 times as long as remo.

the only thing you ever hear about Attack is that Terry Bozzio endorses them, lol. I had one attack head on my first drum kit that I got. I couldn't really tell a difference between all of them...one of them had a coated ambassador, another had the stock yammie head on it, and one had the attack. It was fairly average I guess.

you can't beat $20 for a set of heads though, problem is my kit is traditional sizes, not these new fangled 12,13,16....

Sorry, my bad, thought we were talking abut Aquarian, didnt check the link, doh!

Ironically I was reading a Modern Drummer magazine today from '96, and in the mag it had Attack heads ads all over the place.

Maybe it's a sign? lol

Back