Really weird snare stand...

Goreliscious

Can anyone offer up a reason for this?...

I bought a single braced snare stand to replace my double braced one. To set it up so it was at the same height and angle of my double braced stand I had the stands setup side by side and was moving the snare between the two.

Suddenly I noticed that the snare sounded noticeably different between the two stands! On the double braced stand it sounded meaty and big, (it's a 14 x 6.5 snare), but on the single braced it sounded much thinner and weaker.

I didn't have the snare basket tight on either stand and I was hitting the drum in exactly the same way. The only reason I can think of why it sounded different is because the second brace on the double braced is a bit of extra mass for the drum to resonate through...but this seems a bit far fetched and kinda unlikely. Any thoughts?

Your right about the "mass" statement. That's one of the reasons I like fairly heavy weighted stands. If you have a critical ear and put the same size cymbal on two different stands of different weights, you can hear a difference in the cymbals sound because the cymbal will have less reaction if it sits on a heavier weight stand. The heavier weight stand will not resonant nearly as much interfering with the quality of the cymbals sound. I find it most noticeable on crash cymbals. Also mounting a rack tom on a lighter weigh stand cymbal stand will give the stand more bulk and limit unwanted oscillations in the cymbals sound. You want the cymbal to talk, not the stand.

Dennis

I noticed that as well. I had a single braced pearl snare stand, and it snapped in half on me. I bought a Tama RoadPro double braced with what I thought were "Isolation" feet on the basket, and my Sonor Phonic 14x6.5 snare sounded a LOT fuller, and more resonant. Now that I know its the extra mass making the difference, Ill have to do some expirimentation with some old cymbal stands I have...Thanks Audiotech. Never wouldve thought of that. Glad someone else noticed it too, so now I know that im not bonkers...

Your right about the "mass" statement. That's one of the reasons I like fairly heavy weighted stands. If you have a critical ear and put the same size cymbal on two different stands of different weights, you can hear a difference in the cymbals sound because the cymbal will have less reaction if it sits on a heavier weight stand. The heavier weight stand will not resonant nearly as much interfering with the quality of the cymbals sound. I find it most noticeable on crash cymbals. Also mounting a rack tom on a lighter weigh stand cymbal stand will give the stand more bulk and limit unwanted oscillations in the cymbals sound. You want the cymbal to talk, not the stand.

Dennis

Wow. I've never given this any thought. Interesting.

Back