Gone retro!

ironicaly, my landlord came over one day and handed me a DW hihat stand that matches my DW 5000 bass pedal, I was using an old beat up pacific HH stand, as I piece my kit together as money comes in...one thing I will say from a engineering point of view, that tama pedal in the pic actually looks well thought out...I'm really into symmetrics and the one thing that always kind of makes me wonder, is when i watch my foot play the DW 5000 bass pedal, you can see it pulling to the spring side, which of course is going to happen, you cannot defeat gravity. would have made more sense balance-wise to have a spring on each side, but that's just my own personal mania. I'm sure you're going to love the tama gear, it'll still be liught years ahead of what drummer had to use in the 50's and 60's.

Wow. That's kinda' cool to have your landlord bring over DW stuff!

Regarding your gravity idea, then that happens to every pedal because they're all designed that way (and they have been since the dawn of time apparently). You're not alone. And the 5000 pedal design does work very well - I've liked mine since I first played it in the 80s.

But it's funny, I went to Tama in 1980 because I had to play that really light stuff they designed in the decades prior. In fact, Tama was the only game in town if you didn't want to go with the Rogers stuff. The only problem is, there hasn't been a real evolution since Tama came along. Things just got bigger and bigger and way over-engineered.

DW has a 7710 straight stand, single braced with a toothless tilter.

9944-ST9197710.jpg

O thank you kind sir, I am not the greatest researcher. Really, you probably just made a sale.

Wow. That's kinda' cool to have your landlord bring over DW stuff!

Regarding your gravity idea, then that happens to every pedal because they're all designed that way (and they have been since the dawn of time apparently). You're not alone. And the 5000 pedal design does work very well - I've liked mine since I first played it in the 80s.

But it's funny, I went to Tama in 1980 because I had to play that really light stuff they designed in the decades prior. In fact, Tama was the only game in town if you didn't want to go with the Rogers stuff. The only problem is, there hasn't been a real evolution since Tama came along. Things just got bigger and bigger and way over-engineered.

yeh, it's that my landlord is a working musician, plays in a few different bands, and in this case, a club owner, owed him money, and is also a drummer, with tons of extra gear, so he got soem of the money he was owed, and just gave me this hh stand, cause he couldn't bear to watch me play that thrashed pacific stand another minute...works for me :D

yeh, it's that my landlord is a working musician, plays in a few different bands, and in this case, a club owner, owed him money, and is also a drummer, with tons of extra gear, so he got soem of the money he was owed, and just gave me this hh stand, cause he couldn't bear to watch me play that thrashed pacific stand another minute...works for me :D

That's a great landlord. I wish people would give me stuff because they see me struggling with something inadequate! Must be my bad karma ;)

I know you're not DW bashing, but I have had direct experience of DW hardware failures, mainly linked to poor casting quality. My DW 5000 pedal's working very well though, but my Yamaha pedals are better made, & I'm actually preferring them from a playing POV too. That surprised me.

My buddy who used to work at a local GC has many stories of guys coming in with broken hinges on their DW pedals. He even has a DW 5000 on his kit with a broken hinge.

This is why I love my Axis. I bought a single pedal used for nice and cheap which turned out to be one of the first 100 pedals ever built, had a little bit of problems with the original spring though. A few hours with a set of hex wrenches, a little elbow grease and a new $30 spring component has the pedal playing like new again. I'm a bit of a stomper with size 11 hooves so if that that thing hasn't broken yet I think it'll be fine.

I am currently using single braced hardware from Tama and Sonor.
I have single braced hi-hat and snare stands.
No problems!
I don't understand why one would need a double braced stand to play Moderate Rock, Blues, and Jazz?

Has anyone tried the stands from Gibraltar that have the legs that sit flat on the ground?
I haven't used stands like that since I was a kid. I was thinking of getting a few.

I am currently using single braced hardware from Tama and Sonor.
I have single braced hi-hat and snare stands.
No problems!
I don't understand why one would need a double braced stand to play Moderate Rock, Blues, and Jazz?

Has anyone tried the stands from Gibraltar that have the legs that sit flat on the ground?
I haven't used stands like that since I was a kid. I was thinking of getting a few.

I had those Gibraltar stands just recently and those are pretty cool. The only reason I didn't stick with them is the odd chance my stands get set up on a rolling stage or platform. They easily fall over with cymbals on them when you shake the whole stage around, so I acquiesed and had to opt for the normal tripod bases. But if you never set up on a rolling platform, they're perfect. You should check them out - they've made the bases slightly wider than in the 50s and 60s, and they use modern nylon bushings on the tubes and a nice, solid tilter mechanism. DW also makes them, but they cost more.

Rumor has it Peter Erskine left Yamaha for DW because Yamaha wouldn't do flat-based cymbal stands. I don't know how true that is though (if at all), but it would be a funny story.

Between the thread talking about '80s drums and drum sounds and my own thread complaining about the stupid engineering design of the DW5500 three-legged hi-hat stand, I began to consider ditching DW altogether (of course, I won't since I've replaced my 5500 hi-hat with the smaller, lighter, probably more functional 3500 hi-hat to couple with my 5000 Turbo pedal).

But I kept looking back to what I played as a kid when mom & dad pretty much paid for everything, and I forgot that Tama had been around throughout the '70s. When mom & dad bought me my first proper Slingerland kit, I quickly saved up my pennies and a year later (1979) I walked into my local music store (who was a Tama dealer) and picked up a Tama King Beat Pedal when I was all of 13 years old). I played that pedal pretty much exclusively with no problems until 1984 when I went to DW stuff that I actually coupled with my first-ever pro Tama Superstar in cherry wine but in Stewart Copeland's sizes (a five-piece). Little did I know I was beginning an association with DW that I'd come to regret today;) It seems like such a long time ago.

What I remember most fondly about the King Beat was that my foot at the time actually fit inside the dimensions of the pedal (not including the heel part). So I've understood for the last 31 years why people with big feet love the Speed Cobra. I don't think my foot has gotten much bigger since then, either!

Anyway, today I found a couple of people who actually had the Tama King Beat for sale. It may be nostalgia talking, but I'm gonna try it again. I even managed to find a Tama Titan hi-hat stand in pretty good shape from 1980 as well. I think it would be a nice 'one-company' contrast on my kit. Imagine a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite kit from 2009, and then you go around back and see two vintage Tama hardware pieces from 1980! I think drummers who know will think it was a kick! I'll post pictures when they arrive and I get a chance to clean them up, but here's a couple of shots from the 1980 Tama catalog. Enjoy the trip down memory lane if you're a Tama nut like me!

Behold, one of the companies that brought you the dreaded '80s ;)

I remember you posted on a thread about the speed cobra. I wear a men's size 6 shoe and was worried about the SC being too big for my feet. I thought the longboard may bother me at first or somehow inhibit my playing, but honestly, I realized it's not much longer than a regular pedal. So, I like it so far. I was able to try it at a Guitar Center once... alongside the DW's, Pearl and Yamaha models that are popular. And none of them compared to the SC. It's my first pedal upgrade, so I don't have much to compare it to by way of experience, and because the feel is so different than my first pedal, I do have a little bit of a learning curve....the SC is way smoother. So, It's a learning curve for me. But, I was wondering if you've tried the SC since you're last post about it and, if so, what your thoughts are compared to the Iron Cobra? I was also interested in the Iron Cobra, but since I had only tested the SC (and don't have a music store anywhere close to where I live), I decided to go with the SC.

I remember you posted on a thread about the speed cobra. I wear a men's size 6 shoe and was worried about the SC being too big for my feet. I thought the longboard may bother me at first or somehow inhibit my playing, but honestly, I realized it's not much longer than a regular pedal. So, I like it so far. I was able to try it at a Guitar Center once... alongside the DW's, Pearl and Yamaha models that are popular. And none of them compared to the SC. It's my first pedal upgrade, so I don't have much to compare it to by way of experience, and because the feel is so different than my first pedal, I do have a little bit of a learning curve....the SC is way smoother. So, It's a learning curve for me. But, I was wondering if you've tried the SC since you're last post about it and, if so, what your thoughts are compared to the Iron Cobra? I was also interested in the Iron Cobra, but since I had only tested the SC (and don't have a music store anywhere close to where I live), I decided to go with the SC.

If the pedal fits for you, that's great. I did get a chance to try the Speed Cobra at a Sam Ash not too long ago and for me wearing size 5 shoes, it did feel quite a bit longer than what I'm used to. But it was a wonderfully smooth feeling pedal, but I didn't think it felt incredibly different compared to the DW5000/9000, or the Trick, or any of the other new super pedals you can find in the shops. Over the years I've discovered pedals are like shoes: you find something you like and you keep wearing it. You might try a different style of shoe but there's always one type of shoe you keep coming back to. I don't have a problem playing any pedal I put my foot on, I'm just trying to get to the nirvana-stage of pedal usage. In addition to getting into this old King Beat, I did find a same-era Tama Flexi-Flyer pedal I'm thinking about getting to. It's one of those super-simple pedals with a cam and a strap like what I grew up with (if it wasn't a Ludwig Speed King). I'll bet either one will do. I may do a de-modification to my DW5000 pedal and put a cam with a strap back on that, I don't know yet. But at the same time, trying to be different all the time leads me to these experiments (or conclusions) that if I use stuff nobody in their right mind would ever use, there will be something about my playing that's just different from the next guy.

I had those Gibraltar stands just recently and those are pretty cool. The only reason I didn't stick with them is the odd chance my stands get set up on a rolling stage or platform. They easily fall over with cymbals on them when you shake the whole stage around, so I acquiesed and had to opt for the normal tripod bases. But if you never set up on a rolling platform, they're perfect. You should check them out - they've made the bases slightly wider than in the 50s and 60s, and they use modern nylon bushings on the tubes and a nice, solid tilter mechanism. DW also makes them, but they cost more.
Thanks Bo, I remember my 60s stands swaying a lot and the rubber feet of the day used to split and fall off easily.
I imagine that with a wider base and modern feet they will be much better.
My experience with Gibraltar is that they make only good products.
I do understand that they will sway more than a triangle base stand.

Thanks Bo, I remember my 60s stands swaying a lot and the rubber feet of the day used to split and fall off easily.
I imagine that with a wider base and modern feet they will be much better.
My experience with Gibraltar is that they make only good products.
I do understand that they will sway more than a triangle base stand.

I think you should treat yourself, Bob. You can find 'em for $49.99 new with free shipping from alot of places! Hell, if you buy more than one they'd probably give you a discount ;)

I'm thinking of wrapping my old Gretsch in White Marine Pearl.
I may finish the new look of My old kit with flat stands.

The full circle would've been back to the Speed King ;)

one of these days i'll get another Speed King just for the heck of it. i haven't played one since i swapped it out for a Rogers Swiv-o-Matic back in 1970!!!!!

9944-ST9197710.jpg

Are you sure that's a gearless tilter? I have DW stuff and every tilter I've seen from them has teeth. Larry don't like that ;) Besides, the 7000 series DW stuff is almost as heavy as their big stuff because the tubing is the same size, they just took away the extra metal on the legs.

I know you're kinda anti-DW gear (right now haha!)....

It's absolutely a gearless tilter on the 7000 stands. I have 4 or 5 of these, and there is a noticable difference in weight between these and the regular HD 9000 stands.

The tubing is one step down from the standard HD 9000 (1/2" top, or, 5/8 on boom version, 3/4 middle, 1" base).
Where the leg itself attaches to the tube (at the bottom) is very well done, and the thing that tightens the legs to the tube is well done. A nice and sturdy stand.

The 3500 double braced stands have a regular tilter, but are still lighter than the 9000 [1/2" boom] [3/4" upper tube] [1" base tube] The top (tilter) tube on the straight is I think 5/8.
I got mine when they were still the 9000 "light" series.

I have a few of each style (straight & boom) and I just use the toothless boom arm in the booms. Actually, I can't remember now what I did with the geared tops....

If I don't use the Flat Base 6000 cymbal stands, I use the 7000's, and the hardware case is still manageable carrying up/down my walkout stairs.

OK, I'm done being a hardware geek...for now.

I bought some DW6000 stands - they're amazing!
I even bought a DW9002 pedal and I'm thinking about buying the hi-hat stand and a extra single for cowbell and when I don't need double (I play funk, so I don't need it often..)

I just bought all DW9000 series stuff. I'm still waiting delivery on a few items. I didn't realize just how heavy this series was until my snare stand arrived. That thing is a beast.

IMG_2195.jpg

Back