Dave Grohl

nursingdrummer said:
I remember reading an old modern drummer issue years back when someone "gripped" at the notion of Dave Grohl being on the cover....Dave is actually a very competent drummer and over all musician...he has the ability to lay down some seriously heavy beats and never once does he step over his boundries in a song writing context...for all the "ney-sayers" out there just listen to "Everlong" or some of the QOTSA stuff or any Nirvana stuff...the guy can sing, play guitar, and is asked to play drums for just about everyone out there.... including Tom Petty......hats off to ya Dave!
Everlong is my favourite Foo Fighters song. I have to say Dave has inspired many drummers. Bands wants him because he is such a good drummer bands that had him say that he's the best drummer they've ever played with and I think It's okay to say Dave Grohl is probably one of the best rock drummers out there. When it comes to Rock Dave is the man! :)

Two words- RENNISANCE MAN.

Dave is just one of those guys who does it all. He starts out in Nirvana {and no matter how over rated they are still deserve respect} goes on to do the Foo Fighters which is a big change from Nirvana and in my opinion better. Then he drums for some of the biggest names today, goes on to start a record lable. Then as a side note writes an incredible Metal album { Probot is such a great concept}. This man deserves more respect than any other man in rock and roll today.

Dave Grohl was a huge inspiration me growing up. I'm not really into the Foo Fighters now, but I love when I see that he's sitting in with someone else. He might not be the most technical drummer and he actually get slammed in MD by a reader for even being put on the cover. Saying that he was only on the cover not for his technical ability but for how many albums Nirvana sold. He's influenced a ton of drummers, is a nice tight solid slammin drummer and is one hell of a musician. That's enough for me.

I think the reason Dave Grohl is such a GOOD and influential drummer is that he simply gets 'music' overall.
His beats, although not super super technical, are always perfect for the type of music he is drumming for. He is also very versatile.

An album to check out is the recent self titled Killing Joke album which Dave provides drums on (because of the whole Nirvana plagarisim thing).
Im not really into Killing Joke's semi-metal sound, but Daves driving drums just sound so damn good at it.

As for Songs for the Deaf. I can never do any sort of work listening to that album, as i find myself compulsively air drumming till i injure my shoulders.

I should really check out that NIN record, sounds interesting.

Dave Grohl = Not only good thing about nirvana
Dave Grohl = Horrid guitarist
Dave Grohl = Generic vocalist
Dave Grohl = Overrated drummer

giantantreal said:

Now provide the evidence.... let's hear it.

finnhiggins said:
It was actually Bernard Purdie playing on all those Nirvana records :)

Oh so that is a "YEAH!" that I thought I heard at the end of Teen Spirit...

If you want to hear some serious Grohl drumming you should listen to the Tenacious D album theres some interesting stuff on there and its got some really good tunes too.

giantantreal said:

he's quoted th definition of rock in this era. You need an ego check or something.

nice reply. dave grohl isn't bad at guitar! he's been playing that longer than the drums (beleive it or not). he's a rock musician, so don't expect him to play his best.

mediocrefunkybeat said:
Now provide the evidence.... let's hear it.

Why cant we be friends?
why cant we be friends?
(smashmouth)

giantantreal said:
Why cant we be friends?
why cant we be friends?
(smashmouth)

We can be friends, I just want to see the evidence. Just forum etiquette, it just happened to be you, could have been anyone.

i have MUCH respect for dave grohl (having backed up the foo's twice on their canadian tour )he is an outstanding MUSICIAN and one hell of a nice guy to hang with !!!! taylor too!!!!

Back