Phobias

If I'm not around other people for more than couple hours, it gives me a lot of anxiety. So dying alone would be downright terrifying.

That just spins my head. I find being around people for too long is exhausting and need to get away. I suspect other people may feel the same way about me, so it kinda works out for everyone.

Never heard of drop bears before so I had to look it up. Amazing what you can learn on the forums.

Dying alone. If I'm not around other people for more than couple hours, it gives me a lot of anxiety. So dying alone would be downright terrifying.

To me, dying is a big, scary unknown whether I'm alone or not -the moment when you know this really is it. Makes my blood run cold thinking about it. If I'm old and decrepit and crapping myself etc, I'd rather be left alone so others would have happier memories of me.

I'm of the thought that dying will be just fine, as long as the pain factor is kept to a minimum. I expect a pretty cool experience, the next step. I'd probably prefer to die alone, so no one has to bear it as it's happening, but I wouldn't insist on it.

To me, dying is a big, scary unknown whether I'm alone or not -the moment when you know this really is it. Makes my blood run cold thinking about it. If I'm old and decrepit and crapping myself etc, I'd rather be left alone so others would have happier memories of me.

ALP wins the phobias thread.

Next to a personal experience of entropy, other phobias - even the cockroach one - are pretty small beer.

I'm not sure what I'm really afraid of. The usual stuff, I guess. I don't like swimming in deep water. I used to body surf a lot and it would freak me out if I couldn't touch the bottom easy with my feet. I almost drowned a couple times, and I had to be rescued a couple times. Not because I was freaking out, but because the surf was so heavy. But yeah, I love being on a boat on the deep ocean, but the thought of swimming in the deep ocean kind of freaks me out. I'm OK with swimming in a deep lake though, depends how big it is, but the ocean...that's different.

Next to a personal experience of entropy, other phobias - even the cockroach one - are pretty small beer.

I like that - "a personal experience of entropy". To be fair, lots of these like heights, deep water and dangerous animals plug right into The Big Fear. An even bigger fear for most people is falling into an ill state where you are in constant pain with no prospects but are kept alive against your will to the bitter end.

I don't like swimming in deep water.

Ditto. I feel the same as with heights, like there is this huge chasm drawing me in. Standing near ledges over large drops without safety railing really spooks me. Terra Firma for this little black duck.

Quite literally, accidentally falling down is a "personal experience of entropy". Can't say I'm afraid of it although it is generally unpleasant!

Regarding death, I see this as two issues. One, realizing you are about to die, and two, being dead. Based on basic biology I suspect that our personal experience of being dead is no different from our experience of what it was like before we were alive so I have no fear of it. Getting there is completely different. I think it's safe to say that depends entirely on what someone's expectation is, and in that situation all we have is our hopes and fears.

I have this weird hypothesis that every human, once they understand their own mortality, has a secret thought swirling in the back of their mind that they will be the lone unique human, the one outlier, who never dies.

An even bigger fear for most people is falling into an ill state where you are in constant pain with no prospects but are kept alive against your will to the bitter end.

Interesting that we have no problem euthanizing our beloved pets if they are in terminal pain but many of us won't extend the same hand to a fellow human, one who, unlike a dog, can make their wishes on the subject known perfectly.

I like that - "a personal experience of entropy". To be fair, lots of these like heights, deep water and dangerous animals plug right into The Big Fear. An even bigger fear for most people is falling into an ill state where you are in constant pain with no prospects but are kept alive against your will to the bitter end.

Ditto. I feel the same as with heights, like there is this huge chasm drawing me in. Standing near ledges over large drops without safety railing really spooks me. Terra Firma for this little black duck.

Yes, I remember standing on the ledge at the top of Yosemite Falls, and it does have that drawing you in type of effect, and it is definitely a spooky feeling. The Sears Tower in Chicago was the same. They have a glass ledge in there where you can walk out and see the city below. I was there in early 2009 before that area was finished with the construction.

I used to have a paralysing fear of sharks, specifically great whites. I happened to watch Jaws when I was really young and the fear of a big fish like that stuck with me. I was even scared to get in the swimming pool in case they "released Jaws".

I don't like the idea of swimming in deep water either. I mean, who the hell knows which way something is swimming at you from.

I thankfully got over those fears to the point where they are less of a phobia and more of a thought in the back of my mind. Nothing scares me now muwahahahaha. Eep.

That just spins my head. I find being around people for too long is exhausting and need to get away. I suspect other people may feel the same way about me, so it kinda works out for everyone.

Haha, maybe that was poorly worded. I meant to say that being completely alone for more than couple hours makes me anxious. I get irritated if I'm around people for too long too.

My dear Doctor- you will find an Australian (and quite possibly drop bears) in every continent on earth.
There is no escape....the Australians will soon be here....**didgeridoo plays in the background**

An Australian out of his natural habitat is no danger at all, like a shark on land. I can just pretend they are New Zealanders since the accent is the same, and there's nothing to worry about with the kiwis.

Though I'm quite sure drop bears are a location thing, I still don't walk under eucalyptus trees, just in case.

I know my cousin has trypophobia (fear of holes). I feel like I might be developing the same phobia after looking at pictures of lotus seed heads. It gets me very uncomfortable.
The thought never crossed my mind, but yeah, that causes a very unsettling feeling!

An Australian out of his natural habitat is no danger at all, like a shark on land. I can just pretend they are New Zealanders since the accent is the same, and there's nothing to worry about with the kiwis.

Yep, no difference at all- just like the American accent is exactly the same as the Canadian one ; )

My grandma lives in a neighborhood across the street from an unguarded beach. It's primarily used by locals who know where it is and jerks who like to park their massive trucks to fish (and they never catch anything). I cannot go swimming anywhere remotely near a fishing rod I'll trek further up the beach just to get away from them.

I know it's unlikely that I'll get caught on someone's line, but I can't imagine stepping on a hook and getting reeled in.

Also, my basement at night with no lights on is horrifying.

I have a strange fear of brand new incandescent light bulbs.

Any time I've had to change a light bulb, and I go to turn it on for the first time, I get tense and I prepare myself in case it explodes. I will go into the next room and then reach around the corner to flip on the light switch just in case. Once its one, it's fine. Never mind I've never had one explode on me. Never mind I've changed many light bulbs in my life without incident.

Strangely, and thankfully, this odd paranoia doesn't apply to CFL or LED light bulbs. So I have that going for me.

I have this fear of not being able to finish.........

Back