New band, impromptu show.

Pkaneps

So I just started a new band, we've got a few songs but none of them really down.

We were at a bar the other night that we go pretty often (pretty laid back place), and their band didn't show up. So one of the guys went and asked if we could play since we had most of our stuff with us and the drums were about 5 minutes away. They said yes. We probably would have just jammed some bluesy rock stuff, but our guitarist didn't want to.

My question is, would any of you have done something like that?

I figure a few decent musicians jamming is better than silence.

So I just started a new band, we've got a few songs but none of them really down.

We were at a bar the other night that we go pretty often (pretty laid back place), and their band didn't show up. So one of the guys went and asked if we could play since we had most of our stuff with us and the drums were about 5 minutes away. They said yes. We probably would have just jammed some bluesy rock stuff, but our guitarist didn't want to.

My question is, would any of you have done something like that?

I figure a few decent musicians jamming is better than silence.

I'd say go for it! What have you got to lose? Great just for the experience if anything and if you're concerned about ruining your reputation, just give them some bogus band name.

I would have done it. The worst that could have happened is that you play so bad you could never go in there again, but I'm sure there are other bars in town. Kidding of course. any music is better than no music and you have to start somewhere. Your feet are now wet and the experience I'm sure did you good.

I would have done it! In fact about 6 weeks ago our band minus the sax went to see our bass players kid on drums with his band. They asked us to stand in on their only break. We did maybe 5 or 6 songs. Our guitar player whined about it not being his guitar etc....but they also were not my drums, sticks, not the same bass, mics, mix, monitors etc. Sometimes it just shouldn't matter, just play.

Well we didn't do it, because of our guitarist, but I wanted to, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy.

I would have done it! In fact about 6 weeks ago our band minus the sax went to see our bass players kid on drums with his band. They asked us to stand in on their only break. We did maybe 5 or 6 songs. Our guitar player whined about it not being his guitar etc....but they also were not my drums, sticks, not the same bass, mics, mix, monitors etc. Sometimes it just shouldn't matter, just play.

What is it with Guitar Players?

I always though guitarists had big egos, and that kind of thing would be perfect for someone like that. I don't know. Mine's kind of shy.

I always though guitarists had big egos, and that kind of thing would be perfect for someone like that. I don't know. Mine's kind of shy.

Should have given the kid a few beers, slapped the guitar on him then throw him up there!

I would have jumped up there given the opportunity. Jamming, especially impromptu jamming with strangers is a form of social interaction that only us musicians are capable of experiencing.

Lately I've had the pleasure of seeing a lot of indie/artsy shows around town as my girlfriend plays trumpet in an indie latin rock band. The scene sort of has a 90's shoegazer thing going on in that it "is the scene that celebrates itself". My favorite parts of the shows are when people from other bands are invited to jump on stage with them and improvise. It's made for some goood times.

BTW, I am a guitar player too. In this same situation I would been up on that stage faster than you could say "paradiddle".

Well like I said, I was all for it. We were going to cover that Lady Gaga song Alejandro, I had never heard it, but we're doing it in a Johnny Cash/Rockabilly style, so I didn't really even have to listen to the song except to get a basic structure. Anyway, he's the kind of guy who's so concerned about image that he didn't want to play it. I don't know, maybe we should find someone a little more outgoing, who cares a little less what people might think.

Back