Best brand of drum set and why

matth

I'm looking into getting a new set of drums. Right now I have some small-company drums that no one's heard of. I don't know which company to go through. What's the best brand and why? Is there a certain line of drum set I should look for with that brand, too? And why?

I'm looking into getting a new set of drums. Right now I have some small-company drums that no one's heard of. I don't know which company to go through. What's the best brand and why? Is there a certain line of drum set I should look for with that brand, too? And why?

Everybody knows that Ludwig drums are the best there is......perhaps on a par with Gretsch drums. The reason they are the BEST, is b/c they're my favourites!! Easy hey??

In all seriousness mate.........that question is waaaaaaay too subjective. Most of the top of the line models of ALL the drum co's are damn fine instruments. A lot of the intermediate lines are excellent for the money too. This is just not a question that can be answered in a thread, as you'll get more opinions on 'what is best' than you'll have time to try them all.

Can we narrow it down any? Is there anything that has stood out to you in the past? What are your favourite drummers playing? Have you heard a set that had you thinking "Man, I gotta get me a set of these?" How much are you willing to spend? What have you tried already? What sounds are you trying to achieve? etc etc.

I know I've got more questions than answers for you, but you've gotta narrow it down a bit or else you'll end up with a jumbled wealth of information and you'll still be none the wiser.

The best brand of drums are the ones that sound the best to you. When you find the drums that you like the best, Buy them, No matter how little of much that they cost.
If someone gives you a drum kit, That is the best kit by far!

One more time.

Decide on how much you want to spend.
Then find the features and sound you want.
Then find the color you want in that drum set.

It really is that easy.

TAMA is the best by far... Well maybe. I like 'em anyhow. The Star Cast mounting system, the hardware quality and innovative engineering.

This topic is too subjective, really.

for the record, GRUNTERSDAD has it right.

me, i'd look at Yamaha, Mapex and Tama, all three make quality a priority...

Ok, I realize this is a broad question, so I will give more detail.

Right now I have a set where different drums are from different companies, basically. I bought an entry-level set and sold 2 of my toms and bought a different one, my snare's a different company, and my stands are just whatever I could find at a good deal that isn't complete crap. So I'm looking for uniformity, in part.

I've personally played on brand-name sets: Yamaha, Pearl, Slingerland, Tama
but I know that heads can essentially alter the "true" sound of the drums so I don't know that I can really go by that. I feel like I would need the same heads on the same-size drums on different brand-name sets to see what differences the drums give while playing them, but that's where I'm asking this question. What is it about your favorite company of drums that you like in their drumsets?

And I was talking to someone about this a little bit ago, I've been to websites of musical instrument dealers and they have listings for "Beginner" sets, "Intermediate" sets, and "Professional" sets. I don't really know what to look for. I don't know how much different the intermediate set would be from the professional set, for instance. I'd like to not by another "beginner" set, so I want a decent one, but I don't know all of the companies and which sets are lower-end and which are higher-end and why. I could research specs but I still wouldn't have them in front of me to play on. So this is opinion based, I realized, but I want to know why you do or don't like certain sets, certain types of wood shells, etc.

answer to your question is too broad and subjective to answer.

everybody has different reasons why they like one brand over the other and sometimes it has nothing to do with the sound.

to make things a bit easier, start out by figuring out your budget and next to find out what sound you are looking for. who is your favorite drummer? is your favorite drummer's drum sound what you are after? so on and so forth.

I'll tell you something right now. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS BEST BRAND.

only what is best to you.

i was recently in the same boat as you, granted i went in to it knowing it was going to be a great deal of personal opinion and subjectiveness but here's how i went about coming to a decision.

i decided on a budget first and foremost, can't go dreaming of a 10 grand kit when you only have a few hundred bucks to spend.

then i decide on what i was looking for in a kit, style of music, how many pieces, hardware and such. i also looked at which drummer's sounds i liked the most and looked up their kits to help me figure out what i was looking for.

then i went to 3 or 4 big internet dealers with a vast amount of drum kits, musicians friend, interstate music and so on, and i looked at every drum kit they had for under what i wanted to spend. picked out several that looked like something i would be interested in and made a mental list of all those manufacturers.

next i went to each and every one of those manufactures websites, looked at each drum kit they made. since my personal choices were to look at how many add ons since i use a very large kit, also specific sizes, virgin bass, tom mounting and such.

i slowly narrowed my choices down to around 5 or so. then i came here and started asking people opinions on certain things, reading what others were asking. eliminated a few choices added a couple new choices and went back and forth from posts here back to manufacturers and back again till i had 1 choice left.

this worked very well for me and i'm quite happy with my choice, only thing i would add to my process was to try out your final choices in person which i couldn't do since drum shops around here are lucky to keep around 10 kits at most and their all beginner to lower end intermediate kits and none were my original choices to begin with.

but once you have a couple of ideas of what you want, try asking again about those specific kits. the people here are very very knowledgeable and can school you on any kit under the sun no matter how old and how new and are very willing to help you make an informed decision.

There is no one best.

If there was, how could any other brand stay in business?

Besides, they're all round pieces of wood with a plastic head stretched over them. As long as the drum is made well with good materials, it's as good as any other similar drum. From there, what's better/best is purely subjective.

Ford and Brady. Next question.

I'm not gonna echo everyone else here, but I will ask a few questions.

What do you play? What are some sounds you like? Are looks important? How long do you want to have the kit?

Your question is sort of like "what is the best color and why?" You will get lots of opinions.

For me, I like the Gretsch USA Customs (1 up, 2 down). My style of music is roots. One factor that I would consider is how long you intend to keep your drums. A pro quality set will hold its value. If a pro quality set is not within your budget, then save a bit longer and look for a used kit.

Good luck

GJS

p.s. The "best color" would obviously be a Rosewood Gloss Lacquer (Nitro Cellulose Gloss Lacquer Finishes) on a set of USA Customs!

Mapex, because their drumsets feel like a million bucks without costing a million bucks.

Brought to you by Carl's Junior.

Why do you say that?

Because they pay me everytime I do. Gosh, for a smart guy, you're pretty dumb

Every major drum company has there cheap line. I think when you get to there pro level shell packs they all seem pretty similar. You can choose what wood what type of bearing edge you want and so on. Tama, Yamaha, D.W , Pearl , G.M.S , Ludwig and so on. They all make great drums. You don't choose drums they choose you ha ha.

Hi there,The lighting was dim, peering though my night vision gog's I saw that the drumkit consisted of four different colours . I thought...wow, I've never seen or heard a kit like this before. The player had managed to get the best possible tone that each individual drum would allow , and each drum sounded to the core....I caught a quiick glimpse and happen to notice thet the kit was a make up of four separate manufacturer's, nice to see them all getting together ......one for all....and all for one.

Lately, I have been jamming on a 5piece Gretsch Catalina Birch and the drums have so much balls. The toms sound great and the kick is probably the best I have ever used. And the snare? Dial it up really tight and it's a beast, seriously.

Personally I don't think there is a "Best" brand, it's all about player preferance.

I categorize drums by construction, straight shelled or re ringed.
There's way more choices of straight shells than re ringed shells.
Nothing wrong w/ the straight shell sound whatsoever, I just prefer the thin shell re ring sound. The manufacturer to me is secondary, all the majors make fine shells.

I do hear a difference in the construction types though.
Re ringed drums usually cost more, so if budget is a concern, a straight shell would be more affordable.

Plus, you have all the different woods to consider, then there's acrylic, and stainless steel....all of which sound great....so you really have to know what you want and have definite preferences. I'd say don't pull the trigger until you know EXACTLY what you want.

That being said, cymbals are the area where you shouldn't skimp. You can make a 300.00 drumset sound great, but a crap sounding cymbal will sound like crap forever.

If i had the money, i'd go straight for custom manufacturers.

DW, Truth, SJC, Shine etc. Then the 'best' kit is the one i choose for myself.

Having said that, i believe (just opinion here) that 70% of a drums sound is down to the heads, mainly the batter head, and the tuning of them. That's just me though.

The other 30% would be the shell. Be it acrylic, wood or hybrid.
The Depth of the drum.
And of course the player, the sticks they're using and genre they're playing etc.

Keeping that in mind, the main reason i'd want a custom kit is because it has custom looks.

xoxo

Back