WANT some snare buzz!

Mr.L

Alright, here's the lowdown.
I cut down a standard 20strand to a 14 strand, but I didn't like the sound of it so I switched back to a 20-strand. Love the sound on these new ones.

Except now there's no snare buzz on my toms (which is alright-ish, I guess), or my bass (which I actually really like).

Any suggestions? I don't like the sound of 42-strands in my room, so I don't know what to do. This is probably pretty strange, some dude asking how to GET snare buzz...

I like a bit of "dirt" from my snare too.
Try this, it works for me.
Make sure your wires are even, then tighten the bottom head, especially the 2 lugs on each side of the wires.
Then, slightly loosen the wires. Adjust them until you get the sound you want.

How tight would you say?
How about by the strainer/butt end?

How tight would you say?
How about by the strainer/butt end?

I have mine very tight, but try a bit at a time all around until you get what you want.
Very tight for you might not work for how you hit the drum, so just play around until you get what you're after.
The butt/strainer are the two lugs on each side I said I have a little tighter than the rest.

The top head can be adjusted too.
Start with all lugs the same tension, and then adjust till you get what you want.
It's not a "rule" that lugs have to be even all around the drum. Even tension gets the most clear/even tone from a drum, but if that's not the sound you want, start at "even" and go from there.

Good luck!

All right you guys!
Got it all tightened up around the butt end/strainer,
and 12-strand snares. Crazily, it all makes good amounts of snare buzz and my snare sounds phenomenal! Thanks a bunch!

Back