HELP! Buying used Pearl Export kit - how much should I pay?

tragedy214

I want to buy a drum set, and a friend of mine's dad has been looking to sell his kit for a while now. I don't know much about drums - I'm really a guitarist/recording artist looking for a kit so bands can use the drums at my house instead of having to bring their own set all the time. Of course I'll be banging on these from time to time to get used to drumming, learning a new instrument is always fun.

Anyway, it's a Pearl Export kit that's in pretty good condition. It comes with a snare, two toms and a floor tom, a high hat, bass drum, and two crash cymbals (one might be a ride cymbal? not sure). It's including the throne, bass pedal, stands, and everything else I'd need. I'm not sure what brand any of the cymbals are.

Here's a picture of the set: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/Bakid/Drums.jpg

I have no idea what price would be reasonable, let alone a price in my favor. I was simply told to "research the drums, get a price" and he'll consider it.

So how much is a reasonable price? What price can I get away with asking him so I won't have to pay too much? A decent price so he won't want to turn it down? I'm up for any advice at all!! THANK YOU!

Also, just so you know, my friend tells me his dad wanted to learn the drums but "stopped because he sucked". He's still attached to it though, because he still believes he might be able to be a musician. He's turned down other people's offers in the past because he still has hope.

This is gonna come down to the cymbals.....you'll need to find out what they are. The drums themselves (in that config.) look like they're going for a few hundred bucks on US ebay. So a total price will be determined by what the cymbals are....if they're pro level (they'll probably be worth more than the kit) and he'll want a lot more than if they're an entry line.

Like pocket said, The exports are not worth a lot on the used market.
They are a great kit that you can get for little cash outlay.
It is frequently the extras that come with an Export kit buy, That make the deal a real good one.
Often the cymbals and the hardware are worth considerably more than the drums.
That's the great thing about buying an Export kit.

The same is often true with the Pearl Forum.

Alright, I'm starting to understand. The drums themselves (bass, snare, toms) I could get for a few hundred - maybe $200-$300? - but the cymbals are a whole other issue.

The cymbals could be cheap, decent or pro status. They probably aren't anything professional, especially if these export series drums here are only a few hundred. Assuming he doesn't know much about cymbals, which I'm pretty positive he doesn't, I can convince him the cymbals are a certain price.

Thanks for the help so far guys, I really truly appreciate it. If you guys could lay down some prices for the drums alone, that would be amazing. Even an all-around average price for decent/below average cymbals would be great!

The average Export (just drums) kit is only worth about $300 in excellent condition.
Some drummers use them for gig kits and they sell some pretty good pies and hardware with the drums for a good price when they are finished with them.
They want to cash out and start with a new kit so they blow the old Export out for a good price.
Below average cymbals used are only worth about $100 US for a full set of Hats, Ride, Two crashes.

I consider the Exports and the Forums to be Workhorse kits.
They sound good and they can be lugged around and beat up at gigs.
You can always get parts for these drums when you need them. They are a gigging drummers dream.

If you guys could lay down some prices for the drums alone, that would be amazing. Even an all-around average price for decent/below average cymbals would be great!

Let the used market be your guide.....check ebay and take note of what similar drums in similar configs. are selling for and you'll get a fair idea. So far, your $200-300 seems to be about right, but given I'm on the other side of the world, I'm no expert on US pricing.

Cymbals are a whole 'nother animal.......you need to find out exactly what they are and guys here will be able to offer a lot more as far as accurate pricing is concerned.

"Cymbals are a whole 'nother animal.......you need to find out exactly what they are and guys here will be able to offer a lot more as far as accurate pricing is concerned. "

X2.....the ink on those hats looks very promising....lookey like a K?.......

I could be wrong but if you look at the hi-hat in the picture it almost looks like the butt end of the "K" symbol. If these Hi-Hats are Zildjian K then they are worth as much or even more than the drums. Export are no longer in production. They have been replaced by the Pearl "Vision" series. In Europe the Vision series retail on average between 750-900 euros.In my opinion the Vision series is superior to the the Export. It's considered a semi-pro kit. I reckon $300 would be avery fair price to pay an "attached" person because he will have to be reasonable. Kits like these are a dime a dozen.

The selling point of this kit could very well be the cymbals. You should find out what the cymbals are and post it back here. If the hats are zildian K (in good condition) and you end up paying $300 for the whole set up then I think you will have done very well. Remeber that you will definitely need to reskin this entire kit also. That will add a bit more onto the overall cost.

All in all the export is a nice drum kit which has endured time pretty well. They have been tried and tested probably more so than any other kit. Perfect for beginner-intermediate drummers. ;)

the ink on those hats looks very promising....lookey like a K?.......

I could be wrong but if you look at the hi-hat in the picture it almost looks like the butt end of the "K" symbol.

Agreed men, the limited glimpse and the lathing on the cymbals (especially the hats and that left crash), looks promising (at first glance, they don't immediately look like a ZBT, ZXT or ZHT)......but we all know looks can be deceiving, hey....hence the need to "get to the bottom" of the cymbal series.

OP, the fellas are right......you need to find out about the cymbals. With the limited perspective that we have, it's telling us they could be winners!

There's plenty of used equipment floating around. If you can get this kit for a good price, then great. If not, don't feel like you're married to it; the seller obviously has some attachment to them. Check out local craigslist in your area. It seems like there are always tons of Pearl starter kits just like this for sale. Also, if you're buying this so that other cats can come and use them, I wouldn't spend a lot on cymbals. You can provide the kit, but tell drummers to bring their own cymbals and snare. If this does happen to include a nice set of Zildjian K's, use them for your own 'private stock,' but remove them when other players are using the kit.

Based on craigslist prices here (Wash DC area) a complete kit (5 piece drums/cymbals/hardware/accessories) of Exports with cheap cymbals ala B8s or ZBTs often go for $500-600. The ones where people want more money seem to sell slower (I at all). Based on eBay prices, a set of K hats/crash/ride could easily be $400-600 or more, depending in the individual cymbals. And when looking at the prices of someone selling just the drums, don't forget that the rest of the hardware, i.e. throne, snare stand, HH stand, kick pedal, and other cymbal stands can cost a few hundred bucks. Also, that looks like an older set of drums that still has it's original heads. Don't forget to budget for new heads as well!

Assuming he doesn't know much about cymbals, which I'm pretty positive he doesn't, I can convince him the cymbals are a certain price.
I don't know that trying to scam a friend's father is really a classy way to proceed...

I like everything that BGH says as well. Exports aren't rare, don't get too hung up on this one set.

Back