Help me win a college scholarship!

If this were a social networking scholarship (or a WyzAnt scholarship for that matter) I would agree with you.
However, we're talking about a music scholarship here. Granted, social networking is a large part of the music biz nowadays and perhaps demonstrated skills in this area should at least be considered.
But to not even bother to read the essay based on votes alone??
Maybe we should apply this method of selection to all aspects of finding employment?
Imagine the time and money we'd save on reading worthless resumes and selection criteria when we can just put an essay online and wait for the votes to roll in?

What really shits me is that it looks like this kid is going to miss out on a scholarship just because he doesn't have enough facebook friends/ belong to enough forums and is not as well versed in manipulating social media as the competition.
Is he the best drummer/ the best candidate/ the hardest worker/ the most deserving? Who the hell cares??
He can't get enough votes, therefore he doesn't even deserve consideration. Yep, sounds totally fair to me.

I'm picking up what you're putting down, bro. I had a look at the criteria and it appears to be an open-ended scholarship. The recipient determines the study they wish to pursue. So not just music...this is where the OP would use it.

Another thing that is interesting is that the top 10 vote recipients are considered and 10 others to be determined by the judges after reading the essays. The OP may not get in with votes but may get in by the merits of the essay. Then the pool of 20 essays are judged and there are three winners. One gets $10000, another $3000 and another $2000.

Sorry but on my planet scholarships are for the talented and needy. (And, not or). Sure voting may be just 2 clicks, but by voting for one person just because he asked for it, you disadvantage others who may deserve it more.

Sorry but on my planet scholarships are for the talented and needy. (And, not or). Sure voting may be just 2 clicks, but by voting for one person just because he asked for it, you disadvantage others who may deserve it more.

Maybe if you took the time to read my essay, hear my playing or see my credentials you could say that. What's to say that i'm not talented AND (no "or", right?) needy? Judge if i'm talented, and based off of the thread link that i showed you from the original post, tell me if i'm needy. thanks

https://soundcloud.com/kyleboogie979/well-you-neednt

Edit: and yes this a sardonic post

JUST realized how many votes the first voter has- over 5,000. Hopeless cause to post here lol! Thank you for the support either way guys

Don't worry about that. Once he gets on the course we probably get a chance to vote him out anyway.
Oh, & I did give you my vote BTW, even though I too think this way of getting an education is ridiculous.
Simon Cowell has not only screwed the music industry, he's also fucked up the education system too. Way to go Cowell.

Another thing that is interesting is that the top 10 vote recipients are considered and 10 others to be determined by the judges after reading the essays. The OP may not get in with votes but may get in by the merits of the essay. Then the pool of 20 essays are judged and there are three winners. One gets $10000, another $3000 and another $2000.

This makes me feel a tad better about the whole process (they'll read the damn essays at least).
My only problem was that I was under the impression it all came down to the ridiculous voting system to even get a look in. That being said, all 20 essays should be selected on their merits alone IMO.

Simon Cowell has not only screwed the music industry, he's also fucked up the education system too. Way to go Cowell.

I can't even begin to dissect this statement.

Anyways, I voted for yours a little while ago. Hopefully the stars align for you. If it weren't for my parents' savings, I would be pretty screwed as far as college goes, even with the $34k in scholarships I'm getting from SMU. If it doesn't work out, basically all I hear about in the music scene today is how most dudes don't have a formal education in the stuff- so it's possible to go that route :)

Maybe if you took the time to read my essay, hear my playing or see my credentials you could say that. What's to say that i'm not talented AND (no "or", right?) needy? Judge if i'm talented, and based off of the thread link that i showed you from the original post, tell me if i'm needy. thanks

https://soundcloud.com/kyleboogie979/well-you-neednt

Edit: and yes this a sardonic post

I did not say you are not talented or needy. I have no clue whether you are needy. I did read your essay but anyone can write things. I am not saying you're a liar either, I'll spare you another sardonic reply, but I have no elements to judge. About talent, I would have to see where ou stand vs the other candidates. Why would we vote for you at the expense of someone else is the question. By voting we just change the order of the ranking. Sending money would be a real help.

I am a little sick of people and companies asking for my votes and likes to make money and never see me back. I help relatives and friends. They can be very new friends but friends.

That's what you're reading, not my intention.

Excuse me if I'm taking the judging/voting job seriously. Excuse me if my vote is hard to get. It's a matter of principle.

Excuse me if I'm taking the judging/voting job seriously. Excuse me if my vote is hard to get. It's a matter of principle.

Pico I know where you are coming from and I share similar beliefs/views on the process the OP is involved with. THAT said - I kinda look at this place as a weird (heavy emphasis on WEIRD) virtual "family". Everyone here has a common love for drumming and I have been helped by the "family" numerous times. I voted for the OP not because he was worthy, though he may be, and not because he is talented, though he may be. I voted for him because he is a drummer who asked me for a favor. If the competition posts a similar plea as the OP did I would also vote for her/him.

MM

I don't know, I just find it funny that two clicks on a virtual machine creates so much of an issue for you to even post in the first place.

So the question is do we sit here and debate and condemn the process or do we help a brother out? If all the participants asked for my vote I would just to give them a shot. TBH my opinion of any candidates talent is a moot point. It's about having a shot to be really judged. My judgement doesn't matter. Yea, I totally disagree with the process, it's stupid, but the larger issue is helping out a fellow drummer. So props to you Ben for doing what you have to, to fulfill your re-diculous criteria requirements.

Voted. 59 and counting.

Back