Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

It's entirely possible. Hopefully not through a banjo playing squeal like a pig sort of way! West side Maui here.

It's entirely possible. Hopefully not through a banjo playing squeal like a pig sort of way! West side Maui here.

Ah. Perhaps not then. We're North Shore, Oahu. I love going to Maui for an actual vacation - none of my family are there ;) Usually when I go to Oahu, by the time I've visited everybody it's time to go home - not really a vacation!

That is very cool Bo. I wasn't on DW 10 months ago so I would like to say I am very sorry for your loss. I lost my father in '90.
And with both of you parents playing ukulele. ..it almost seems as if it is a way of holding your mom and dad closer to your heart and with an instrument that is so expressive. Enjoy your new journey.

Steve

...Repeating Magenta, much more eloquently than I could have said it.

Cancer and loss does funny things to all of us, making small things seem big and big things seem small. I am fortunate enough to not have lost anyone to cancer, but my sister is 12 years in remission and my husband is going through treatment right now. It has changed my relationship with both of them, and the rest of the family.

And I thought a friend of mine was crazy spending $700 on an acoustic guitar made by Taylor that he couldn't play (which is really cheap, I guess). Well, I just spent $1500 on this ukulele.

I just spent close to $900 in two weeks on my kit, cymbals, and all the needed drum paraphenailia, and the only reason I had was because wanted to learn how to play. I think $1500 for something that is going to honor your dad, make your mom happy and draw your family closer is a great "deal".

** "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" is one of my all-time favorites. Its actually the only song on my mp3 that isn't some sub genre of rock. Can't wait to hear your version on youtube.

...Repeating Magenta, much more eloquently than I could have said it.

Cancer and loss does funny things to all of us, making small things seem big and big things seem small. I am fortunate enough to not have lost anyone to cancer, but my sister is 12 years in remission and my husband is going through treatment right now. It has changed my relationship with both of them, and the rest of the family.

And I thought a friend of mine was crazy spending $700 on an acoustic guitar made by Taylor that he couldn't play (which is really cheap, I guess). Well, I just spent $1500 on this ukulele.

I just spent close to $900 in two weeks on my kit, cymbals, and all the needed drum paraphenailia, and the only reason I had was because wanted to learn how to play. I think $1500 for something that is going to honor your dad, make your mom happy and draw your family closer is a great "deal".

** "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" is one of my all-time favorites. Its actually the only song on my mp3 that isn't some sub genre of rock. Can't wait to hear your version on youtube.

Thanks so much for the kind words. I've received my 'mega-ukulele' the other day and haven't really been able to put it down. Oddly enough, I've been going through my Beatles book ;)

Next up, there's a guy who's teaching how to play Jimi Hendrix's Wind Cries Mary, I'm jumping on that next. This just reinforces the fact of why I have expensive pro drums - playing is alot easier compared to my cheaper ukuleles now collecting dust.

Since this thread is on the subject ukuleles, I thought I'd post a few pictures of the new instrument. Of course, many of us have seen wonderful wood finishes on guitars, and we marvel at that look translating to a set of drums. But for some reason, I think I expect it on a string instrument, but not so much on drums. In the past I've had beautifully stained drums and they never stayed with me very long. I always felt they were too fragile and the inevitable scratch was just bound to happen sooner than later. With my aged, worn-in Ludwig thermagloss maples, I like that look, but nothing prettier, please. To see this quality of a finish on the unassuming ukulele is absolutely breathtaking, though. I hope you appreciate some fine koa wood here ;)

The picture of the headstock is actually koa wood inlaid into the mahogany - wouldn't it be cool if drum badges were done like this? Or using a mother-of-pearl inlay for the badge? I'm sure it would make the drum cost even more, but it is pretty. The body is solid koa, and the neck is mahogony, with an ebony fretboard. Not too much bling (you can certainly get it that way if you spend enough money, though).

Attachments

• Kanilea-front.jpg
    Kanilea-front.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 112
  • uke-back-koa.jpg
    uke-back-koa.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 120
  • inlaid-headstock.jpg
    inlaid-headstock.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 110
  • uke-label.jpg
    uke-label.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 110
Since this thread is on the subject ukuleles, I thought I'd post a few pictures of the new instrument.
Sorry I'm late to this thread Bo. I missed a ton of threads being away for much of last week/weekend.

First up, your story resonates very much with me, although there is no family musical connection to act as a catalyst. Placing a concentration on precious smiles from your mother is absolutely the thing to do. Treasure her, then treasure her again. You're a good man, & I'm honoured to "know" you.

Back to the uke - beautiful instrument. A lot of skill & love right there, but isn't it funny how us drummers can see $1500 worth of value in a stringed instrument, yet baulk at the same price tag on a snare drum. At the high end, similar skills, similar work, similar costs.

Wow Bo what a beautiful thread. I lost my Dad some 19 years ago and I still miss him and think of him often. I'm so sorry for your loss and kudos for your efforts with your Mom. After I lost my Dad my Mom lived with my wife, kids, and I for 4 years (she moved in with other siblings and now is at this Retirement home with folks from her age-she is so happy). We both often would sit and cry lamenting our loss. But as a word of encouragement now we still remember but now it is more a celebration-certain situations we always think of him and celebrate his life with a smile rather than tears. Music threads through my family too-even discovered my Dad played marching band snare-which I never knew. Actually there was a lot I didn't know about my Dad till his death-details of his service to our country, details of his rough early years and overcoming obstacles, and his great philanthropy (lots of letters from folks telling me of his huge heart and giving nature that really changed their lives). I was overwhelmed and wish I were half the man he was.

Music threads through my family too-even discovered my Dad played marching band snare-which I never knew. Actually there was a lot I didn't know about my Dad till his death-details of his service to our country, details of his rough early years and overcoming obstacles, and his great philanthropy (lots of letters from folks telling me of his huge heart and giving nature that really changed their lives). I was overwhelmed and wish I were half the man he was.

Yeah, it was strange to find out how cool my dad was during the after-funeral celebration. The whole day I was like "How come nobody ever told me?" I guess at a certain point, your parents become your parents and we (the kids) become the main focus. Myself, never having kids of my own will probably never understand that - I'm still selfish looking out for me I guess ;)

And yeah Andy, you're absolutely right. When I see a beautiful stringed instrument, the price doesn't surprise me. And I recall playing a beautiful Noble&Cooley snare drum back in the late 80s and proclaiming "yep - it's a snare drum folks!". It might be because from a young age those immortal words of Tony Williams stuck in my head when he said, and I paraphrase, "drums are cool, but they're not like other instruments being made by hand - they're made by machines". And for me back then, I couldn't really discern the difference between a single-ply steam bent shell lovingly crafted into a drum and one made out of a bunch of thin pies and glue bent and cooked into a shell.

In fact, when I saw the Drum Workshop video on how they make their drums, I was kinda' disappointed when I discovered that the pretty part is just the final outside ply. And of course, there's always the consideration of where those drums will be actually played - for me, not in many situations where they'd be respected and gawked at. My drums will likely suffer beer spills and bumps and bruises.

But I'm older now and I can tell the difference with what Guru and Craviotto and others are doing - but I'm still heavily influenced by the fact that guys like Steve Gadd can kick my a$$ playing a trash can lid, though ;)

Great story Bo! I've always been fascinated with the ukulele. Mark Twain sure knew a thing or two, didn't he? ;-p

Good luck with the uke.

BTW, when I was 13, I played at a luau. My good friend would do these luaus with the hula dancers, and he needed me to bring my floor tom. I had only had my kit for a few months. We got there early and worked out the beats. They had a guy who played the ukulele, and I really dug how it was a smaller version of a guitar. This was my first ever paying gig, got $20. :)

Last edited:
Back