Todd Sucherman here!

Hi Todd,

Greetings from Newcastle, UK.

I've been playing for years and years, probably as long as yourself!

I'm always on the look-out for the new drumming inspiration.

I've just come across your playing, via the publicity you received in Modern Drummer.

I immediately went out and bought the live Styx DVD.

The drumming is fantastic - busy, imaginative and tecnically challenging, but always for the song.

I'm looking forward to checking you out on the MD festival DVD when it comes out.

As for your solo DVD, I tried my local drum store and they reckoned they mightn't be able to get hold of it for some reason.

What are the plans for its distribution in the UK?

Best wishes...

Hey man,

Sorry for the brief reply----I'm staring at the pacific ocean here on the big island of Hawaii as I type....a few days of vacation after 4 gigs in 4 days on 4 islands.

We might be working a thing out with Alfred for distribution. MVD is currently handling it and I must say I'm underwhelmed by their performance. That being said, you can order it directly from us at Altitude Digital. Altitudedigital.com will ship it, same day, over to you in the UK. So--I hope you go through us and that it inspired cool ideas in your playing and thinking.

Off for dinner with friends---

Cheers--

Aloha and mahalo--

Todd

Todd,

Just got back after 2 weeks on the road but wanted to check in and say, killer job at the MD festival! Loved your playing and love that the "gong bass" has become a staple in your set-up. I brought one of my tama gong bass drums along with me on this past tour and although it takes up a lot of room, they just hit you where it counts!!

OK, when you get back from Hawaii order yourself a matching 6" masterworks tom. Every time I look at your kit I just want to see a 6" there. I had Tama make me 6", Starclassic maple, birch and bubinga toms because although limited in range, nothing cuts through like a 6"!!

You rock brother!!!

P@

Gongbass,

Thanks for the kind words, man! Glad you dug my segment at the fest.

You know, I've wanted a 6" originally but Pearl couldn't make an optimount for a 6" and I didn't want the telescoping hardware through the shell. I have a Sonor Rosewood kit with a 6" and my Ayotte had a 6" and I loved them. But you know what? My high 8"x7" just KILLS and projects more than a 6" would to be quite honest. It gets that Phil Collins "gock" with tone. So I'm quite content really.

OK, man. Thanks again for dropping me a note.

Finally home.

Todd

Hey Guys,

I forgot to mention---I have some clinics coming up. If anyone lives in these cities, please come out and say hello!

Oct 26th Clinic 2PM *Skins and Tins 29 main St.* Champaign, IL 61820 (217.352.3786)********
Oct 27th Clinic 7PM Kidder Music 2901 E. Lincoln Way Sterling, IL 61081 (815.622.7625)*
Oct 28th Clinic 7PM *S.S.E. Music* Inc 2609 George Street La Crosse, WI 54603 (608.781.2850)
Oct 30th Clinic 8PM Columbus Pro Percussion* 5052 N High St. Columbus, OH 43214(614.885.7372)
Nov 9th **Clinic 3PM **Weathers Music **2825 Commercial ST SE **Salem, OR 97302 (503-362-8708)
November 10th Clinic 7PM American Music 4450 Fremont Ave North Seattle, WA 98103 (206-633-1774)
Nov 17th *San Jose Pro Drum *820 Willow St # 200 San Jose, CA 95125 (408)*298-1999**

Hi Todd.

I know you were just in Orlando a couple weeks ago but are there any plans in the future to come to the Tampa Bay area for a clinic? Speaking of, how do the cities or stores for the clinics become chosen?

Hi Todd.

I know you were just in Orlando a couple weeks ago but are there any plans in the future to come to the Tampa Bay area for a clinic? Speaking of, how do the cities or stores for the clinics become chosen?

Todd,

My question exactly!?!?!?! I live in San Diego, San Jose is 471 miles from my lovely city and I would love it if we could have you down here...why is it cities like L.A. and others get all the good drummers showing up and the BEST city in CA never sees the talent here...I would love for you to hit the scene here...how does that happen? How do I become the promoter of such an event? I would love to see you along with a few others come into this city and give clinics!

That Guy and drumhead61,

Thanks for your questions. Here's how the clinic thing basically works:

Drummers really don't choose where they go to have a clinic. They have to be invited by the store/dealer to appear there. If I'm never invited by a store in Tampa or San Diego (or anywhere else) then I'll never come there.....because I can't invite myself, I have to be invited. The store/dealer has to carry Pearl/Sabian first off. Then the store contacts Pearl/Sabian and requests the clinic and the companies check on the artists availability. Budgets are worked out with clinician fee, airfare, hotel, and then the other companies (sticks, heads, mics) get involved. It's quite a process with involvement from many people. These events cost quite a bit of money as well, so it has to be worthwhile for the dealer and companies business wise.

drumhead61---if you are a Pearl/Sabian dealer, you could be the promoter of such an event. If you are not, it becomes increasingly difficult to get any sponsorship from the companies gear wise and dollar wise. The event would financially land entirely on you. That would be a financial burden for one to deal with all the gear, PA, space, fees, airfare, hotel, transportation, etc.

So that's that in a nutshell. Hope I've shed some light on the basics of the process!

Cheers-
Todd

Todd,

Thanks a lot for the information...that is of course the perfect answer and tells me what I need to start working on to make something like this happen...no fast fix for sure, but I have to "drum" up the interest here in the San Diego area. It is amazing to me how DEAD this community appears to be when it comes to events and such that represent drummers. It is the same when it comes to the issue of drum purchases...one is stuck with GC being the main source of supply and frankly it is a supply in need of overhaul!

Again, thank you Sir...I appreciate the time...now the planning begins :)

JIM

That Guy and drumhead61,

Thanks for your questions. Here's how the clinic thing basically works:

Drummers really don't choose where they go to have a clinic. They have to be invited by the store/dealer to appear there. If I'm never invited by a store in Tampa or San Diego (or anywhere else) then I'll never come there.....because I can't invite myself, I have to be invited. The store/dealer has to carry Pearl/Sabian first off. Then the store contacts Pearl/Sabian and requests the clinic and the companies check on the artists availability. Budgets are worked out with clinician fee, airfare, hotel, and then the other companies (sticks, heads, mics) get involved. It's quite a process with involvement from many people. These events cost quite a bit of money as well, so it has to be worthwhile for the dealer and companies business wise.

drumhead61---if you are a Pearl/Sabian dealer, you could be the promoter of such an event. If you are not, it becomes increasingly difficult to get any sponsorship from the companies gear wise and dollar wise. The event would financially land entirely on you. That would be a financial burden for one to deal with all the gear, PA, space, fees, airfare, hotel, transportation, etc.

So that's that in a nutshell. Hope I've shed some light on the basics of the process!

Cheers-
Todd

Yes, thank you for the info Todd. I won't be sponsoring any clinics probably in my lifetime so I can only maybe speak to some people I know at the local drum shops and hope and wait.

Hello Todd,
I'm looking forward to your clinic this Sunday in Champaign. Terry & Liz from Skins & Tins are great folks, should be a great time.

Hello again Todd,

I've been really enjoying watching the Styx DVD, One With Everything.

As I said in my last e-mail, fantastic drumming - right up my street, busy, creative and challenging.

At the end of Lorelei, you do a devasting quad-type fill, first descending, then ascending around the toms where you end up seeming to use one hand.

It sounds like something Simon Phillips might do.

Is this just a typical R hand - L hand - R foot - L foot quad - or is it something different?

Best wishes...

Leadfoot---cool. Hope you dig it. I'll be debuting a new track I received from Jerry Goodman that day. It goes from 15/8 to 4/4 to 7/4 to 17/8. See you there!

Supermac---the fills in question aren't quads at all. I go through different permutations of this fill and fills like it in the DVD. (Again, available worldwide from Altitudedigital.com) It's hard to explain it just typing....

It's 4 with the hands and 2 with the feet. But it's in 32 note triplets I think-- with the 4th note of the hands on the "1"---and the three previous notes are the pick up that begins on the "and" of 4. There are also triplets mixed in (conjunctions, as I explain in the dvd) that are R hand and 2 bass drums.

I hope that makes some sense! If you get the dvd and go through the 20 plus section on hand/foot double bass drum combos on disc 2, it should become clear.

Thanks again, guys--
Cheers!

Todd

Greetings from a deployed location in the middle east!

I can't tell you how much it means to have you participate here. Compared to snail mail and writing to MD, this is almost like being in the same room.

I have greatly enjoyed your work. You are a more than worthy successor to John Panozzo (RIP). I think you bring a sophisticated approach to playing, and have elevated Styx music in many ways. I look forward to your dvd when I get back to the USA.

I saw that you did shows in Washington with REO , and all I could do was live it vicariously through the overwhelmingly positive comments by my friends that attended.

This is my last deployment, so I intend to catch your show the next time through.

You rock!

Also Todd, to reiterate that last post, thanks for coming here & making yourself accesible for questions and discussions, it's very cool of you to do so & it speaks well of your character.

Also Todd, to reiterate that last post, thanks for coming here & making yourself accesible for questions and discussions, it's very cool of you to do so & it speaks well of your character.

Agreed! Todd, your presence here sure does boost morale for many of us. I constantly look forward to viewing your responses to our members questions, especially when you answer our personal ones. We sure do feel special when you take the time out of your busy schedule to do so. It's not everyday that we are able to associate with our favorite drummers.

Thanks always!

trkdrmr---thanks for your kind words. They are greatly appreciated and I hope you stay safe over there. My best to you, and make it home soon!

Leadfoot and That Guy--- I'm just a guy who plays drums---just like you and everyone else here. I'm happy to interact, answer questions, and pass on any information to whomever wants to hear it. I do appreciate the sentiments!

Off to do 4 clinics in the midwest. Come on out and say hi if you live in any of the places listed earlier in this post.

Cheers!
Todd

Todd when i first saw your video "Tears of Joy" that inspired me to play drums with heart.
your one of my favorite drummers and kept me playing with traditional grip. I got a few questions:

1) When are you coming to British columbia canada?

2) Can you do everything with traditional grip that you can do with matched?

in closing, your an amazing drummer and hope that i get to meet you one day.

Hey Todd,
Great clinic today in Champaign, very inspiring. I can hear my Sonors calling me into the drum room right now, it's good that my closest neighbor is a half mile away! It was great meeting you & btw, Taylor's album is great, thanks, Brian.
For those of you thinking of buying the Methods & Mechanics dvd, do it, it's great.

Hi Mr. Sucherman ,

I really enjoyed your dvd, just got it from altitude.

In the segment on your studio you mention having a rig that you want to use to record.

Can you possibly provide us with the gear you have (ie audio interface, preamp, compressors etc, mikes, mixer)

Thanks and looking forward to your next DVD!!!

Back