Hall of Fame

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
here are the latest:

Neil Diamond, Alice Cooper and Tom Waits lead the latest class to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Monday, joined by piano maestros Leon Russell and Dr. John and "Wall of Sound" singer Darlene Love.

Maybe it's just me but, Louis Armstrong is honored but The Moody Blues aren't ??

Rock-on Louis.

Well to me it's a farce anyway. It is supposed to be The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and yet the entire spectrum is allowed in from Louis Armstrong to rappers. Why not just call it the Music Hall of fame. There are no rockers in the Country Music Hall of Fame.

Maybe it's just me but, Louis Armstrong is honored but The Moody Blues aren't ??

Rock-on Louis.
Louis Armstrong for all practical purposes introduced and popularized syncopation into western music. Without that you have no rock. All anyone need do is listen to an American popular singer before Armstrong then five years after he arrived to see that none of this exists without him. Every single rock singer, guitarist etc was influenced by what Armstrong brought to the table. Rock, jazz and most any other American popular genre of the 20th century exists because he existed. He's that important.

That's all well and good from a musicological point of view perhaps. But I have to agree with G.D. on this one, that it's a farce. Call it rock and roll or call it something else and get to the point.

I'm baffled by thought that anyone is even remotely interested in this most vapid of institutions.

There is such a long list of worthy artists that haven't been inducted that contrast with the many lightweights who have, that it renders the whole thing utterly meaningless and laughable.

Nothing but contempt for the R&RHOF from this end.

I know that not everyone on this site likes Rush, and I know it's been said a bazillian and a half times already but, COME ON! Can ANYBODY provide a legitimate reason why they are not worthy? The Stooges are in but not Rush? What the hell?!

I'm baffled by thought that anyone is even remotely interested in this most vapid of institutions.

There is such a long list of worthy artists that haven't been inducted that contrast with the many lightweights who have, that it renders the whole thing utterly meaningless and laughable.

Nothing but contempt for the R&RHOF from this end.

This x 100.

The whole thing is a bad joke, controlled by one person who lets bands in based solely on personal whims.

That whole Hall of Fame is just a big farce. It's run by the same type of nitwits that write for Rolling Stone. They understand pop music and heart throbs but have no ear for true talent like Rush, Kansas, EL&P, King Crimson, Deep Purple, etc. How can they ever be considered serious by any true rock fans?

I was actually just offered to go to the hall over spring break. Even if i wasn't already going to New york, I'd turn that down. That place is an empty building.

The whole thing is a bad joke, controlled by one person who lets bands in based solely on personal whims.

Yup, couldn't have said it better myself.

I know that not everyone on this site likes Rush, and I know it's been said a bazillian and a half times already but, COME ON! Can ANYBODY provide a legitimate reason why they are not worthy? The Stooges are in but not Rush? What the hell?!

Larry Moe and Curly are in the HOF? That's proposterus!

That's all well and good from a musicological point of view perhaps. But I have to agree with G.D. on this one, that it's a farce. Call it rock and roll or call it something else and get to the point.
I just gave you the point and could not have been more clear. You were the one who made the bizarre Moody Blues/Armstrong comparison that I have no doubt would embarrass MB, because that crowd is smart enough and talented enough to know where it all originally came from...as did Lennon, Berry, Little Richard and scores of others who cited Armstrong as the reason they existed as musicians.

Musicological point of view? What does that mean? A factual explanation perhaps?

For those who actually want to know...The popular introduction of syncopation into 20th century American music was far and away the most significant audial transition of the past 100 years. If Armstrong doesn't make those Okeh recordings 90 years ago, so called rock music sounds entirely different. Rock singers sound like Broadway singers, Hendrix improvises with even accents like a classical guitarist, the introduction of blues within the context of popular song comes much later if it all, while the drum set is most likely unnecessary when all you would need for the alternative is a bass drum or a snare.

None of that has a thing to do with the fact that Armstrong was usually classified a jazz musician. In fact please name me one rock musician who did more for rock than that? Let me save you the time by informing that you won't find one regardless of how many hairs some may inevitably split.

It is for these reasons why Louis Armstrong rocks on on why it's always good for people to be aware of that? I'm sorry guys but deemphasizing Armstrong in a dismissive way isn't the way to go at any time. He's the trunk and roots of the whole tree.

Matt when I said get to the point, I was aiming that towards the guy who came up with the name of that place not you. Sorry for the confusion. Your posts are well written and educational. Thanks for the clarification.

Rock on...

I also find it funny that the Hall is in Cleveland, but not big enough to host the ceremony so they have to go to NY.

Matt when I said get to the point, I was aiming that towards the guy who came up with the name of that place not you. Sorry for the confusion. Your posts are well written and educational. Thanks for the clarification.

Rock on...
Thanks for straightening all that out Jeremy. You know how difficult it is sometimes to have discussions when you can't see the other guy's face. Sorry for my part in the confusion.

Later, Matt

Back