Lars Ulrich

Interesting. Lars must have lip-drummed in concert. I saw the guy play nearly every song off ...And Justice for All and he played them flawlessly.

The fact you read 'he can't play' is easily refuted by the knowledge that I saw him play those songs off ..And Justice For All and he certainly wasn't sloppy nor did he make a fool of himself.

I second this. Very true.

I listened to . and Justice for all several times when it came out in the eighties and really appreciated Lars for the excellent drumming, even though I was not inspired... .. Still love his playing through out the album synchronizing with the guitar.

The Dream Theater cover on YouTube is excellent as well.

I listened to . and Justice for all several times when it came out in the eighties and really appreciated Lars for the excellent drumming, even though I was not inspired... .. Still love his playing through out the album synchronizing with the guitar.

The Dream Theater cover on YouTube is excellent as well.

Hahaha, your not inspired by too many people eh? I always see that in your posts. No offence or anything, but just something I noticed.

Ahhhh the everlasting conversation about the guy. Well, I must say me seeing his double bass kit made me play drums more. He was a god for me until I found another bands. Bands which were waaay better and played better music (for me). So then I realized Lars isn't that special. I learned basics from listening him play. So thank you for that, Lars. Today, Lars sucks. Has a great feel, but totally sucks which is a shame because he has talent. Ahhhh what can you do? Not to buy Death magnetic, maybe? Of course. He started counting money and abandoned what he really should do: Creating music for music's sake. I can't listen to DM.

Rock on

Lars is one of the most famous drummers. Then more so then now.

But, personally i think he has the right ideas about drumming as some the dvd "some kind of monster" presents. But he goes about it all wrong.

but so does everybody else in that band. Not so much kirk, but yeah. He fits with that band is all I can say really.

Lars plays for the song and brings emotion and credibility to the intense music of early Metallica, there is no Metallica without Lars, sure he's no clinician - but he's still one helluva drummer who gets paid a lot more than we all do ;-)

Lars was one of my early inspirations, and i still respect his playing...

I use to always think Lars was an "ok" drummer but, I went to go see Metallica about two weeks ago in New Jersey and he had his drum set on a platform to rotate because it was center stage and it completely made me change my mind. I was watching his feet during one of the faster double bass songs and he was using his left foot for the double bass part and he was just using his right for accents. I never saw anyone do this. Man, now I think he's really good.

Ahhhh the everlasting conversation about the guy. Well, I must say me seeing his double bass kit made me play drums more. He was a god for me until I found another bands. Bands which were waaay better and played better music (for me). So then I realized Lars isn't that special. I learned basics from listening him play. So thank you for that, Lars. Today, Lars sucks. Has a great feel, but totally sucks which is a shame because he has talent. Ahhhh what can you do? Not to buy Death magnetic, maybe? Of course. He started counting money and abandoned what he really should do: Creating music for music's sake. I can't listen to DM.

Rock on

I would've agreed with you on that about a month ago. But, if you watch his left foot he plays most of the double bass stuff with his left foot and just uses hes right for accents. The best approach, no but, I must say I was impressed.

lars is solid, and the fact that he uses his double base in an odd manner makes me feel a little safer because, now I know it's alright to do that. His drumming was innovative for his time because no one really played like that. I dont think hes anything special, but i do agree he has talent.

Death Magnetic....the steady fast groove in "the day that never comes" is awsome!, I know I will have to go a long way to play like that, but his playing is so steady and never misses a beat. I listen to that song when I work out.

The drum sound is not good, blame it on the engineers!

Oh yeah, anyone ever notice that Lars used a ride cymbal on Kill 'Em All, and Ride the Lightning, and never used one again? With the exception of Welcome Home's intro and the breakdown of Disposable Heroes on Master of Puppets, he does not use it at all on any of the other albums.

- Marc

sorry if im wrong, but i think their song "bleeding me" has ride at the intro. o. it does.

lars is solid, and the fact that he uses his double base in an odd manner makes me feel a little safer because, now I know it's alright to do that. His drumming was innovative for his time because no one really played like that. I dont think hes anything special, but i do agree he has talent.

ya. i agree. some of his double bass sounds really different but cool. i don't like drummers who play 32'd notes on the bass the whole song.

Death Magnetic....the steady fast groove in "the day that never comes" is awsome!, I know I will have to go a long way to play like that, but his playing is so steady and never misses a beat. I listen to that song when I work out.

The drum sound is not good, blame it on the engineers!

Don't blame it on the engineers. Metallica actually co-produced the album with Rubin, so it's actually them to blame. If Rubin wasn't happy with the drum sound, it wouldn't have gotten through. Engineers tend to just do what they're told.

lars was one of my favorite drummers when i was comming up. his play very much inspired me back in the day. i just think that he should start practicing again to add fresh new things to his playing to keep it interesting.

Back