remo snare question

Jon B

hey guys! the question today is about the remo emperor x. I love my cs coated x, and i really like the tone i get, but im looking for a beefier, fatter sound, would the emperor x accomplish this? What kind of tone would it give in comparison to my cs coated x?

It's 2 x 10mil plies with a 5mil control sound dot. A very thick and focused head.....exceptionally dry sounding. I find them too thick and lifeless for most snare drums to be honest. Not sure I'd describe it as a "beefy" sound, but it will certainly crush any overtones if that's your goal.

You can temporarily get a beefier sound by just putting another head, upside down, on top of your snare and playing it that way. The pitch will drop and it will sound totally phat. Try it by taking a smaller diameter head (like a 13" if you have a 14" snare), and putting it on your drum. Then you can go back and forth between a nice cranked snare to a fat Al Jackson Jr. snare.

Or, try a Evans Hydraulic on your snare and tune it just above the wrinkles.

i don't think the emp x is necessarily the way to go. as was mentioned even though it's thick it's mostly just dry. what kind of snare is this we're talking about? and have you experimented with tuning and muffling? for me tuning down a 1/4 turn and adding a moongel generally gets me a fatter sound, but it all depends on how you want to accomplish that.

I put an Emperor X on Blacrolite last night. I was afraid it was going to be too much but I got a meaty rock tone out of it.I did have to crank it pretty tight to get any bite out of it,though. It's kind of Alex Van Halenish. It might become my regular head for that particular drum. IMO they are too thick for wooden drums. I've tried them on my Coliseums and it turned them into cardboard boxes.

what kind of snare is this we're talking about?
joey jordison signature, tuned very high currently
il try downtuning today and see if that helps, i like the ring and bite (not overtones, just good tones) but i want a little beefier sound from it

Back