How to destroy a 12/8 groove!

richkenyon

Silver Member
Ok, I'm being a bit flippant but one of the things I like most about the playalong tracks on the TD12 that I have is the fact it allows me to mess around with ideas that are difficult to perform with a band - either because you don't want to mess it up, or more likely because they wouldn't thank you for it!
There are ideas here that you can develop to performance standard however & maybe use if you have a solo in 12/8 or something - or perhaps if you're in a creative band like Mars Volta or suchlike.
No edits on the video so there are some sticky moments, but it's practice!

Would be interested to know if others use playalongs in the same way.

http://youtu.be/n4632hhAxLs

That was really quite tasty. I enjoyed where it felt like you stretched the time and then wound up back in meter. I also like playing all across the bar lines.

And yes, that would most likely get you fired! But it is great practice.

Sounds great.. nice punchy sound too and there don't seem to be mics everywhere. How did you get that sound, did you EQ/compress etc after recording?

Caroline

There were 4 mics: Kick / Snare & two condensers overhead. The overheads had the standard o/h EQ I use, which is basically a low-end roll off, and the other two channels have separate EQs and those had some compression too. I kind of wish I'd taken the time to put tom mics on too, but it was all a bit spur of the moment! Thanks for watching & glad you enjoyed it!

loved it! Great ideas, & I love playing across stuff as well, but never really get the opportunity. Loving the snare displacements!

Thanks so much. I do find I have all these ideas coming at me and 99% of the time have to shut them out!

That was really quite tasty. I enjoyed where it felt like you stretched the time and then wound up back in meter. I also like playing all across the bar lines.

And yes, that would most likely get you fired! But it is great practice.

Thanks for your remarks. The basic technique I used, which is just 3:2, is something I tap out all the time at home when bits on music are on TV are whatever. It's become a bit of a joke around the house!! But, layers of time are fascinating and I think this kind of practice is stimulating and I'm trying to integrate some of this into composition too.

Thanks again!

I love how relaxed and fluid you play.

That was FINE!!! Agree with Larry, you've got this deceptively casual style of playing.. I love it!

Yup. Your average cover band would get you fired in a heart beat and the singer with the tambourine would be all over the place and start at the wrong time because of you!!!!

I love how relaxed and fluid you play.

Thanks! Sometimes I think I'm not as relaxed as I look! But, it's my natural style I guess.

That was FINE!!! Agree with Larry, you've got this deceptively casual style of playing.. I love it!

Thanks for the kind comments.

Yup. Your average cover band would get you fired in a heart beat and the singer with the tambourine would be all over the place and start at the wrong time because of you!!!!

Haha.... well, singers playing sloppy tambourine is a pet hate of mine! Many seem to struggle to play with the most obvious beat!

Thanks to all for watching & commenting.

I loved your video.
I'm a big fan of tasteful metric modulation.
Unfortunately, most non-drummers can't hang with modulation in a band setting.
I busted out some 4 over 5 (we were actually playing in 5) in my jazz combo yesterday and completely lost the guitarist and bassist. The instructor, who's also my lesson teacher, just chuckled.

I loved your video.
I'm a big fan of tasteful metric modulation.
Unfortunately, most non-drummers can't hang with modulation in a band setting.
I busted out some 4 over 5 (we were actually playing in 5) in my jazz combo yesterday and completely lost the guitarist and bassist. The instructor, who's also my lesson teacher, just chuckled.

Thanks! Four over Five is one of my favourites! I don't often get the opportunity to use it and sometimes I would really have to work to hear the idea before I then execute it. I did use it on a track called "Funf" (which is all in five) on an album I did called "Something For The Week". It's like a twisted take on a motown groove, except the Four snare backbeats are against the Five pulse!

This stuff is too much fun to ignore haha! Thanks again.

Please please tell me what snare that is! It has the perfect crack and sound I have been searching for! Also what china crash are you using? Beautiful playing!

What sticking are you doing for those fills? Ahhh this is driving me nuts. Just the style of playing that I'm trying hard to emulate. I can't stop watching.

Last edited:
Please please tell me what snare that is! It has the perfect crack and sound I have been searching for! Also what china crash are you using? Beautiful playing!

What sticking are you doing for those fills? Ahhh this is driving me nuts. Just the style of playing that I'm trying hard to emulate. I can't stop watching.

Oh wow - thanks! It's nice to know I'm not just wasting my time!

The snare drum is a Sonor HiLite 14/7 Maple shell. They're no longer made but I am sure the ProLite or SQ2s will be the same or very similar. Rather unusually for me the drum has a coated Emperor batter head. That's what was on it when I bought it... I changed it to an Ambassador & went straight back to the Emperor. It's just right for that drum. In terms of sound it does have some EQ & compression on there & I play rim shots most of the time.

The China used is a 22" Zildjian Oriental - sadly they don't make it anymore!

Re fills - is there anything in particular you're looking at? There's quite a few different things in there.

Thanks for watching!

Back