There IS no one best brand. You choose what you like and/or what you can afford. I have 2 hi-hat/ride combo's: Istanbul Mehmet Turks. 15" hats and 20" ride. Hard to find plates. My other combo: Paiste ColorSound 5 red. 14" hats and 20" ride. Possibly harder to find than the Turks. Paiste produced them between 1983-86. Two extremes. Two completely different sounds. And by simply changing the hi-hat/ride combo, it's like having a whole 'nother drum kit to play on.

Just thought I'd like to see opionions.
Sabian, Zildjian, Paiste, or Meinl?
I vote Sabian of course

These are all great companies with superb products. Seriously, you can't say one is better than the other.

But if we're not talking seriously, I can say Zildjian is the best for music. Sabians make great trash can lids, Paistes make awesome bedpans if you plug the hole and Meinls are excellent for scraping paint and guano.

These are all great companies with superb products. Seriously, you can't say one is better than the other.

But if we're not talking seriously, I can say Zildjian is the best for music. Sabians make great trash can lids, Paistes make awesome bedpans if you plug the hole and Meinls are excellent for scraping paint and guano.

Paistes are actually great for baking pizzas, too. I'd recommend washing thoroughly between uses if you decide to use it for both.

For now, my vote goes to Sabian (HHX line). Paiste (sigs) will be a close second. As for Zildjians.. I've only owned their A customs & a K custom ride but I didnt really like them.

I mostly dig Zildjians, especially the older ones (50s, early 60s, late 70s, inparticular). I like the Armand series out of the new ones--not as bright as the rest of the Avedis line.

I started with Sabians and stuck with the "one brand" mentality for a while, but when I really started exploring, I found I liked the Zildjian sound better. I still like a lot of Sabians, though.

Never been fond of Meinl or Paiste, but I do have a Paiste 404 ride which is pretty cool. I also like their Giant Beat line, which I hope to get someday...

I also have dug cymbals with the following stamps; Amedia (vintage series), Zilco, Zenjian.

While i have Zildjian cymbals, from what I can see, the Agops are the most beautiful cymbals ever, and I've only heard good reviews about their sound. There's a drum store near where I live that sells Agops, so when I have enough money, I'll be sure to check out them.

Although this is all really a matter of opinion

I prefer, (drum roll please)...

Sabian Paragons!

big surprise, huh? ;-)

My favorites go:
Paiste
Istanbul
Bosphorus

I have Paiste 2002 crashes 16",18", A Sabian AA 21" ride, and a Zildjian New beat top hat on a Paiste Alpha bottom.

If I could get anything I think I would go with Zildjian K's, not the Customs just the K's they always sound great when I try them out in the store but wayyy to expensive for my wallet.

Zildjian Pitch Blacks. Duh.

Seriously what ever sounds good - I have a soft spot for Paiste and Sabian.

Sabian then Paiste then Meinl then Istanbul Agop then Zildjian then Bosphorus

i only have paiste pst3 but man they are awesome for the money (£165 and a free crash)
this would be my best cymbal setup
14"hhx groove hats
14"signature dark crisp hats
18"aax metal crash ----- 19"signature power crash
16"hhxplosion crash ----- 18"2002 power crash
18"aax dark crash -----18"RUDE wild crash
21"hhx raw bell ride ----- 24"RUDE mega power ride
8"hhx splash ------ 18"RUDE china
10"apx slpash ------ 10"2002 wild splash
10"aax splash ------- 15"2002 wild china
18" apx china ------ 8"signature splash
18"aax china ------ 8"signature bell
all sabian because there quilaty ------- all paiste because new ideas
is brilliant and price ------ and sounds

14"a custom mastersound hats
17"a custom projection crash
15"k custom hybrid crash
18" a custom fast crash
21" a custom projection ride
18" oriental china
16" oriental china
8" zill bell
all zildjian they are my best cymbals in the world!!!!!!

Sabian does it for me. HHX series cymbals are just so... aaahhh. So many colours to dig, and the artist lines are dynamite (Weckl's Evolutions/Legacies, Zoro's Grooves). Their other lines are deep as well; plenty of ace hand hammered cymbals to be found, AAX cymbals are great for a modern rock sound, and the Vault has some straight fantastic gear like Jojo's Fierce line, DeJohnette's Encores, tons of cool effects and the K-rivaling Artisan series..

as drummers we are spoiled rotten right now!
the great number of quality drums and cymbals allows us nearly unlimited choices of sounds and effects, we're very lucky!
as far as cymbals go, i hate the word best, but my favorites are made by Sabian!
good drumming!

as drummers we are spoiled rotten right now!
the great number of quality drums and cymbals allows us nearly unlimited choices of sounds and effects, we're very lucky!
as far as cymbals go, i hate the word best, but my favorites are made by Sabian!
good drumming!

Yes, unfortunately:
most good brands never get really mainstream.
Bosphorous is one that should get bigger, in my book.
And Meinl should be more Americanized.

Back