Kickport VS Drumport

TColumbia37

Silver Member
I've been wondering this for a while, and never thought to start a thread here, until somebody mentioned the Drumport to me on another thread. I would love to buy both just to try them out, but that isn't really an option for me right now.

Has anybody used both? Does one work better than the other?

I've been wondering this for a while, and never thought to start a thread here, until somebody mentioned the Drumport to me on another thread. I would love to buy both just to try them out, but that isn't really an option for me right now.

Has anybody used both? Does one work better than the other?

If you're not in the UK, shipping the DRUMPORT may be an issue also.

Hey TColumbia37, their are actually a LOT of differences between the kickport and drumport. The Drumport actually replaces the need for a resonant head (which saves you money). They fit the same way a resonant head goes on. Once it is tightened down it goes rigid so as to vibrate. The cone retracts about 8 inches inside the bass drum in the center. This means the point of impact of the bass drum pedal is accentuated causing a higher level of attack whilst maintaining the low end of the drum. This gives you a pre-eq'd sound, similar to the big band drum sound. Low end with a nice thump. You can have a tight head and felt beater for that vintage thump sound (without having to buy a resonant head and felts). Or you can have a near wrinkle head with patch and plastic beater and get that cd perfect metal click sound. It doesn't really make the drum louder, but disperses the sound better making it perfect for low volume situations. So it does all this for less than the price of a resonant head! How can you go wrong?! The kickport merely gives you a good aim for the microphone and slightly (no way near the level of the drumport) gives you some more low end. The effects of a kickport is really only heard on recordings and is quite minor, the drumports effects are immediate, and even more prominent on recordings.

Shipping outside the UK is no problem. If you are going to purchase one come to me first and I can get the info from Kirk for you.

I just want to know what people think of them.

Kickport? For sure and it works 100%. If you know anything about ported and unported subwoofer boxes for subwoofers then you know what the Kickport will do. Drumport? Same concept I suppose but ugly as a mo-fo. I don't think I would ever put something like that on the front of my set.

I'm sure it's a good product but I have to agree there. It looks totally ridiculous.

Not to mention the new ones with lights in them. I'd rather have attention from being a good drummer, than from having a crazy looking kick drum

Ah well, your the first guys that I have heard don't like it, at gigs it's generally well received. It has a great sound in my opinion, and if sound is more important than aesthetics (which it should be really, I mean come on if looks are more important your using your kit appearance to compensate for ability, that's bad), then get a drumport.

The Starclassic kit at the studio has a Kickport on it. I can tell the difference between it and my Reveille bass drum. We have excellent speakers there and you get some great bottom end from those things.

I think the clear Drumport looks cool with the lights in a dark room. I would try one out with my studio kit, but probably not for live shows unless I was so impressed that I couldn't go on without it. We play in a very low light setting at the studio and use stage lights with patterns, so this Drumport with the light would be a perfect addition to the ambiance, plus I'd get the benefit to the bass drum sound.

Ah well, your the first guys that I have heard don't like it, at gigs it's generally well received. It has a great sound in my opinion, and if sound is more important than aesthetics (which it should be really, I mean come on if looks are more important your using your kit appearance to compensate for ability, that's bad), then get a drumport.

Which couldn't be further from the truth. If I was relying on drum appearance I wouldn't of went with a plain white PDP X7 drum set, I would have went with a $5,000 one of a kind set from a well known company with an extremely exotic or flashy finish to re-learn or get back into drumming with. Also had I been more informed and knowledgeable about drumming a couple years ago I might of bought used, something like a 4 pc and of decent quality. I've learned it's not what you play on it's how you play it and what your creativity level is. Though because I wasn't aware of the many options, setups etc I tried to be as practical as possible and chose something that looked good to me, that had the best quality and that would be fun to jam on for some time to come. Considering I paid $699 for this X7 set new from Guitar Center, delivered from their warehouse I think I did quite well. Also are you not one to say that what your kit looks like helps to inspire you when you sit down to play? I know sound is a major factor but I am really hooked on the looks of drums and the incredible finishes these companies come up with and put on them.

I'm not sure how distinct, rare or praised of a sound comes from that drumport but honestly even if it did make my PDP bass drum sound like it was the king of all sets ever made I wouldn't put it on. I'm sure, especially if it was a prized piece in the studio for recording, that I wouldn't be smart not to have it but I honestly don't think it's the end all be all thing to have or use. TBH it may not even provide the type of sound I, the band if I was in one, or the tech would actually want to have.

Ive never cared for the appearance of my drums in honesty. Im fine using a jellybean of other kits if the need requires more toms and such. My bass drum is covered in scratches and dings and I could easily re finish or redo it, I just dont. It makes a fab sound, so who cares what it looks like. Its like the sonor pro-lites. I have never seen a more disgusting finish in my life but boy do they sound good.

Your last comment made the most sense, it really is down to if its the SOUND you want from your drums, you shouldn't let appearance lock you out of a purchase when it may just be that thing someone is looking for. Imo saying no to the product of your ideal sound is stupid, at least that is what I am trying to put across.

Ive never cared for the appearance of my drums in honesty. Im fine using a jellybean of other kits if the need requires more toms and such. My bass drum is covered in scratches and dings and I could easily re finish or redo it, I just dont. It makes a fab sound, so who cares what it looks like. Its like the sonor pro-lites. I have never seen a more disgusting finish in my life but boy do they sound good.

Your last comment made the most sense, it really is down to if its the SOUND you want from your drums, you shouldn't let appearance lock you out of a purchase when it may just be that thing someone is looking for. Imo saying no to the product of your ideal sound is stupid, at least that is what I am trying to put across.

Valid and respected points. In the end it's all what you dig. I lol'd at your Sonor comment cause if you meant the tribal finish, I too do not find the "tribal" finish that catchy. IMO it doesn't even look tribal. Though the rest are quite nice imo. I really like the cream white and especially the silver sparkle. That set just screams pro to me. Though this one really caught my eye...

EDIT: Although may not be a Pro Lite from the looks of the bass drum reso. Still though I think it's very sharp.

EDIT2: Added a Pro Lite finish....

52149833.jpg

49819816.jpg

Last edited:
Back