Fiberskyn or Coated Pinstripe

I'm beginning to plan out my next set of heads. I'm trying to go for a jazz/big band sound. I'm at a crossroads right now trying to decide between the classic jazzy calf sound and the fat/punchy big band sound. Any recommendations or personal experience with either would be greatly appreciated.

On a somewhat related note, has anyone heard any positive things about the tattoo heads? I'm planing on getting one of those or any head that might compliment my toms. Thanks.

I'm not sure what you mean by the 'classic jazz sound' or the 'fat/punchy big band sound' when during that era people were getting both of those kinds of tones with regular coated ambassadors (your only choice back then unless you were actually using real calf). When I listen to my Buddy Rich or Louie Bellson recordings (and many others) they all had that classic sound, and could also be fat and punchy. But in reality, you want it to ring a bit so it can project through a big band and actually sound like drums to the audience. Too fat and punchy and ten feet away they sound like cardboard boxes.

I think Aquarian Modern Vintage would be the way to go...tuned up high they have a bright "pop" without sounding as click-y as Fiberskyns do, but tuned lower they're warm and full. No matter how they're tuned they have a very pleasing tone that is versatile and responds well.

Consider Aquarian Modern Vintage Mediums. They might fit into that description. More open than a Pinstripe but still warm.

You might consider the Fiberskyn Powerstroke 3 Ambassador weight. I haven't tried them but they might be 'punchy' and not quite as dampened as Pinstripes would.

EDIT: I finished my post and found Winston already recommending the Modern Vintages. That's a good sign right? Also Bo Eder has a good point about the 'cardboard box' sound. A big wall of brass and woodwinds and you'll be just a bowl of thumps! LOL!

Also Bo Eder has a good point about the 'cardboard box' sound. A big wall of brass and woodwinds and you'll be just a bowl of thumps! LOL!

Yeah, that happened to me during the Dave Weckl-era in the 80s. I had my 8-10-and 13 toms tuned down low (because smaller was better back then) and went to play with my college big band and the drums absolutely sounded like crap. Like I was literally hitting a cardboard box! The director just kinda' gave me the eye and by next day I started using the schools kit that had ambassadors and larger sizes. Couldn't have been happier to have drums that sound like drums then ;)

Note to self: always tune for the music.

Yeah definitely no Pinstripes, especially if they're coated. I'd do like everyone has said and use either Fiberskyns or regular coated single ply heads. I personally prefer the G1 to the Ambassador, but everyone's taste is different.

Back