What do you use to move your drums? (Vehicle wise)

beatsMcGee

Pioneer Member
Okay Im talking cars/truck/suv's here.

I'm looking into getting something that is much more drum friendly then my Acura Integra, so i need ideas.

I love driving a 5 speed so it would be killer if I could get something that comes with a manual transmission. Also im looking for a used vehicle, nothing new and expensive.
Oh, and as always, good fuel economy is a HUGE plus.

So what do you have that has been good for moving your drums? What cars/truck/SUV's have what it takes?

Thanks!

I tend to drive one of my family's mid 90s Nissan pickup with a camper shell. I'm working on getting together a station wagon to replace my old wrecked car.

I've been thinking about switching cars as well. I think I might buy something small with good fuel economy that can tow a small trailer. Maybe a small Honda SUV or Toyota.

What's your budget?

I have a 6 year old Sante Fe that I can get all my necessary gear into the backseat and back and still have room for one passenger.

You could get an old van for a couple of grand and have all the room you need. You won't find a five speed van though.

I've been very pleased with my '93 Toyota T-100, which was the first 'small' truck with a full-size bed, and with almost 190k, it still runs like new.

I've considered what to replace it with when the time comes, and I'd definitely stick with a cargo-type vehicle for a few reasons. Loading drums is very easy (as opposed to weaseling them in/out of a sedan,) you can generally fit more things into a large open space (than the nooks & crannies of a sedan or minivan with seating,) and ease of moving other items (sofas, file cabinets, dog kennels, boxed items, etc.) is a real plus.

The only possible drawback on many models is that they're 2-seaters (and getting a 4-seat truck reduces cargo space, so that's not an option,) but we also have a Camry for taking friends around. But whenever I question whether to stick with a utility vehicle for my use, I always have to answer 'yes'.

Bermuda

My parents bring my 4 piece kit in either my mums Vauxhall Astra or my dads Renault Scenic (my bad if the spellings wrong). Hope I get a big enough car when I'm old enough to drive.

I've been very pleased with my '93 Toyota T-100, which was the first 'small' truck with a full-size bed, and with almost 190k, it still runs like new.

I've considered what to replace it with when the time comes, and I'd definitely stick with a cargo-type vehicle for a few reasons. Loading drums is very easy (as opposed to weaseling them in/out of a sedan,) you can generally fit more things into a large open space (than the nooks & crannies of a sedan or minivan with seating,) and ease of moving other items (sofas, file cabinets, dog kennels, boxed items, etc.) is a real plus.

The only possible drawback on many models is that they're 2-seaters (and getting a 4-seat truck reduces cargo space, so that's not an option,) but we also have a Camry for taking friends around. But whenever I question whether to stick with a utility vehicle for my use, I always have to answer 'yes'.

Bermuda

Yeah, I agree a truck probably is the best option. I just hesitate to do that because when you have a truck, everyone has a truck if you know what I mean......."Hey you have a truck right?...." FAVORS

Yeah, I agree a truck probably is the best option. I just hesitate to do that because when you have a truck, everyone has a truck if you know what I mean......."Hey you have a truck right?...." FAVORS

I've received more than a few lunches and tips for such favors. Better for me to have the truck than to rely on someone else when I need to move something big!

Bermuda

Either my 2004 Toyota Highlander (kit fits in perfectly thanks to the fold down seats), comfortable, all wheel drive (no weather worries) and gets pretty good fuel mileage.
OR 2001 Chrysler Town & Country minivan - with seats out can get the full drum kit, 2 keyboards, Marshall stack, PA system, 3 guitar cases and miscellaneous mike stands, etc.

Works for me!

The best vehicles I've owned to haul drums were VW vans. 1969, 1971 and 1972 were the three different years I owned, and the 71 had it all. Carrying capacity, amazing. They don't go very fast, but they have a "way cool" about them.​
Second on my list, the Toyota van. Amazing creature. Mine was carpetted everywhere, inside. Very drum friendly. Options include 5 speed and 4 wheel drive.​
Currently, I drive an Oldsmobile Cutlas wagon, 1994. Can't carry as much, but it drives like a car. V6 gives it "enough power" without copious fuel consumption properties.​

I use a Ford Fiesta 2010 and i've had no problems as long there isn't more than 1 extra person besides me in the car since my drum is a 7 piece set with 7 cymbals and i don't have a rack so i have a lot of stands =P.

Back seats down, it's really not that hard. I've managed to get a kit, three people and a guitar in there before.

I use my beautiful, squeaky clean, lettered and logo'ed white 2006 Ford E250 Ace Electric work van with the cool wheels, dark tinted glass, ventshades, mudflaps Triton V8, Sirius/XM satelite radio, Onstar Radio, CB, CD, AM, FM, DVD GPS, LoJack, Wireless Internet Access, EZPass, Roof Racks, 5 different types of Ladders, stocked with all the essential toolery and test equipment and roadside disaster emergency needs including a defribulater and dialysis machines to move my kit.

Dodge Grandcaravan.

Can fit a whole kit with room left over.

Really, I can't imagine being a drummer without a mini-van (unless you go all out on a full size van).

I favour a station wagon personally. I've got an '83 Toyota Corolla that still goes like a dream. Put the back seats down and I can fit my drums and a double bass in(which gives me an excuse to charge my bass player petrol money! hey!).

Whatever you get, it needs to be easy to slide stuff in and out, nothing smaller than a wagon for me.

Back