Practise drum kits. What do you recommend?

robertondrums

Hey everyone, Im interested in purchasing a practise drum kit. The reason for this is so that I can practise annoying patterns at anytime of day and night anywhere I want without annoying my family. My parents have never complained, after all I am in a sound proof room but they can hear it a little tiny bit in the house, but I just feel very conscience that I could be annoying them and this affects my practise. I would like a 5 peice practise kit but Im not fussed. Somthing that can be folded and transported.

My questions to you drummers is: What practise kits do you recommend?

Thanks for your time.
Robertondrums

i know this probably isn't what you're thinking of, but an electronic kit is the ultimate practice tool, if you can afford it.

Hey everyone, Im interested in purchasing a practise drum kit. The reason for this is so that I can practise annoying patterns at anytime of day and night anywhere I want without annoying my family. My parents have never complained, after all I am in a sound proof room but they can hear it a little tiny bit in the house, but I just feel very conscience that I could be annoying them and this affects my practise. I would like a 5 peice practise kit but Im not fussed. Somthing that can be folded and transported.

My questions to you drummers is: What practise kits do you recommend?

Thanks for your time.
Robertondrums

that dw practice pad kit seems cool. check it out. it's under $200 for sure.

I have a set of Pacific Chameleon drums. There is a real head on one side. If you flip the drum over, you can use the mesh head for quiet practice. I like it better than the Pearl Rhythm Traveler because you don't need to change heads to go between practice and performance. I don't think they sell the Chameleon anymore, but you can keep an eye out for used models.

20127dru.jpg

Jeff

Thanks a lot guys for the info. Its much appreciated. I will check some of these kits out. I'm really looking for somthing like the practise kit featured on Thomas Langs DVD. However the one he uses by Remo I've found to be quoted at a rediculus price. Some over £600. So if anyone knows of any practise kits like that one and a lot cheaper please let me know.

Thanks a lot

Robertondrums

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Traps-Drums-A400-Portable-Acoustic-Drum-Set-491112-i1385705.gc

I've heard that this is a really convenient setup for if your ever on the road or having quick little rehearsals because of its ability to fold up and put back together so easily. I was actually at one time going to purchase it to keep at my parents house for whenever I go over there to visit. Either this or a cheap electric set i think will still fit your purpose tho.

attachment.php

I use that. The bass pad could feel a little more realistic and the positioning could be made better but it's quiet and hasn't fallen apart so can't really complain :)

Cost about £100 I think.

attachment.php

I use that. The bass pad could feel a little more realistic and the positioning could be made better but it's quiet and hasn't fallen apart so can't really complain :)

Cost about £100 I think.
What is "That" and Who makes "That" Please elaborate further.

I have a set of Pacific Chameleon drums. There is a real head on one side. If you flip the drum over, you can use the mesh head for quiet practice. I like it better than the Pearl Rhythm Traveler because you don't need to change heads to go between practice and performance. I don't think they sell the Chameleon anymore, but you can keep an eye out for used models.

20127dru.jpg

Jeff
I was thinking about buying hoops and lugs for the bottom of the toms on my Rhythm Traveler. Putting the mesh heads on the bottom of the Travelers toms and making a Chameleon.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Traps-Drums-A400-Portable-Acoustic-Drum-Set-491112-i1385705.gc

I've heard that this is a really convenient setup for if your ever on the road or having quick little rehearsals because of its ability to fold up and put back together so easily. I was actually at one time going to purchase it to keep at my parents house for whenever I go over there to visit. Either this or a cheap electric set i think will still fit your purpose tho.
The traps drums are heavy and the bass drum doesn't sound very good. The snare sounds good. The toms on the Traveler were slightly better than the traps. I would check the Traps out and play them before I bought them. I played them side by side with The Rhythm Traveler and I was able to get a good comparison.

Last edited:
I was thinking about buying hoops and lugs for the bottom of the toms on my Rhythm Traveler. Putting the mesh heads on the bottom of the Travelers toms and making a Chameleon.

That's an interesting idea. I wonder how the mesh heads will affect the sound when in "gig mode"? I have a Gig Traveller kit on order and I'm not buying mesh heads because changing over between rehearsals/gigs and home sounds like a real pain.

For now I'll stick with my single pad and, if need be, get mutes (as per Boomstick's comment).

Haha, sorry, completely forgot to say it's a Drum Workshop "Go Anywhere" practice kit.

Thank you :)

I have that DW practice kit and I love it. I used to own the Remo kit but this one is much quieter.On a side note, my brother in law took the Remo kit apart, added electronic triggers and made an awesome electronic kit out of it. The plans for that were online someplace.

That's an interesting idea. I wonder how the mesh heads will affect the sound when in "gig mode"? I have a Gig Traveller kit on order and I'm not buying mesh heads because changing over between rehearsals/gigs and home sounds like a real pain.

For now I'll stick with my single pad and, if need be, get mutes (as per Boomstick's comment).
I haven't decided if I'm going to do it for sure yet. I imagine that the mesh heads wouldn't make much difference. They may even act a bit like resos and give a little more sound to the toms. I'll put a mesh head on the front of the bass drum one of these days when I have some time and experiment a bit.

Thanks so much everyone for the comments they are really helpful. I'm particulaly interested in the DW practise kit. looks interesting, cheap and easy to set up. I'm even thinking of using such a practise kit for teaching with. That would be interesting and a novel idea. Thanks for all these comments it is much appreciated.

Robertondrums

Back