Thread: The valleys ?
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 07:22 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: The valleys ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
... once I stopped trying to "be a musician" I found out I was much happier with life. At some point I realized I AM a musician - it's a part of who I am, whether I make my primary living that way or not.
Me too. Once I lost my illusions of actually being paid to play music I'm free to just be myself on the drums. If I relied on music for money I'd be expert at cockroach recipes - stir fried roach garnished with carpet fluff, rat salad garnished with crispy fried roach legs ... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Staying the course while being beaten down by your own limitations, or quitting on some things and coming to terms with that.
Absotively. First awakening was in 1980 when I made a step up. I eliminated a lot of half digested licks. Then in 1985 I was in a very tight band where no one was prone to errors or gear malfunctions. I needed to tidy up further. Once I tweezed my beats and licks to a point where I could play the songs note for note every time I was shocked to see how few things I could play without risk. Big reality check.

Still, I was raised in a waste-not-want-not household with few luxuries. I came to pride myself in being resourceful, to make the most from the least. So, strangely, being a very limited player suits my personality. Give me all the best gear and I don't know what to do with it. I'm much better at coaxing music out of a second rate kit than having the vision to build an expansive kit, playing extravagant music.

Abe, do you have a tale?