Yamaha CS 755 weight?

Sorry to keep pestering about this, but I have searched and searched and can't find this info ... no stores around me carry Yamaha gear and the only known weight list is pretty far out of date.

Does anybody know the weight of the CS755? It's a single-braced boom stand.

If it helps, I'm mainly comparing it against a DW 3000 double-braced boom stand, which I own, and which is relatively light. The DW is nice and sturdy but I have to order a new stand and I would like to get the lightest one possible (as long as I'm not sacrificing sturdiness - I'm hanging a tom off this stand as well).

Thanks!

I don't know how accurate this is but I just weighed one of mine on a bathroom scale. Reads 7 lbs.
These are plenty sturdy to hang a tom.

I have one and will weigh it tonight on a kitchen scale I bought to weigh my cymbals. I'll send myself a reminder and report back this evening.

Chris

Amazon has the shipping weight as 12.7 pounds. However, It would most likely be less and drumdevil9's 7 pounds, is probably closer to reality.

The 7-8 pound estimates sound about right. The 755 is a very sturdy stand and I have an 18" crash on one (the boom is tucked into the stand, so it is really just a straight stand for me) with a 12" tom hanging off of the side via an adapter. As with any cymbal stand mounted tom, as long as the legs are extended far enough and one leg is below the tom, then this is just as sturdy as the heaviest double-braced stand out there, at half the weight.

I don't have a weight handy, so I'll defer to the others in that regard, but the stands are plenty sturdy. Here's a pic of my setup with a 10" tom, a 12" tom, and an 18" Crash on one. The legs aren't spread ridiculously wide and the stand is solid as a rock:

IMG_2273 by ASH556, on Flickr

IMG_2261 by ASH556, on Flickr

Here are the weights of some Yamaha stands I own. :)

Yamaha CS755 Boom Stand 3641g (8lbs)
Yamaha CS650A Straight Stand 2479g
Yamaha HS740A Hi-Hat Stand 3586g
Yamaha SS740A Snare Stand 2585g

Thanks for the replies! I weighed my DW 3700 boom stand and got a little over 9 lbs, and a DW rep replied telling me the 'official' weight is 9 lbs. So only a 1-lb difference between the single-braced Yamaha and the double-braced DW, how weird.

@SgtThump: your hi-hat stand weighs less than your boom stand? Crazy talk. My Pearl 900 hat stand (a great low-budget stand) weighs in at 13 lbs! Guess that makes the Yamaha a must-have for back saving.

Thanks for the replies! I weighed my DW 3700 boom stand and got a little over 9 lbs, and a DW rep replied telling me the 'official' weight is 9 lbs. So only a 1-lb difference between the single-braced Yamaha and the double-braced DW, how weird.

@SgtThump: your hi-hat stand weighs less than your boom stand? Crazy talk. My Pearl 900 hat stand (a great low-budget stand) weighs in at 13 lbs! Guess that makes the Yamaha a must-have for back saving.

I was kinda surprised by the weights too, but yeah, that Yamaha boom stand isn't all that lightweight! Glad I could help.

So you guys have managed to sell me on Yamaha for some new stands but can someone explain what exactly is the difference between the CS-655 and CS-755 boom stands?
I thought it was the hideaway boom but I read that the 600 has that too, so how are they different?

If anybody knows an online retailer with good prices on Yamaha hardware, shoot me a PM.

So you guys have managed to sell me on Yamaha for some new stands but can someone explain what exactly is the difference between the CS-655 and CS-755 boom stands?
I thought it was the hideaway boom but I read that the 600 has that too, so how are they different?

If anybody knows an online retailer with good prices on Yamaha hardware, shoot me a PM.

I don't have a 600 series boom stand, but in general, a main difference between the 600 and 700 series seems to be smaller diameter tubes (and lighter weight) on the 600 stuff.

I don't have a 600 series boom stand, but in general, a main difference between the 600 and 700 series seems to be smaller diameter tubes (and lighter weight) on the 600 stuff.

The hideaway tilter on the 600 is different too. The 700 series has separate adjustments for the angle and boom extension adjustment. Meanwhile, the 600 only has one adjustment for both, therefore it's a little sloppier.

I have a mix of 755s and 655s, the 600 series do have significantly smaller tubes to them. The 600 series is also a bit shorter than the 700 as well.

The boom arm adjustments on both are functionally the same, the difference is the 700 series is beefier.

Hey guys,
I just snagged a bunch of 755's from the warehouse sale at Musicians Friend.
Saved enough to grab a 740 HH stand too!
(Just in case anyone else was thinking of getting these)

I already own mostly light, single braced hardware. Still, I calculated that if I replaced all my stands with Yamaha 600 and 700 models (only straight stands, no boom), I could shave off 2,5kg from the total weight. Deduct another half a kilo by replacing my Gibraltar throne base with the single braced equivalent and I'd have reduced the total weight from about 27,5kg to 24,5kg. That makes a difference when everything is stored in one single hardcase. I can't practice at home, I have to transport my kit to a studio each time I want to play.

I tried out my 21" ride on a 600 series straight stand and it was sturdy enough.
The common, unfounded fear is that lighter stands risk toppling over when you put bigger cymbals on them. The only way that's going to happen is if you extend the stand to full height, mount a very heavy 20" cymbal and tighten it down with the nut and some very hard felt so that it's as rigid as possible, then hit it as hard as possible with the biggest sticks you can find. Even then, I doubt that the stand would actually fall over. But who plays like that anyway?

Drummers of the world, rise up against heavy duty hardware!

OK, getting a wee bit carried away here...

Back