Emad vs powerstroke pro vs superkick

As an Evans user, I'll say the EMAD or GMAD (actually like it a little better than EMAD)....but honestly you probably won't go wrong with any of them...

Best is subjective. Get ready for many votes for each in the next 20 answers.

PS3 and you're done.

My reso is a ps3 from mapex. I have tuned them but its still too boomy. I also am playimg 16th notes at 200 bpm and up so my bass drums need to be a little muffled.

The Emad and Superkick are quite similar in sound. They have a similar feel and attack. You can't go wrong with either one.

They pair up real nice with the Aquarian regulator reso.

My reso is a ps3 from mapex. I have tuned them but its still too boomy. I also am playimg 16th notes at 200 bpm and up so my bass drums need to be a little muffled.

I see. Looking for mostly attack, thud and very little resonance I guess.
Yep, Superkick. To my ears, its a very dampened head.

I vote for the EMAD. I have one on my 22" bass drum (with an EQ1 on the front), and it sounds quite good. All of the choices will sound good though. Peace and goodwill.

For the genres I play, I like the Evans EQ4 and Remo Powerstroke 3 batter heads. They still let your drums sound like drums, in my opinion.

Dennis

For what it's worth: I use an Evans EQ3 on the batter side, and a Fiberskyn Powerstroke 3 on the resonate side. I have a felt strip under both heads, no holes, no pillow. Both heads are tuned about as low as they can go while still producing a note.

It's the only drum I have where I'm always satisfied with the sound. It's a nice full bass sound with very quick decay. It's not a thud (which I don't like) but it's not overly boomy either (although that is subjective).

Hard to beat an SK1 with a ported regulator front head especially when music123 sell them as a package including both heads, a double beater patch and free shipping for $62.

Then take the pillow *out* and tune the heads. Its all about tuning. What's your reso?

Any of the other three heads is not your answer. Save yourself some money.

While I do use a cut-down Evans muffling pad very lightly touching my batter head on my PS3, I agree with this... had a GMAD before. The ring rattled on mine and the head is insanely limited by the plastic and muffling. Same with Powerstroke Pro- limited and I was unable to get a really full sound out of it. I had good results with a Super-Kick II, but that was on a CB kit. The PS3 is the way to go for anything, as far as I'm concerned. MAYBE a PS4 if you're playing really "rock n roll" type stuff.

I have had all three on various kits at various points. I don't have a PowerStroke handy at the moment but I'm planning to buy an EQ3 which is similar. The PS I had before was on a 20" Pearl Session. At the time I thought it was too boomy and put a SKII which worked great. Then I got a Masters Custom Maple 22" The SK I got for that sounded really dead and papery tuned JAW. I put an EMAD on there and it was great with the small ring and a vented EQ on the front. The large ring was as dead as the SK. I later got a PDP Cx Maple which was pretty close to the same with either. The EMAD without any foam ring was the best by a small margin. Those got traded for the Renowns I have now which came with an EMAD. Nothing I did with the EMAD made me happy. I put the SK on it and instant Chad Smith. Lately I've been tuning the batter up higher to get some boom in small rooms where there isn't a kick mic. Thus the desire for a livelier head like a PS or EQ.

Unfortunately, I don't know what it was about each drum that made it work better with one or the other head. Since I saved heads from earlier kits, I can try different combinations (I also have a regulator laying around but like the more open EQ3 better). There really is no other way than to spend the bucks and try them. Save the ones you don't like though, because they may be just the ticket for your next kit.

I recommend Remo Powerstroke Pro (I use clear). Even better with a bit of pillow (not too much).
Cheaper alternative I'd say Evans EMAD

I recommend Remo Powerstroke Pro (I use clear). Even better with a bit of pillow (not too much).
Cheaper alternative I'd say Evans EMAD

I'd warn you about putting stuff in your kick drum it kills the amount of volume you get from the drum.

Back