Has Anyone Seen Stan (Steamer)

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Since we had a, "Has Anyone Seen deltadrummer" thread.
I decided to have a, "Has Anyone seen Steamer" Thread.
Stan, Are you out there?
I, We, all miss you.

Stan is an inspiring poster. I read a lot of the old threads on here and his stuff has been a real education and his playing so superb to listen to. Hope you're well Stan!

You don't think that the Aliens kidnaped him do ya?
Perhaps they needed someone to teach jazz drumming on their planet.

Stan and I used to talk a lot via pm...and a while back I recall him planning an extended forum break. He is a serious professional musician who for 30 years has made his living entirely from drumming. I think he just had other things he needed to be doing and was probably tired of being called a snob by a handful who obviously didn't appreciate his 99% dead on perspective. I know he was trolled a lot and felt very frustrated about seldom being able to have reasonable discussions. ..especially when it came to jazz.

I could be wrong but that's my take. I also think he will probably come back when he's ready. He's a good guy and an excellent resource. I have a lot of respect for anyone who can do it for real that long and on that very high level. He's one of those people who has spent most of his career in the shadows making others look and sound good. Much respect.

I agree with Matt's post here. Stan did come back a couple of weeks ago to post some gig pic's. Post #357 http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42307

Although Stan's appreciation of his craft is way beyond my rock/pop brain comprehension, I've had a few conversations with him that I found to be most insightful & useful to me. He had time for me, even though he knows I don't "get it". I think that's a measure of the man's humility & sense of fellow player empathy. A snob, he certainly is not! He's passionate about his music, yet the occasional transient dickhead takes that as being elitist.

I miss your wizedom Mr. nuance!

I'm humbled just checking in on the forum to come across the kind comments found on this thread....thanks everyone!

As Andy pointed out in my recent post I'd mentioned my forum break this year to focus on stuff in the flesh.

I've had a very busy run with various projects both in the studio and for live shows this year. Most recently had some nice concerts with 3 different groups performing original acoustic based jazz music at the Vancouver International Jazz Fest. Directly followed this with a week of performance/teaching and drum master classes at the South Delta Jazz Workshop. This was followed up by a couple a recording projects on the burner to complete. One involved several of my fellow faculty from the SDJW playing the music in particular of alto player and composer Len Aruliah from London, England. The other was a large project involving laying down bed tracks over several nights in the studio of original arrangements with a small group first and then later adding other instruments and and a vocal ensemble into the mix. We performed a version of the final music project with everyone in the same room yesterday in concert...went really well!

Getting back to Len he was asked well in town by the camp director to write nonet arrangements of his originals to be performed for the big wrap up concert for the SDJW camp and festival. That concert was recorded in hi-res video/audio but have not seen anything yet to share. A smaller version of the group with Len has about 2 1/2 hours in the can of Len's and others in the group originals combined with some very cool on the spot open improv's from our 2 days in the studio. Again haven't heard any of it yet so nothing to share folks....

One more recording session tomorrow for the new trio i'm in called Synergy {trombone/electric bass/drums} which performed a couple of sets of its originals at the recent Vancouver Jazz Fest.

A nice summer break in order after that :}..... speaking of which i'm very excited in seeing a major show of Surrealist art and objects at the Vancouver Art Gallery. Largest collection of its kind ever brought into Canada. For those who don't know visual art particularly the works of the Surrealist is my other great love and passion in life...

I think we're all caught up now and here's hoping everyone is having a great summer!

P.S. A repost of two pics taken during the bass/drum duet piece at Rob Kohler's {bass player from LA} noon hour concert during the jazz camp:

Attachments

• 1.bmp
    176.7 KB · Views: 338
  • 2.bmp
    176.7 KB · Views: 348
Oh, So the Aliens didn't kidnap you! LOL
Sounds like you have been hard at it and having fun.
Glad to hear it Stan.
Good to hear from you.

Oh, So the Aliens didn't kidnap you! LOL
Sounds like you have been hard at it and having fun.
Glad to hear it Stan.
Good to hear from you.

Thanks Bob and nice to see other folks i've had good chats with on the forum checking in on me.......

By the way I see Matt's back in the US now ... watch out folks and expect to hear great things {about him} to follow is my prediction....

Thanks Bob and nice to see other folks i've had good chats with on the forum checking in on me.......

By the way I see Matt's back in the US now ... watch out folks and expect to hear great things {about him} to follow is my prediction....
Thanks Stan. Hope you're right. After two weeks back it's all still a confusing jumble lol.

Good to have you back Stan.

I also have a prediction, "bugger all in the way of great things will be heard of me". That way, I stand a minuscule chance of exceeding my expectations!

Hi Stan,

Good to see you are well.

I used to e mail Stan after he was not on the boards for a few days or a week. And he would always regal me with all the exciting things he was doing. Then I would joke about that. "I haven't seen you so you must be doing some exciting things. " And as we can see, such is always the case.

Yes, Stan is a pillar here, as are you Ken and we need our pillars. When they go away, it's noticeable.

Looks like I need to catch up but it's nice to hear from some of the folks i've met here.

Speaking of which........

You're welcome Matt and once you've shaken off the travel dust we're all watching to see what {musical} adventures come your way next....more news to follow folks.

Thanks again Bob and I like the kit shown in your sig....sweet!

I hear you Andy but no need to be too humble but I understand the thought behind what you said...we all feel that way at times no matter where we are in are journey when everything is constantly under the microscope in public view. Hiding away and just enjoying what we do with folks in the flesh is sometimes the best course of action without the weight of certain outside "influences" and "expectations" in the mix. Always has to be fun being #1.....

Nice to to see you Ken :} Ken and I for the record {Matt too} have had some truly indepth exchanges to get down to the core of things on jazz and jazz drummers here in the past. In the end both involved came away with a new way at looking at the same thing with a understanding to always consider the other man's {or women's} point of view. This is how you stay humble as a musician to keep a open mind to learn i've been taught in life.

Thanks Larry. I've always found you're straight up grounded wisdom for where you see things from your honest perspective to be ever refreshing around here.

Also thanks for the other folks who chimed in earlier in the thread to check up on some of us long time DW "regulars" are doing. Now off to do some more recording.....

Hello Stan!

"Ata" of all Istanbul Agop... :) is good to have you around again, you are such an inspiration!

Best Regards,

Ian

Back