Playing rock with an 18" bass drum: what heads would you use?

Cozy

I think all the better heads would sound fine on an 14X18 maple bass drum, but which would have the most sheer volume for playing in smaller unmiked situations? And what about on the reso side? I've never used an 18 before and just happened to get a small kit so I'd like some advice rather than having to buy 3-4 different bass heads.

I use an SK II on my 14x18 for rock. I tune it tight.
I use a Tama Starclassic logo head for a reso with a small 3 inch port.
It works for me.

I use an SK II on my 14x18 for rock. I tune it tight.
I use a Tama Starclassic logo head for a reso with a small 3 inch port.
It works for me.

Sk2 is a great head from a great co. Personally I prefer the sk1 for my 22x17. Playing unmiked you may want to consider a more open head like a ps3, I think the sk1 may be slightly more muffled than a ps3. On the reso I recommend an ambassador ebony. These heads will sound open have attack and volume.

You want it loud - I would recommend regular ambassadors front and back. For an example, listen to the Jaco Pastorius Big Band album from 1983 - that's Peter Erskine playing an 18" bass drum with ambassadors front and back. Major punch and projection.

I think the smaller the bass drum, muffling only kills it. So I'd open it up.

Ambassador?
I assume you want an opener sound, and is that not what those heads are made for haha

Ambassador?
I assume you want an opener sound, and is that not what those heads are made for haha

You've fallen for the current marketing scheme that Ambassadors are only good for reso heads. They've actually made great bass drum batter heads since 1957. The only significant thing manufacturers have done that's new is adding that extra ring to the edge to cut down on ring. If you look closely at a PowerStroke 3 - all that head is is an Ambassador with the added edge ring. Take away the edge ring and now you have a louder head because it allows it to be more ringy. Take a ringy bass drum and play it along with guys with amps turned up to 5 and you know what you don't hear? The ring!

You can bring up the durability argument too, but it's false. Ambassadors are tough heads, the slightly thicker Emperor is even tougher. Here's how I look at it, if the drum is a dead thud, and you need more volume, what do you do? You kick it harder, running the risk of breaking the head alot sooner. If the drum is open and naturally loud and un-impeded, you won't have to work that hard to get louder, you can actually use your well-honed bass drum technique and play!

As I said, check out Peter Erskine. Or, for a more recent thing, look up Keith Carlock at the 2005 MD Festival - he was playing a 20" bass drum with regular Ambassadors or Emperors (not sure) and his sound absolutely rocked. It sounded like a bass drum, and not a cardboard box stuffed with a pillow!

You've fallen for the current marketing scheme that Ambassadors are only good for reso heads. They've actually made great bass drum batter heads since 1957. The only significant thing manufacturers have done that's new is adding that extra ring to the edge to cut down on ring. If you look closely at a PowerStroke 3 - all that head is is an Ambassador with the added edge ring. Take away the edge ring and now you have a louder head because it allows it to be more ringy. Take a ringy bass drum and play it along with guys with amps turned up to 5 and you know what you don't hear? The ring!

You can bring up the durability argument too, but it's false. Ambassadors are tough heads, the slightly thicker Emperor is even tougher. Here's how I look at it, if the drum is a dead thud, and you need more volume, what do you do? You kick it harder, running the risk of breaking the head alot sooner. If the drum is open and naturally loud and un-impeded, you won't have to work that hard to get louder, you can actually use your well-honed bass drum technique and play!

As I said, check out Peter Erskine. Or, for a more recent thing, look up Keith Carlock at the 2005 MD Festival - he was playing a 20" bass drum with regular Ambassadors or Emperors (not sure) and his sound absolutely rocked. It sounded like a bass drum, and not a cardboard box stuffed with a pillow!

Umm..... Ambassadors are DEFINITELY thinner than Emperors. Ambassadors are 10-mils; Emperors are 14-mils (two 7-mil plys).

I go Emperor's all around. The Emperor Bass heads are fat as hell.

Both 10mil, single ply. Very different heads though.

Understood. I almost prefer the Evans over the Ambassadors just because the coating stays on a good long time. But Peter using the G1's on the bass drum would be getting the same effect: a ringy unmuffled bass drum sound, which is what I'm advocating for the OP, yes?

Understood. I almost prefer the Evans over the Ambassadors just because the coating stays on a good long time. But Peter using the G1's on the bass drum would be getting the same effect: a ringy unmuffled bass drum sound, which is what I'm advocating for the OP, yes?
Agreed. Just wanted to clear that one up though : )

G1 heads were not out in 1983. It must have been some coated Evans head, but it was not a G1.

Back