Travis Barker

Yesterday, my friend asked me to learn part of one of his solos, and one of his 'remixes' of an existing drum track.
I watched the videos, and came to the conclusion that Barker relies purely on speed and thrashing big cymbals, than actually having any talent.

Yesterday, my friend asked me to learn part of one of his solos, and one of his 'remixes' of an existing drum track.
I watched the videos, and came to the conclusion that Barker relies purely on speed and thrashing big cymbals, than actually having any talent.

Rubbish, he's woodshedded and paid his dues like all the other successful drummers. Try actually transcribing note for note his parts and play them as he plays them. These parts aren't easy. He has fantastic rudimental ability.

Rubbish, he's woodshedded and paid his dues like all the other successful drummers. Try actually transcribing note for note his parts and play them as he plays them. These parts aren't easy. He has fantastic rudimental ability.

Definately.

You know jones.. I wonder sometimes how people can think guys like TB have no talent? I guess they just haven't become familiar with the foundations of drumming or else they would get it. I'm not really a Barker fan, but man.. that dude can play.

for god sake.. i never said he was the best XXXXXXXXXXXX marching drummer on the planet.. i just said hes quite good.. and he was the first to mix the marching stuff with pop/punk rock or even hip.hop music..
ive listened to jojo mayer.. in fact hes not my favourite drummer just because of the music he plays.. so what? yeah.. he plays like hell he has an amazing technique.. who cares?
travis barker is the best on his busineess and thats it.
and if you guys dont like him.. why the hell are you here..!?.. we all know hes overrated.. and thats because of the sucsess his bands had.. (maybe because of him.. --')

Last edited by a moderator:
for god sake.. i never said he was the bestXXXXXXXXXXXmarching drummer on the planet.. i just said hes quite good.. and he was the first to mix the marching stuff with pop/punk rock or even hip.hop music..
ive listened to jojo mayer.. in fact hes not my favourite drummer just because of the music he plays.. so what? yeah.. he plays like hell he has an amazing technique.. who cares?
and if you guys dont like him.. why the hell are you here..!?.. we all know hes overrated.. and thats because of the sucsess his bands had.. (maybe because of him.. --')

You've clearly proven yourself far too immature to take part in discusssion on this board. Bye.

I like Travis Barker! He is a very good, if not one of the best out & out pop/rock drummers that is lucky enough to be living the dream. On the other side of the spectrum, the likes of Neal Peart and Thomas Lang et al are both incredibly talented technicians of their instrument who cannot possibly be compared with the likes of TB. And I admire Travis for that reason, that he isn't the best technical drummer in the world, but plays for the music.

I have been impressed just recently with the amount of young talented drummers but I fear there is too much emphasis on rudiments and technique. I do understand you need technique but it seems to be becoming like a science. I think it should be about creating drama, giving people an adrenalin rush. That’s why I loved what Travis Barker did with Blink 182! In my opinion drumming is an art, not a science. It’s there to entertain. Listen to TB with 'Rock Show' and he is so groovy, it’s simple but it moves you.

Barker isn't just a heavy hitter or a speed demon. He is funky; he has much more finesse than people seem to credit him for these days. It should be about the music.

Last edited:
for god sake.. i never said he was the best marching drummer on the planet.. i just said hes quite good.. and he was the first to mix the marching stuff with pop/punk rock or even hip.hop music..

Well man, it's not about us liking or disliking him. Boo McAfee, the founder of WFD says he's a very nice guy. So I'm pretty certain I would like him if I met him. But everyone here is allowed to discuss his music if that's our wish. I mean why would ALL people come here to worship him? Isn't a fan site where you go for that? The old Blink 182 is site still up, right? I know it was a few months ago.

I do want to pick at your claim that he is some kind of innovator for mixing a flavor of marching music into his own genre. Actually people have been doing that with all kinds of music for over 100 years, and New Orleans second line drummers were incorporating the marching thing into the earliest attempts at punk/pop in the early 1980s, or when Barker was in the 1st grade. So that just didn't happen. This was followed by the same thing occuring with hip hop in the mid 1980s. Again, no.

Besides, it's time we put this mighty Barker marching band career to rest. Man, he marched maybe one full season his sophmore year in high school. That's it ...nothing more, including that fabled drum corps career that a lot Barker fans go on and on about, that also never happened. Less than one season doesn't even match up to the collective preseason marching band camps that most of us Americans go through in a normal high school career. To say that this drink of water changed him as a drummer or altered the direction of a significant drum style within an important musical evolution is beyond ridiculous, and from what I hear about Barker, would really embarrass him.

One of the reasons you don't hear anymore new urban legends about Travis Barker is because he supposedly cooled down those press agents he used to have, who were actually the ones exaggerating that stuff to begin with. . In truth, he almost had a real issue with the story about how he was practicing for the WFD world finals and planned to win it. A lot of those competitors were really lickin' their chops over that one because that absolutely wasn't going to work out well.

Then it turns out that he was this nice, cool guy who wasn't pushing any of that stuff. He had nothing to do with it. Still despite his curtailing the new stories, these old ones/ like his being a marching band demon/innovator, continue with no end in sight, because so many of his fans just won't believe the real truth.

In truth, he almost had a real issue with the story about how he was practicing for the WFD world finals and planned to win it. A lot of those competitors were really lickin' their chops over that one because that absolutely wasn't going to work out well.

I bet they were almost rabid dogs.

Well man, it's not about us liking or disliking him. Boo McAfee, the founder of WFD says he's a very nice guy. So I'm pretty certain I would like him if I met him. But everyone here is allowed to discuss his music if that's our wish. I mean why would ALL people come here to worship him? Isn't a fan site where you go for that? The old Blink 182 is site still up, right? I know it was a few months ago.

I do want to pick at your claim that he is some kind of innovator for mixing a flavor of marching music into his own genre. Actually people have been doing that with all kinds of music for over 100 years, and New Orleans second line drummers were incorporating the marching thing into the earliest attempts at punk/pop in the early 1980s, or when Barker was in the 1st grade. So that just didn't happen. This was followed by the same thing occuring with hip hop in the mid 1980s. Again, no.

Besides, it's time we put this mighty Barker marching band career to rest. Man, he marched maybe one full season his sophmore year in high school. That's it ...nothing more, including that fabled drum corps career that a lot Barker fans go on and on about, that also never happened. Less than one season doesn't even match up to the collective preseason marching band camps that most of us Americans go through in a normal high school career. To say that this drink of water changed him as a drummer or altered the direction of a significant drum style within an important musical evolution is beyond ridiculous, and from what I hear about Barker, would really embarrass him.

One of the reasons you don't hear anymore new urban legends about Travis Barker is because he supposedly cooled down those press agents he used to have, who were actually the ones exaggerating that stuff to begin with. . In truth, he almost had a real issue with the story about how he was practicing for the WFD world finals and planned to win it. A lot of those competitors were really lickin' their chops over that one because that absolutely wasn't going to work out well.

Then it turns out that he was this nice, cool guy who wasn't pushing any of that stuff. He had nothing to do with it. Still despite his curtailing the new stories, these old ones/ like his being a marching band demon/innovator, continue with no end in sight, because so many of his fans just won't believe the real truth.

The real truth is that is overrated.. so what? hes quite good at what he does.. thats my point.. in fact he is the best on the business.. pop punk.. hiphop remix's..
i'm a fan.. yeah.. but i dont think hes te greatest drummer ever.. not even close.. of course not.. we would all be lost if he was.. so what? hes good and ive heard on his albuns fills and gooves i have never heard before and i actually listen to those greats cats.. tony williams, rich, collaiuta, all the guys at the modern drummer festivals.. (just to say that i'm not a non-drummer who only listen to THAT guy)
thats all. sorry if i didnt express myself correctly.. =?

My input on this obviously popular topic. I really like his sound and I think he would sound really great in the right situation. It's unfortunate that he plays "pop-punk" because I think he could do really well in a progressive context.

I have a very unoriginal friend that went through a travis barker phase, even tried starting his own clothing line like him, hes a good drummer,(barker not the friend) but in my experience everyone I've met that likes him say he's a good drummer because they like the way he dresses, has his own show etc.,

What I'm trying to say is it's not the guy i have a problem with, its most of his fans, or mtv people in general. I hate how stupid people can be with stuff like this. The guy desevres what he has but its all these freakin little barkertards running around saying he owned so and so's favorite drummer that pisses alot of serious drummers off.

and another question, how come when you give your opinion it's called giving your two cents, but when someones wants it they say pennie for your thoughts?

Travis is the drummer everyone loves to hate.

As for his ability, he's extremely talented. And maybe he plays a lot of fast around the tom stuff, that most of us could do. But i'm sure Travis could tear up the jazz/latin as well, and not to mention having some monster chops.

and another question, how come when you give your opinion it's called giving your two cents, but when someones wants it they say pennie for your thoughts?

Maybe its becuase thier is a difference between "opinion" and "thoughts."

"Opinons" are a personal view: the view somebody takes about a certain issue, especially when it is based solely on personal judgment. "Opinons" are usually a fairly well thought out view of a specific case wether truly informed or not. The individual has dedicated some time to the thought therefore forming an "opinion." therefore its worth more to the individual giving it. 2 cents

"Thoughts" are the process of considering: the process of applying the mind to thinking about a particular person or subject. An opinion usually isn't formed by this point of time in the thought process, but its getting there. Hence, only worth a penny.

Now, I have no idea if I'm right.. but it sounds good.

I have a very unoriginal friend that went through a travis barker phase, even tried starting his own clothing line like him, hes a good drummer,(barker not the friend) but in my experience everyone I've met that likes him say he's a good drummer because they like the way he dresses, has his own show etc.,

What I'm trying to say is it's not the guy i have a problem with, its most of his fans, or mtv people in general. I hate how stupid people can be with stuff like this. The guy desevres what he has but its all these freakin little barkertards running around saying he owned so and so's favorite drummer that pisses alot of serious drummers off.

he is a very talented drummer, however i do believe your right, mtv and the hordes of emo fans know him for his clothing line or for his cars, he doesnt get enough credit as a drummer

Maybe its becuase thier is a difference between "opinion" and "thoughts."

"Opinons" are a personal view: the view somebody takes about a certain issue, especially when it is based solely on personal judgment. "Opinons" are usually a fairly well thought out view of a specific case wether truly informed or not. The individual has dedicated some time to the thought therefore forming an "opinion." therefore its worth more to the individual giving it. 2 cents

"Thoughts" are the process of considering: the process of applying the mind to thinking about a particular person or subject. An opinion usually isn't formed by this point of time in the thought process, but its getting there. Hence, only worth a penny.

Now, I have no idea if I'm right.. but it sounds good.

Great post, TG! Thank You for that.

Hee...hee... Love that last sentence! ;-)

Play On! :)

So you're saying he's both fast and excellent, but you'd prefer him to be admired for his excellence rather than his speed? Believe me, there are plenty of people admire him for the "right" reasons.

I admire him for his tattoos, but I'm not sure if that counts as one of the right reasons or not.

I haven't heard one thing from Barker that would suggest I would enjoy listening to him in a jazz setting...I don't understand how the internet, with the world at everyone's fingertips, is developing more and more people who have no idea what they're talking about. This isn't even an issue of "jazz snob" whatever. This is an issue of people's fans bragging/riling-people-up from behind their keyboards.

I'm too scared to admit it? What is this, 3rd grade?

I doubt Barker would *suggest* it, and yet some of his fans think he is infalable. That's all well and good, but it begs me to ask you: What do you think is good jazz?

Back