NDD! My Classic Maples are here!

Thanks for all the kind words and complements all. Finish can always be a a tricky thing, especially with Ludwig. When I had to revise my original choice if Black Glass Glitter due tobeing told that it is not available, I was defiantly thinking about being able to possibly add drums down the road. But after seeing a few pictures if this updated version of VBOP, I decided to take a chance. For the most part, this is the configuration that I play. I may get crazy at some point and go full Bonzo by adding another 18" floor tom, but what I have now is pretty much my standard. And after seeing this finish up close, I am happy I went a little outside of my comfort zone. My camera doesn't capture it very well, but there are some great looking Classics in the same finish on eBay and Google, and fellow drummers on this site. If they go by popularity of finishes ordered, this might be around for some time.

That, and from what I can determine, it looks as if the two like-named finishes are listed as completely different options. So, let's say you have the BOP finish and I have a VBOP finish, in theory as of now, we should be able to get finishes to match the drums we already own. And of course, tomorrow is another day. All bets are off.

Those are some beautiful drums. Enjoy them - and hang onto them.

Seeing them kicks in the nostalgia - big time.
One of my first sets quite a few years ago looked a lot like that, but in smaller sizes.
I regret selling them, but it's one of those ' who knew I'd feel like that someday ' type things.
I feel a little guilty for not getting another kit like that.
Maybe someday.

Really jealous of that wrap.

and yes,I like your's too,Bo.

I'm showing mine off here too, to show some Luddie solidarity. Enjoy. But that black oyster is growing on me too ;)

However, I'm beginning to think Road Bull's kit would look good with a smooth white emperor on the front, with a small script Ludwig logo ;)

Attachments

• Drums-in-Chicago-web.jpg
    Drums-in-Chicago-web.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 614
I'm showing mine off here too, to show some Luddie solidarity. Enjoy. But that black oyster is growing on me too ;)

However, I'm beginning to think Road Bull's kit would look good with a smooth white emperor on the front, with a small script Ludwig logo ;)

Love that kit Bo! I think its a pretty cool finish too, and not one that many others have either. But for the most part, I am just a fan of these larger drum sizes. I love going to catch a live show somewhere and I see sets like these take the stage. It sure isn't for the meek at heart. You sure have to go out of your way, and want to play these sizes. Lol.

And by all means everyone, share away! You all have some beautiful kits.

Yeah, I was on the fence about the logo. I will fly this one for a while and see how I like it. I Also like Ludwig's other small script logo as well. How do people get the smaller version of the logo I currently have, I guess the one like you have Bo?

Last edited:
VBOP is such a cool finish, glad you like your choice.
I always wanted a snare in that finish, but I always chicken out haha!

I had my smaller logos cut locally by a friend. I used the logo from the 1980 catalog, which is thinner than the logo they typically use.
I had smaller script logos cut too, but I'd have to measure them. They are also under the usual 4" size on the "Vintage" Smooth White Ludwig head.

If you'd like, I can send a PDF file of the sizes I used. That way you can get them cut yourself if you want. It's pretty cheap, and you get the look you want.

I have the script logo on my bass drums, but seeing Bo's kit, it makes me want to change it out again!

Love that kit Bo! I think its a pretty cool finish too, and not one that many others have either. But for the most part, I am just a fan of these larger drum sizes. I love going to catch a live show somewhere and I see sets like these take the stage. It sure isn't for the meek at heart. You sure have to go out of your way, and want to play these sizes. Lol.

And by all means everyone, share away! You all have some beautiful kits.

Yeah, I was on the fence about the logo. I will fly this one for a while and see how I like it. I Also like Ludwig's other small script logo as well. How do people get the smaller version of the logo I currently have, I guess the one like you have Bo?

There's a guy in Canada making replica logos out of vinyl and I actually get those and apply them myself to smooth white emperors. The size I got is 6" x 1.25". Back in the 70s Ludwig used to make them that size and applied them close to the edge but they haven't done that since so I do it myself now. On my 14x24 it looks great.

But I stick with this era logo because it's a blue-olive badge kit with the fat curved spurs and looks at home in the 1975 catalog. If it had the Keystone badge, the old script looks better.

We also have a forum member who makes the same. It's where I got my Logo for my Fiberskin head on the Renowns. His name here is Walkera1962. Prices are also very good.

Small logos make the kick look bigger!!

1174799_10201493456595735_2069706210_n.jpg

Beautiful drums. Congratulations!

Small logos make the kick look bigger!!

1174799_10201493456595735_2069706210_n.jpg

Holy cow, you are not kidding! They look huge!

Thanks all for the logo information. I will look into it when my wallet is not cowering in the corner for fear of being purged again.

So I got a chance to play the new kit for the first time yesterday. They sound beautifully loud! I am very happy. My guitarist said that he can finally hear the bass drum. I am also very glad I went with the 14" rack tom. The whole kit just sounds very full, with good tones with a fairly wide range of tuning. My first go at it was a bit rushed due to trying to make a show that night, but we practice again on Saturday and have a show Saturday night. It will be awesome!

I have not experienced much in the way of the double bounce that some people complain about when they go to a 26" bass drum without a port. I don't plan on porting it for a while. Let the sound men deal I suppose.

The only issue that I am having is that the bass pedal came off twice during our practice. I believe it's due to playing on carpet that is somewhat thick, and having a drum rug over that, (to protect said carpet). The bass drum on the batter side bounces up and down, eventually letting the bass pedal work itself free. I will try raising the bass, via the spurs, a bit to help keep the rear down. That, and I will work out a new carpet strategy. I might get a thinner carpet, and or, bolting a two-by-four to the front of the carpet to help anchor the bass drum. I don't think it is moving forward really, just jumping up and down.

Beautiful Kit. How is the finish / bearing edges, chrome plating? Everything up to snuff?

BTW - its about $60 for a regular 22" head in the UK, so no complaining please! :)

Beautiful Kit. How is the finish / bearing edges, chrome plating? Everything up to snuff?

BTW - its about $60 for a regular 22" head in the UK, so no complaining please! :)

Thank you sir. The finish is better in real life, and far better than most pictures capture. I really like how it came out. It matches our Seattle weather here. I am glad I went in this direction. The bearing edges are great. I can really only compare them to the two different Tama kits I own the Granstar and the Artstar, both very nice. It does seem like Ludwig doesn't go quite as glassy smooth as my old Tamas per memory. Both are done very well, it just seems that Tama has more of a satin finish to the inside of their drums. The chrome looks great. I take care of my gear and transport them only in Protection Racket soft padded drum cases, so I am hoping they look as good yeas down the road as they do right now. The hoops on the bass drum are very sharp looking. The inlay is very classy and the black finish on the inside of the hoop is super smooth and beautiful.

The sound is better than the sound I had in my head. I love these larger sizes. They thunder! The bass drum can be heard easily through a wall of amps and speakers. They don't get drowned out like my Artstar Custom 22" bass kit did as much when competing with my lager Paistes. To be fair, I am running all 2002s. 24" Ride, 22" Crash, 24" Reverend Al's Big Ride (crash), 20" Novo China, and 15" SE hats. So, they had their work cut out for them for sure. But the bass just has a healthy amount of volume on tap. My guitarist really dug it.

ok.. I wont go on too much about expensive bass heads here. That is pretty rough. I am excited to have a chance to play them out in the wild on Saturday.

First show with the Classics. I really like how they sound. We played a show with minimal PA support, just vocals. I could actually hear my bass drum through the din of all the guitar and bass amps. That was a refreshing change I'll tell you. I am still troubleshooting the bass jump thing. I went to Home Depot and picked up a 3x5' low-pile, rubber backed entry way mat. I think it will work much better over all. I also cut a 3x5' section of 1/4" plywood for a more stable platform for the practice room. In addition to all that, I got a one foot section of 4x4" to act as a bass drum brake. The plan will be to bolt it to the front of the low-pile mat. My curved bass spurs did a pretty good job at the show, however the bass pedal still managed to come loose once. I might try backing the bass pedal spikes totally off so that I am just using the Velcro on my DW 9002s to anchor. I did raise my bass drum about 1 1/2" off the floor. I will find this bass drums sweet stable spot if it kills me. lol.

Sorry for the bad pic. My camera on my phone is weak and someone came up and attached some lights to my stands, even before I was done setting up.... I am sure he meant well, and might have been going for some sweet pic, but it just made it harder for me to see stuff.

Attachments

• Classics live.jpg
    Classics live.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 440
I now have a bass brake attached to my drum rug. The bass isn't going anywhere now.

I bolted a one foot length of 4x4" treated wood to the front of my drum carpet. So now there are four bolts that go through a metal section on the underside of the carpet and are secured with nuts on the topside. Low-tech and effective. The wood only makes contact with two of my bass drum claws. I just didn't want someone throwing a cinder block in front of my new bass drum to have it chew on the pretty hoops.

Next time, I might just do this for where the spurs lay. Essentially the same thing, but on a smaller scale on both sides of the drum.

Attachments

• creep fix - 1.jpg
    creep fix - 1.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 340
  • creep fix - 2.jpg
    creep fix - 2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 336
  • creep fix - 3.jpg
    creep fix - 3.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 333
OK, I played a show tonight. My new Remo Ambassador head came just in time to goo-gone the Remo logo off, slap on a Ludwig logo that I got in the mail, and set it up on the kit with a felt strip. Sounded pretty good. I will have to continue to mess around with the sound to get it dialed in the way I want it. But for now, it sounds great.

Also the got a chance to use the new Pearl S1030 snare stand as my rack stand. It is awesome. It is rock-solid, has the height I want, and is straight forward in its design. Love it. And... I had a chance to play with my Big Block, Bass Brake. It kept things nice and anchored. No slippage through a pretty heavy set. Love it.

Sorry for, yet again, another blurry photo, but I suppose its better than nothing.

Attachments

• Flux some noise.jpg
    Flux some noise.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 248
OK, I played a show tonight. My new Remo Ambassador head came just in time to goo-gone the Remo logo off, slap on a Ludwig logo that I got in the mail, and set it up on the kit with a felt strip. Sounded pretty good. I will have to continue to mess around with the sound to get it dialed in the way I want it. But for now, it sounds great.

Also the got a chance to use the new Pearl S1030 snare stand as my rack stand. It is awesome. It is rock-solid, has the height I want, and is straight forward in its design. Love it. And... I had a chance to play with my Big Block, Bass Brake. It kept things nice and anchored. No slippage through a pretty heavy set. Love it.

Sorry for, yet again, another blurry photo, but I suppose its better than nothing.

those drums look great. i spy a verellen amp back there, rad!

those drums look great. i spy a verellen amp back there, rad!

Yes sir! You are correct. A Verellen amp indeed. We have amassed quite a bit of gear. Those Verellens sound sweet. But he equally loves his Simms-Watt head, and his Sunn 1200. Bassist plays though a 400 watt Peavy Classic tube head, as well as some, unknown to me, Plush head. With lots, and lots, of speakers. LOL. They are plenty loud.

btw.. good eyes! My phone excels at taking low resolution, blurry pictures. It's amazing. Stay away from Motorola smartphones.... lol.

Back