has anyone made a metal version of dw's QUICK TURN HANDLE

I understand that DW stands are viewed as being in the top notch category of drumming hardware to most drummers, but to others they are viewed as being overpriced and ineffective. This is understandable because each person has their own opinion on this subject, however, this interested me because I am a fan of DW. I began to read reviews on DW stands and there was one thing that stuck out to me and that was the material that DW's quick turn handle is made out of. It can be seen on most high class DW stands (mainly I'm speaking of the 9000 series) that the handles are made out of, what is said to be, plastic. Most of the reviews that did not speak highly of DW hardware had most of the negativity mainly directed at the DW plastic quick turn handle. Many people including very experienced musicians expressed their distaste for DW hardware because of the experience they have had with the handle breaking in transport from show to show or it's un-durable performance in any other situation.

So instead of talking about the durability of the curent handel, my question is this: Has anyone made or found a metal version of DW's quick turn handle (DWSMQTH) that looks similar to the original or will perform as good or better than the original product? Im not talking just nuts and bolt here, but those would be acceptable if they looked good.

I've wondered why they can't just make it out of aluminum or steel? Their wing nuts are made of steel? I'm not talking aircraft alloy or anything like that...

That would be a hassle having to order them if they broke. I have all DW9000 stands and gear (too many) in my studio, but take my Pacific/PDP 900 series stands on the road.

Much of their stuff is overengineered. Don't get me started on their DW9000 pedal - LOL!

I guess buy the turn handles in bulk until a solid replacement appears?

I thought I saw something similar in metal, but after looking, I couldn't find anything.
The only thing I've seen close was Sonor's older Signature stands with small metal levers. Might have had the design that the handle lifted out so you could turn it easier, but not sure on that.

I've had DW stands with the Quick Turn with no problem for close to 20 years.
No issues at all, & the piece DW has used for the last several years is fatter than the original turner too.

I take care of my gear, but I don't "baby it" either (it's just not thrown 4 feet away into a case). Things get piled up & set on top of each other in the case.

Must be some unsecured gear banging around in a case on a truck, or some pretty rough handling maybe if people are telling you they break them. The piece itself would have to be bashed pretty good to break--or get thrown from 4 or 5 feet away into a case one too many times....

I can see them stripping if the stands are used as rental/back line gear all the time. That stuff goes through the ringer.
Stage crews can over tighten everything. If it's cranked a few times with an unreasonable amount of force, the teeth will eventually strip and the piece won't work.

But just an average working drummer, even one that gigs a lot should have no problem with it IMO.

Everyone's experience is different, but I've never had an issue, and no one that I know that owns these stands has ever said anything about having a problem either.

Worldwide reviews...who knows what people do to their gear.

I've never had problems with the breaking of a quick turn handle on DW products. The problems that would probably pop-up if they were made of metal would be the stripping of every stand or mount that the metal handle would be mounted to. You can really exert a lot of torque when using those handles. I would much rather replace a plastic handle than something of a much serious nature. I had a situation a few weeks ago when using the quick turn handle on a lock bolt on my DW tom rail mount. I completely broke off the head of the key head bolt that locks the mount using a quick turn handle drum key . The bolt had to be drilled out.

Dennis

Here's a page from the McMaster Carr catalog. They have cast zinc and stainless steel handles with a 5/16" thread like the DW handles. You'd just have to determine the length that would work for your application. There are other options in the catalog but this should give you an idea of the sort of thing that is available.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/2224/=gksuol

Although it's not DW, I have broken 2 of my 3 handles on my Mapex B700 stands, which is a very similar design. The protrusion doesn't Kendal itself to heavy touring, and it's a PITA to have to pull out the sheared handle to adjust anything. The Tama roadmap stands have the same infinite adjustment system, but with a metal wingnut, which is way sturdier. I have also queried why they don't just make them out of metal!!!!

Back