Sad Truth about my Gibraltar stands.....

Not to try and sound cocky or rude, but what does that have to do with anything?
Does that affect something?

Yeah, it means you have to buy a whole new kit every three months with some magic beans.

Maybe the reason they rocked back and forth (or was it to and fro?) was because, (follow me here) if the tripod legs, viewed from the ceiling, are pointing in the direction of 12 o'clock, 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock...the boom needs to be pointing in the direction of 12 o'clock, 4 o'clock or 8 o'clock.

If the boom is pointing to say 2 o'clock, 6 o'clock, or 10 o'clock...that's when they fall over.
Your stand is fine. The way your legs point in relation to the boom, that's the problem.

DW's will do the same thing, any boom will.

Whoops, just realized Phillippe already said this.

Maybe the reason they rocked back and forth (or was it to and fro?) was because, (follow me here) if the tripod legs, viewed from the ceiling, are pointing in the direction of 12 o'clock, 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock...the boom needs to be pointing in the direction of 12 o'clock, 4 o'clock or 8 o'clock.

If the boom is pointing to say 2 o'clock, 6 o'clock, or 10 o'clock...that's when they fall over.
Your stand is fine. The way your legs point in relation to the boom, that's the problem.

DW's will do the same thing, any boom will.

Whoops, just realized Phillippe already said this.

My boom was always aligned with one of my legs, I know that already :).
I'm just not sure why this happened, but I solved the problem.

It sounds like your legs may not be spread far enough apart.

Judging by the video I watched of you, joey, when you posted this your cymbals were cranked up about head high and you were striking them pretty much at right angles into the edge. With a stroke like that, the cymbal can't move because you're hammering it back into the cymbal tilter. So yes, your cymbal stands were what moved.

If you've indeed done what you say you have, lowered your stands closer to the top of your rack tom, and brought the boom in so that you actually have a lower center of gravity, and strike across the cymbal in glancing blows - I bet those stands will act a lot more stable.

Looking at the picture that is currently your avatar, you have captioned, "Don't worry, I've lowered the cymbals!" With your toms that low, you could actually bring your crashes down until they're even with your hi-hats. You might notice improved accessibility that way...

Judging by the video I watched of you, joey, when you posted this your cymbals were cranked up about head high and you were striking them pretty much at right angles into the edge. With a stroke like that, the cymbal can't move because you're hammering it back into the cymbal tilter. So yes, your cymbal stands were what moved.

If you've indeed done what you say you have, lowered your stands closer to the top of your rack tom, and brought the boom in so that you actually have a lower center of gravity, and strike across the cymbal in glancing blows - I bet those stands will act a lot more stable.

Looking at the picture that is currently your avatar, you have captioned, "Don't worry, I've lowered the cymbals!" With your toms that low, you could actually bring your crashes down until they're even with your hi-hats. You might notice improved accessibility that way...

I'll do that now actually! Lets see how it works out!
Also visit my other thread titled: BEST DEAL EVERRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back