...for the jazz cats ...

Speaking to the Jazz Cats from the Department of My Wife Really Loves Me.... For Christmas, she got us tickets to see the Charleston Jazz Orchestra do a night of Coltrane.

She must really love me because she knows I am a Jazz Cat, not a player yet but a lover of. To her, Parker, Coltrane and especially Miles sounds like alcoholics tuning up. She once commented that Dave Brubeck sounded like a lounge piano player and she could envision a piano and a brandy snifter full of 1 dollar bills. She really does not get, like, understand, enjoy Jazz. But to each their own. So to buy a pair of tickets to a night of Coltrane would be like my buying her tickets to a taping of Say Yes to the Dress.

Speaking to the Jazz Cats from the Department of My Wife Really Loves Me.... For Christmas, she got us tickets to see the Charleston Jazz Orchestra do a night of Coltrane.

She must really love me because she knows I am a Jazz Cat, not a player yet but a lover of. To her, Parker, Coltrane and especially Miles sounds like alcoholics tuning up. She once commented that Dave Brubeck sounded like a lounge piano player and she could envision a piano and a brandy snifter full of 1 dollar bills. She really does not get, like, understand, enjoy Jazz. But to each their own. So to buy a pair of tickets to a night of Coltrane would be like my buying her tickets to a taping of Say Yes to the Dress.

I actually agree with her about Brubeck.:)

Has anyone of you cats given this album a listen?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Skw5nRoDfs
It's Larry Young's album Into Somethin'- the one he did just before the famous Unity. Elvin Jones on drums, Sam Rivers(aka the saxophonist that discovered Tony Williams at age 13), and Grant Green on guitar. It hasn't been released on CD yet(Blue Note needs to open up their old catalogue)! Elvin's playing isn't as noteworthy as it is on Unity, but it's overall a great album and Grant Green's presence adds quite a bit- especially if you're into the interplay between a guitarist and organist.

It's Larry Young's album Into Somethin'- the one he did just before the famous Unity. Elvin Jones on drums, Sam Rivers(aka the saxophonist that discovered Tony Williams at age 13), and Grant Green on guitar. It hasn't been released on CD yet(Blue Note needs to open up their old catalogue)! Elvin's playing isn't as noteworthy as it is on Unity, but it's overall a great album and Grant Green's presence adds quite a bit- especially if you're into the interplay between a guitarist and organist.

Great post, thanks for sharing!

had not heard this record

I have a feeling I'll be diving into this one

thank you

8Mile I couldn't agree more about Tony...just loved the early 60's playing the most.
philosafari Thanks for the info on Larry Young. I have had Unity for a long time and love
his playing with Elvin et al. Always great to hear more Larry and group.

wow

thank you for sharing

I had not heard him play since he was very young and he was playing more rock and hip hop

he sounds amazing

Thanks for posting- that is some good stuff!! Very enjoyable and willcertainly keep an eye out for them if they pass through New York City.

Here's the Vector Trio doing what they do. The trumpet player is a buddy of mine. I have four of their CDs. Is it jazz? I think so.

Dig what Marshal's doing on the drums. These guys are super creative.

A_4o9o9CcAAW0yQ.jpg:large

Here's a 16th note lick Art Taylor plays during his solo intro in Countdown (from Coltrane's Giant Steps). Sounds cool at high tempos.

Some great stuff posted here over the past few days. That clip of Roy's grandson is amazing.

Speaking of Roy, I've come to the conclusion that this is a desert island disc. Just amazing music and Roy's playing is inspirational.

Roy-Haynes-Quartet-Out-of-the-Afternoon.jpg

Back